What's new

Is The Seiko 5 a Good Watch

but the one that has stood the test of time, and had by far lasted the longest has been Steinhart. My current daily driver is going on 3 years, which has to be a record for me. It’s still accurate to under minute a week and while it has some wear, it still still looks good enough to leave on even if I’m going out. I ordered directly from the company. Shipping and delivery from Germany was flawless.

Probably a nice watch? Pricing seems to be around 5x the price of a Seiko 5.

Durable, reliable, good lume, reasonably priced—-what’s not to like?

Quite right! There are many options available when it comes to automatic watch movements.

I doubt if any of them are the quality of the Seiko 5 for the price of the Seiko 5?

Did they ever have screw down crowns and a real "dive" Seiko 5?
I can't remember any.
I'm not 100% sure in the Seiko5 line, but they did with other lines of Divers that were more money. I don't think they had so many versions of Divers before they discontinued the SKX### dive watches. Those were always the budget dive watches from Seiko. Seiko and Citizen have so many models, market specific models and change them so often, it's hard to keep up.

The new Seiko5 Dive watches are quite nice looking though with better movement and color options. Most of us don't need 200m anyways, it's just a bragging and status thing.

Seiko 5 -- Very good quality automatic watches that punch way, way above their price level -- nigh well impossible to get watches that good for less. What movement? I have 3 Seiko 5's, one in the old 7S26 non hacking, non hand-windable movement -- nonetheless, still a great everyday timepiece. My other two Seiko 5's are the newer, larger-cased items with the 4R36 caliber which have hacking and hand winding capabilities. Both the 7S26 and 4R36 are workhorse movements that generally keep great time right out of the box, and with adjustment, can keep time as good as all but the very most costly "Swiss Name" movements -- which, by the way, do not always meet their specs, regardless of adjustment! I can't say enough good about Seiko's presentations - you simply cannot get better quality than the watch cases, bracelets and bands used by Seiko. Yes, the higher the price, the better the luxury level, but "quality" is defined as sufficiency in meeting a specification, and if the spec is price, the quality of what Seiko does with the "5", or any other watch they make at any price level, is hard to beat. I also have a Chinese made automatic with a nice case and a screw-down crown and 200 meters water resistance, and it has the Seiko NH36 movement which is the same as the 4R36 except it is not Seiko-labled, as Seiko supplies it to other manufacturers. Yes, that watch was obtained new for less than $70 on eBay, but it seems to be every bit as good in function as a Seiko 5, though the finish of it's case is not as fine. Neither is the leather band a top notch item, but it is a surprisingly good one for the price. A little massage with a leather conditioner, and it is supple and hard to differentiate from a good Barton strap.

Cheers!
Tony

The new Seiko5 Dive watches are quite nice looking though with better movement and color options. Most of us don't need 200m anyways, it's just a bragging and status thing.

A dive watch has become more of a undefined term now days.

Like the cable that holds your elevator up, you want a divers watch that exceeds its specifications by a good margin.

Since it is not uncommon for recreational divers to exceed 100' in depth, it is definitely a good idea to have that same measure of protection in a dive watch.

A divers watch should have a protected screw down bezel, a 316L stainless steel case, a strong lume, a sapphire crystal and a bezel that only rotates in one direction.

For example, the Vostock Amphibian "divers looking" watch has a depth rating of 200m but has a bezel that rotates in both directions.

proxy.php

From an Amazon review:

"Other than depth and pressure criteria, the watch completely falls short of the ISO 6425 dive watch criteria. The lume is completely useless, and the friction fit bidirectional bezel could pose a hazard".

To meet ISO 6425 standards, each individual watch must be tested to be certified.

Keeping track of your time underwater is absolutely essential at deep depths. At 60', you have a bottom time of 60-minutes. At 90', your bottom time is reduced by half to 30-minutes.

This is not a matter of running out of air, divers have a submersible pressure gage for that. When you breath in air under pressure, you are breathing in nitrogen, which is absorbed into your tissues. It is vital to limit this nitrogen absorption by limiting your bottom time.

Having a bezel that rotates in two directions on a divers watch is an extremely bad and dangerous idea.

Other than this, for $106 on Amazon, the Vostock is a nice watch.

The Invicta, which uses a Seiko movement and has a unidirectional bezel.

For the value, its hard to beat a Casio G-Shock.

Casio G-Shock 9052

Casio G-Shock DW9052​

Specifications: Price: $46, Case Size: 48.5mm, Thickness: 14.7mm, Lug-to-Lug: 48mm, Lug Width: 19mm, Water Resistance: 200m, Movement: Quartz Casio, Battery Life: 2 Years, Crystal: Mineral Glass

"Hardy, cheap, and reliable are all words that perfectly describe what is perhaps the best truly inexpensive dive watch in the world, Casio’s G-Shock DW9052. This is a watch which was for years standard issue at the Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center in Panama City Beach, FL, given to divers right along with their fins, masks, and knives. Used by everyone from US Navy SEALs to Home Depot dads, the DW9052 does everything it needs to do in terms of underwater time telling, with a simple to use stopwatch feature, while being virtually indestructible, exactly what military and civilian divers need."

Many "divers looking" watches even specify that they shouldn't be used while swimming...

While we are chatting it up and showing off our watches (I vote the Grand Seiko best watch ever, but the 809 best everyday Everyman watch) I think the OP is either snoozing or went on a non broadband vacation. ;)

Sherlock40 Can I interest you in a rather extensive vintage Gillette collection for that Snowflake?

I don’t own any Seiko 5 watches but some are intriguing, such as the GMT however, I think I’d rather give my money to Long Island Watch. Lots of bang for your buck with the Islanders watches.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
Can you tell me what you mean by damaged @doctordial ?

Can you tell me what you mean by damaged @doctordial ?

Issues with the movement or outside events (water, impacts).

I don't know if you got my first reply so here it goes again. The first Seiko 5 I had, I broke the crystal while working on my car. It eventually got moisture in it and the stem rusted. The second one I had the stem never went all the way in and I wore it to bed and it got caught on a losse thread and when I moved my arm the stem broke inside the watch. The third one I was wearing duri g the hot summer months and the rear crystal stuck to my wrist and came off. I took it to a watch repair shop and had a new crystal put back on. It cost more than what I paid for the watch. It got condensation in it. It will work for a few hours and stop. Everytime I call a watch repair place about fixing these watches I'm told to throw them away because it will cost to much to fix them unless I have sentimental value for them. I really like the Arabic faces on them, but this is getting to be a bummer.

Issues with the movement or outside events (water, impacts).

I don't know if you got my reply, but here it goes. The first Seiko 5 I had I broke thon e crystal while working

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
A dive watch has become more of a undefined term now days.

Like the cable that holds your elevator up, you want a divers watch that exceeds its specifications by a good margin.

Since it is not uncommon for recreational divers to exceed 100' in depth, it is definitely a good idea to have that same measure of protection in a dive watch.

A divers watch should have a protected screw down bezel, a 316L stainless steel case, a strong lume, a sapphire crystal and a bezel that only rotates in one direction.

For example, the Vostock Amphibian "divers looking" watch has a depth rating of 200m but has a bezel that rotates in both directions.

proxy.php

From an Amazon review:

"Other than depth and pressure criteria, the watch completely falls short of the ISO 6425 dive watch criteria. The lume is completely useless, and the friction fit bidirectional bezel could pose a hazard".

To meet ISO 6425 standards, each individual watch must be tested to be certified.

Keeping track of your time underwater is absolutely essential at deep depths. At 60', you have a bottom time of 60-minutes. At 90', your bottom time is reduced by half to 30-minutes.

This is not a matter of running out of air, divers have a submersible pressure gage for that. When you breath in air under pressure, you are breathing in nitrogen, which is absorbed into your tissues. It is vital to limit this nitrogen absorption by limiting your bottom time.

Having a bezel that rotates in two directions on a divers watch is an extremely bad and dangerous idea.

Other than this, for $106 on Amazon, the Vostock is a nice watch.

The Invicta, which uses a Seiko movement and has a unidirectional bezel.

For the value, its hard to beat a Casio G-Shock.

Casio G-Shock 9052

Casio G-Shock DW9052​

Specifications: Price: $46, Case Size: 48.5mm, Thickness: 14.7mm, Lug-to-Lug: 48mm, Lug Width: 19mm, Water Resistance: 200m, Movement: Quartz Casio, Battery Life: 2 Years, Crystal: Mineral Glass

"Hardy, cheap, and reliable are all words that perfectly describe what is perhaps the best truly inexpensive dive watch in the world, Casio’s G-Shock DW9052. This is a watch which was for years standard issue at the Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center in Panama City Beach, FL, given to divers right along with their fins, masks, and knives. Used by everyone from US Navy SEALs to Home Depot dads, the DW9052 does everything it needs to do in terms of underwater time telling, with a simple to use stopwatch feature, while being virtually indestructible, exactly what military and civilian divers need."

Many "divers looking" watches even specify that they shouldn't be used while swimming...
The thing about g shocks ….
I’ve never met anyone who can figure out how to use any of the functions! 🤬
4 buttons with about a million combinations to press to set or have it work. Way to complicated for me.
Give me a basic automatic movement any day.

4 buttons with about a million combinations to press to set or have it work. Way to complicated for me.

I agree! I have never had the need or reason for a multi-function watch. That is a problem with many things today. There are too many functions and a steep learning curve.

That is the problem with most things that are technology related.. you have to "learn" in order to accomplish even simple tasks.

Then, even if it does something that you occasionally find useful, once you learn it, you may not need to access it on a regular basis, so you have to go back to the manual time and time again!

Before retiring, I operated a motel for a decade. Since I was on the premises pretty much 24/7, I only wore my watch when I went out on errands.

Now, because I have a smartphone, the functions of a watch become even less important. I don't even need a day or date complication. Don't even need numbers or a second hand.

I was thinking more along these lines...

proxy.php

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I agree! I have never had the need or reason for a multi-function watch. That is a problem with many things today. There are too many functions and a steep learning curve.

That is the problem with most things that are technology related.. you have to "learn" in order to accomplish even simple tasks.

Then, even if it does something that you occasionally find useful, once you learn it, you may not need to access it on a regular basis, so you have to go back to the manual time and time again!

Before retiring, I operated a motel for a decade. Since I was on the premises pretty much 24/7, I only wore my watch when I went out on errands.

Now, because I have a smartphone, the functions of a watch become even less important. I don't even need a day or date complication. Don't even need numbers or a second hand.

I was thinking more along these lines...

proxy.php
Time is a rough estimate on that one
Might as well stick with a sun dial 🤩

I wear a watch. I bought a small seiko desk clock (the tiny clock on the laptop is too small) because looking at my wrist is too much effort apparently.

That sounds really frustrating. Are those dials aftermarket or original Seiko issue? A loose back or a crown that can’t be fully closed is not something that you hear often. Most complaints are about misalignments/sloppy dials and Bezels.

Time is a rough estimate on that one
Might as well stick with a sun dial 🤩

Either one would be fine for me these days...

Even simple simple can become complicated.

proxy.php

They make a one handed watch and then they loose track of the concept behind simplicity.

I can tell the difference between day and night. With this 24-hour version, you need to relearn how to tell time.

How about this model for one hand simplicity?

proxy.php

Even simple can be complicated!

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I agree. I hate digital watches for exactly this reason.

Top Bottom