What's new

is the omega 100049 boar any good?

I picked one up for $6 two years ago during a Black Friday sale. I have to say that of my five brushes - a silvertip, two synthetics, and a little travel boar brush, the Omega 10049 is my favorite brush. I face lather exclusively and once that brush is broken in it has the best feel for face lathering of any brush I've tried. It's inexpensive - pick one up!

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a black omega 100049. I'm a synthetic guy, but wanted to try my first boar brush. I read a lot of good reviews about this particular brush. I know it's a lather monster. What is the quickest way to break this brush in? Can I immediately shave with it when I get the brush without any problems? thanks

I picked one up for $6 two years ago during a Black Friday sale. I have to say that of my five brushes - a silvertip, two synthetics, and a little travel boar brush, the Omega 10049 is my favorite brush. I face lather exclusively and once that brush is broken in it has the best feel for face lathering of any brush I've tried. It's inexpensive - pick one up!

I just did. Came to 13 dollars. Very very good price for a big boar brush indeed. ;)

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a black omega 100049. I'm a synthetic guy, but wanted to try my first boar brush. I read a lot of good reviews about this particular brush. I know it's a lather monster. What is the quickest way to break this brush in? Can I immediately shave with it when I get the brush without any problems? thanks

I cleaned mine first in some borax because it had some funk. The odor or lack there of of your brush will indicate how much time cleaning or test lathering you want to do. As far as feel I recall it being fine right out of the box although I think I palm or bowl lathered initially just because I was taken aback a little by its size. Will only get better as you use it too.

If you can't deal with some shedding and smell, maybe you shouldn't try boar brushes. Most of them shed a little, especially on first few uses. Same goes with the smell. The stink will go away, but it needs some use. With boar brushes, using them makes them better. They stop stinking, they don't shed as much, and they get softer. If you can deal with initial smell, some shedding and stiffness, go for synthetic.

Hi [MENTION=36688]jonwilson[/MENTION]! I think it's a great brush from what I've read. Here's a helpful thread about getting the funk out of a brush. It shouldn't take long.

Put it to use. After 15 or so uses it should be nice, soft and smelling good. Smell is not that bad on a new boar, guess some folks may have sensitive noses.

My go to for the past three years. Use mostly with hard soaps like pre de provence that needs alot of water. It's also great with Italian croaps. Not to sure about it with creams where softer hairs might be needed. Might be a hard water problem.

Mine smelled a little bit like pork rinds. I soaked it a couple times in dishwashing liquid and water because it was making me hungry. The smell was gone after a week. Might have a lost dozen hairs in it's life so it's doing better than me.

You didn't mention it but the handle is large and comfortable.

Last edited:
Jon,
When your new Pro 49 arrives, soak it for an hour in shampoo and water, that will remove any smell. Best way to break it in is to use it, the bristles will split and it will feel softer. It's probably the best boar brush in its price range, and that's not a small comment as others have testified. From another perspective, I teach traditional wet shaving classes in barbering schools and the Pro 49 is my brush of choice.
They not only perform well but handle the mistakes/abuse of students learning.

Very nice brush, no smell.
Mine started to shed after twelve months.
Ordered synthetic Omega, if not happy will order another Pro 49

Do you all find the 49 or any of the omega pro brushes too big for face lathering? They sure look huge to me. I haven't tried the bigger omega boar brushes yet because I can't find any locally.

The Omega 10049 is probably the best value in shaving brushes (I got mine for $5.00 on a Black Friday sale). There are better boars out there, but they cost a lot more.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Do you all find the 49 or any of the omega pro brushes too big for face lathering?

Not at all. You'd think it would be, but it just isn't. I switched to face lathering several months ago, and I think I now use my 49 more than I did when I bowl lathered. I keep trying to rotate it out, but it just stays on my counter.

I totally agree with TexLaw. It's still a good bowl brush but more enjoyable directly on the face. Overall great brush.

It is an awesome brush. I believe there is a brush chronicles thread on this site that will tell you all about this brush.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom