What's new

is the omega 100049 boar any good?

I have only used one boar brush before and it was a crappy vdh. Shed like crazy. How is the 100049? Does it shed like crazy and does it smell very bad? I LOVE big brushes, so that is what is driving me to the 100049. Is it a good face latherer? I just don't wanna buy a boar brush that is going to constantly lose hairs. pLEASE let me know if the 100049 sheds like crazy and has a bad smell.

Last edited:
I have an Omega 10049 and I don't think it ever lost a hair. It is really great at bowl lathering. I don't care for any boar brush for face lathering. It must be me but I just can't seem to get any to work for me. But you can't go wrong with the 49. A lot of guys here use it for face lathering.

I have had a 49 for a few weeks, and it has yet to shed a hair. There was a bit of smell initially but it was minor and disappeared quickly. It is breaking in well, and I'm loving it for face lathering. The tips are getting softer, though they were never to scratchy for me from the get go, and it has great backbone. I do spend a little more time loading than I do with most of my other brushes, but that doesn't bother me. It can hold a ton of lather, and paints it on very well.

+1 on the Omega 10049 Boar brush. AKA Omega Pro 49. Works well with soaps/creams & I have not seen any shedding. The slight smell goes away after several days. I don't have a sensitive nose though.

I have one and like it (my favorite is probably never going to be a Boar brush). I like the Semogue Owners Club Boar better, but it is quite a bit more expensive. My 49 has not lost many if any bristles, and after the break-in period it is soft and scrubby, it could hold just a bit more lather, but for the price I paid I am MORE than happy with it. I would definitely recommend you get one if you're interested in a new Boar brush.

My 49 hardly smelled when I received it, and in the four months I've had it has only shed *maybe* a half-dozen hairs. I use it for face-lathering Arko and bowl-lathering C.O. Bigelow.

Buy it, you won't be disappointed.

10049 is one of the best of Omega boar brushes. I used it when i was a newbie. I nearly always face lathering. It is a little big but no really big problem for face lathering.
Now i have 21762. 21762 AKA italian flag has nearly same big Knot but better handle. It is recommended.

I am using Omega 10049 for more than 2 years and it has shed only 3-4 hairs initially. Now that it is well broken in , it's tips are really soft and it creates huge amounts of lather. A really nice brush to have !

My first boar was an Omega Pro 48, which is a bit bigger than the Pro 49. But I got a Pro 49 about a month ago.

I face lather with it and the Pro 49 holds plenty of lather for 3+ passes. Mine didn't shed much and has stopped at this point, unlike my Zenith brushes. None of my boar brushes have smelled much, and I have a pretty good sense of smell.

The thing's so cheap, I think it's an easy buy. Grab a Pro 49 at the same time, or maybe a Semogue that strikes you. You had a bad boar, now it's time for some good ones! :thumbup1:

I have a 49, and a bunch of Semogues, and badgers, shavemac 2 bands and some TGN finest. I have to admit the 49 is one of my favorites in spite of being cheapest brush I purchased. I like that is doesn't bloom as much as the semogues (just my personal preference), it picks up soap with no problem and lathers (hand or face) beautifully . It occasionally loses a hair and it does have a scent which still slightly lingers but since I have been using it more lately its fading. I think its too cheap not to purchase and I find I have been reaching for it a lot lately, it just works.

I just used my 49 this morning. I face lathered Tabac and, I guess because it is so big, the lather builds up really quickly. I have used it only about 10 or 15 times now, so it is just getting broken in. It has shed a few hairs, but not enough to be of concern. Mine had no smell at all, even on the first shave. I have another Omega that I have been using for about a year that still puts out a little funk now and then. Not the 49, though. I really like it for both face and bowl lathering. As far as big boars go, I think I like it at least as much as my Semogue Owner's Club which I find to be a bit of a lather hog.

Like everyone has said, it's a great brush. Doesn't shed, no overpowering smell (a slight one that went away quickly).

I used mine this morning!

Great all round brush. I don't remember any funky smells and it doesn't loose many hairs except due to stress on the hairs which do periodically break once in a while. If you don't abuse the brush by using hot water and/or mashing it to your face, the bowl or soap you will not likely loose many hairs. I have the 10083 which is the same series as the Pro 49 and it is my daily driver.

Awesome value for the money. I hope you enjoy using yours.

I love my Pro 49! I use it for face lathering, but I have a large mug (face that is). I know people complain about the smell, but none of my boars have really smelled. Mine has shed a hair or two, but not often. It is probably one of the best brushes for the money.

I love my 48 and 49.
It can lather on your face
It can lather any place
I do so love them here or there,
i love my omegas everywhere.
Try them try them and you may!
Try them and you may I say!

IMO, yes, it is. It was my first boar brush. The only reason it is not my daily brush is that I like the B&B Essential boar a little better. Still have my '49, and it's not going anywhere.

Top Bottom