What's new

Is the Merkur Futur worth it?

Ok so as the title pretty well explains I am considering the Merkur Futur. My main concern is lots of people seem to say that it is SUPER aggressive. I have only tried a few razors so far i.e. Gillette SS and Red tip. I didn't really care for the red tip but i think that was in part due to the dollar general blades. I have had the opportunity to use a Velvet razor that was extremely mild, that however made me irritate the crap out of my face due to needing extra passes to get it to actually cut down. A little info about me: With carts I shaved once a week due to slower growth, I don't usually get very long or very wiry hair. I seem to have pretty sensitive skin that does not like too many passes regardless of direction. and im really new to D/E only have about 6 or so shaves under my belt. Can anyone give me some suggestions/opinions towards the Futur? I also considered the gillette adjustables but it seems most of them go for about $20 less than the Futur. Any help/tips will be greatly appreciated!

I have one; it's one of my favorite razors. But I would wait to try it until you're getting consistently good, comfortable shaves with your Red Tip. It is fairly aggressive even on its low settings. As far as fit and finish, no complaints. It's pretty and well made.

You only have 6 shaves, which means your technique is still in the early stages. Probably worth sticking with one razor (like the SS) for at least a month while you get the hang of things.

Last edited:
I had a Futur quite a few years ago and it was a good razor. My major complaint in the end was that because of the bulk of the head, it was difficult to shave close under my nose. Merkur's Progress is another one which you should perhaps consider.

The Futur is so very worth it. I just purchased mine and finishing two weeks of shaving with it. Prior to that, I was using an ATT H2 Kronos razor, which is the most aggressive razor by ATT. I really enjoy the H2 but wanted something more aggressive. IMO the Futur fit that need, but it is amazingly smoother than the H2. I'm also enjoying trying different combinations, being that it's adjustable. I've tried shaving 1-2-3, 3-4-5, and 4-5-6 and this morning; 5-6. So far, 1-2-3 (WTG, XTG, and ATG) has been the closest, smoothest shave I've had. Very near BBS - a little touch up would have given me BBS. It won't replace my ATT, but it's definitely a keeper. Also, with the ATT H2, I'll need a mild shave mixed in every week or so to give the skin a break. Haven't had to do that with the Futur as their hasn't been a need and the shaves have been consistently as close or closer than the H2.

I have only tried a few razors so far i.e. Gillette SS and Red tip.

To be honest, I think whether or not the Futur is "worth it" is irrelevant at this point in your development. With only six shaves under your belt, you haven't developed enough technique to determine what works well for you. A lot of newbies assume it's the razor that gives the shave, and start chasing rainbows in the form of increased acquisition. (I know this from experience.) While a razor can certainly influence the quality of your shave, the primary factor is your own technique. You may be disappointed to find a new razor offers no real improvement for you. Personally, I wouldn't recommend switching up until you've gotten some more shaves under your belt.

However, if you were to try another razor, my personal recommendation would be for something like a Progress, which has a full range of adjustability, as well as a simple, easily-maneuverable, user-friendly design. That would give you plenty of room for experimentation, but would also provide consistency. That said, for real consistency, a good non-adjustable would force you to master the razor without continually futzing with it. That's why EJ 89 variants are so frequently recommended to new DE shavers. I also recommend it.

Chrispy, welcome! I have a Futur and enjoy it, but would fully agree with suggestions above, for you to take some time.
The Futur is indeed aggressive, as well as heavy. I would also agree with suggestion about the Progress, which (IMO) is Merkur's best overall razor.
You might also consider any of the vintage Gillette adjustables, which generally are reasonably mild and controllable.
Given your sensitive skin, I would also suggest that you first use your SS and experiment for a couple weeks with a range of blades, to narrow down to a few blades that work best for you.
Enjoy the journey!

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
The Futur was the 1st DE I bought and used, Never got another DE to use. Never found it to be too aggressive until I used it at 6+
That being said, you should probably take the above advice.....or you could just jump right in like I did

Great advice from all above. I have been DE shaving for 8 months and 90% of the time i reach for my cheap razo rock classic, my first razor..learn my technique with it loaded with a Astra SS
So hang in there and get that technique down and try out some different blades..

You're the only one who's going to be able to make the decision whether it's worth it or not. For some it is, and for others it's not. As far as the Gillette adjustables go, you should have no problem finding a Slim or black handle adjustable for less than the price of a Futur. Good luck to you.

I love mine, I also have a long handled progress and while I'd recommend them both the Futur blows my particular progress out of the water when it comes to fit and finish. My Futur lines up the blade perfect, both sides of the razor give you the same close shave and feel, this can't be said for my progress and it drives me insane. I really appreciate a razor that you don't have to spend a couple of extra frustrating minutes adjusting the blade gap. Honestly I believe my Futur is about the cheapest of the razors I own that do line up perfect. Maybe I just got a bad Progress. I also do not find the Futur to be overly aggressive but I tend to run what most consider aggressive razors due to course facial hair. Hope this helps.

I purchased one a couple years ago and sent it back. The snap cap that has to be removed to insert the blade was loose, which means the blade was loose and insecure. The vendor sent me a second one which had the same issue so I sent that one back and asked for a refund. To me, a loose blade seems like a bloodbath waiting to happen, so no Futur in my future. I eventually ordered a Muhle R41 and have shaved almost daily with it.

I had a Futur quite a few years ago and it was a good razor. My major complaint in the end was that because of the bulk of the head, it was difficult to shave close under my nose. Merkur's Progress is another one which you should perhaps consider.

+1. I was in the same boat. Also, I didn't like how you changed the blade with the snap on head.

My Futur lines up the blade perfect, both sides of the razor give you the same close shave and feel, this can't be said for my progress and it drives me insane.

Both my Progresses have the same issue; the blade gap is wider on one side than the other, which is particularly noticeable (visually) on milder settings. I suppose that's a reason not to recommend it, although, as much as it bothers me in theory, I can't say I've ever noticed any ill effects from it. I get good shaves from both of them, and have no problem recommending the model. Still, I appreciate the airtight tolerances of my AS-D2. For that matter, the EJ DE89 is pretty spot on, too.

I have had my Futur for over a month now and I absolutely love it. I do have sensitive skin as well so too many passes irritates me beyond belief. I unfortunately have Titanium Whiskers to muck things up even worse on the irritation front. So My experiences are:

1: Is it an aggressive razor? Yes it is, not as aggressive as many make it out to be but it is pretty aggressive.
2: Can you get a one maybe two pass shave from it? Absolutely! I get a Two Pass shave that is DFS to BBS every single time I unleash the beast.
3: The Under The Nose thing..... I have a HUGE! Honker and a thin upper lip and I have absolutely no problems whatsoever getting a super smooth shave under the nose.
4. Last but not least, "Is It Worth It?" Depending on where you buy it, I Say YES it is.
5. Comparison to Vintage Adjustable Razors: I have 4 adjustable razors: The Futur, The 75 Super Adjustable, the Slim and The Fatboy. Out of all of these, the Slim and the Fatboy are my personal favorites due to weight distribution and feel in the hand.

These are my personal opinions and experiences with the Futur and every face is different but this is what I experienced with it. It is a Great Razor in my opinion and it is certainly a very Solid Build. YMMV of course.

Sincerely;
Nate

I will just echo the above comments. At this stage, first find a blade that works decent in your razor, i.e. not destroying your face, then use that same combo for 4-6 weeks straight. If you already have access to multiple razors, just pick the one that seems best so far (SS?). This way you can know that the variations in results are due to your prep and technique and you can improve these more quickly. After this period, with a steadier technique, you can begin to experiment with different blades and ultimately different razors and really tell the difference.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If it interests you, give it a shot, but I agree that you ought to wait and get your technique down before you do. I love my Futur, but it's a huge, heavy razor with relatively gaping blade gaps. There is great potential to mess yourself up. You won't kill or maim yourself, mind you, but it could be an unpleasant experience that happens primarily due to inexperience. Get your shaving legs under you first, so that you can both evaluate and appreciate what the Futur brings to the party.

That bulky head is something to deal with. I can get under my nose just fine, but not as easily as with my razors that have slimmer heads.

Whether it's worth the price is up to you. If you get one and find that you don't care for it, you shouldn't have much trouble unloading it at a small discount, so your risk is fairly low.

Is the Merkur Futur worth it?
Worth is always highly subjective regardless of topic. It's not a matter of the DE (or any item) itself but how that DE suits you. The only way to answer your question is with first hand experience. Given that you're relatively new to DE shaving you probably want some more experience under your belt and to try out some more aggressive DE's to determine whether or not more aggressive suits you.

If you have a red tip then work with it and see if there's a blade that works better for you with it before you start looking for more "solutions".

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Its a good looking razor with a satisfying heft, but I don't like the way it holds the blade. I found myself using it mostly dialed down to 1 or 2.

After a long (decades) exile in the land of cartridge razors, I saw the error of my ways and returned to using a double-edged razor a few years back. I chose a Futur to start back with. I probably could have chosen better, but I survived and it taught me a lot about technique very quickly. It's still in regular rotation and none of my other razors gives me a better shave. I started out on 1 and after four years, I have worked my way up to (drum roll here) 3. I did it in half steps, progressing one half a month until I got to a setting I thought was a bit much, 3, and went back to 2.5, where I stayed for quite awhile. A few months ago, I went back up to 3 (greatly improved technique) and that's where I am now. A three-pass, BBS shave is the norm.

The point? Take it slow, don't rush it and the Futur is very much worth the trouble it may be at first.

Another vote for a progress. Great razor. Futur is good too, but it really is hard to shave under your nose (if u have a Stache shouldn't be an issue) loading blades and adjusting gap can become hazardous.

Top Bottom