What's new

Is the leather on a TM strop replaceable?

I was looking at (okay ogling :lol:) the strops that Tony sells and looking at the handles I had a revelation. It almost looks like they are similar to the handles on a SRD/VB strop in that the handle consists of two pieces of leather which are cut to shape and screwed/riveted together. Are Tony's strops screwed together like the SRD/VB strops? It looks like the fastener on one side is a slotted screw, and the other side is a hex head.

Hot dang!

That gives me hope of getting some horsehide some day and replacing the SRD latigo I have now. It might take some doing, but it might be doable :biggrin:.

Note, I don't dislike the Latigo, I just want to get horsehide some day.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I was looking at (okay ogling :lol:) the strops that Tony sells and looking at the handles I had a revelation. It almost looks like they are similar to the handles on a SRD/VB strop in that the handle consists of two pieces of leather which are cut to shape and screwed/riveted together. Are Tony's strops screwed together like the SRD/VB strops? It looks like the fastener on one side is a slotted screw, and the other side is a hex head.

Actually Savant, the handles and construction of the SRD/VB strops are similar to mine....not the other way around :001_rolle

I have been making this design for several years and created the handle and cap designs myself. Both VB and SRD were dealers for me for a while and they decided to copy my 3" strop designs late last year instead of create their own. While I hold nothing against them and still consider them friends the truth is what it is. On one hand I am flattered that out of all the strop designs out there they chose mine as the standard to follow. Their creative part was in using different leathers and fabrics for some of their strop models but the design and components are identical in size and fit to mine.

I typically have any component available, just e-mail for prices.

Thanks,
Tony

Last edited:
Actually Savant, the handles and construction of the SRD/VB strops are similar to mine....not the other way around :001_rolle

I have been making this design for several years and created the handle and cap designs myself. Both VB and SRD were dealers for me for a while and they decided to copy my 3" strop designs (not with my permission) late last year instead of create their own. While I hold nothing against them and still consider them friends the truth is what it is. Their creative part was in using different leathers and fabrics for some strops but the design and components are identical in size and fit to mine.

Thanks,
Tony

From the man himself!

I will be emailing you as soon as I'm confident I won't nick the finished product and can scrape the funds together :biggrin:.

So from now on let's call them CC strops instead of SRD/VB strops.:biggrin:

I have been making this design for several years and created the handle and cap designs myself. Both VB and SRD were dealers for me for a while and they decided to copy my 3" strop designs late last year instead of create their own. While I hold nothing against them and still consider them friends the truth is what it is. On one hand I am flattered that out of all the strop designs out there they chose mine as the standard to follow. Their creative part was in using different leathers and fabrics for some of their strop models but the design and components are identical in size and fit to mine.

Thanks,
Tony

+1

Blatant copying of someone else's ingenuity is never cool. Copycat strops indeed.

Agreed. This is what I like about B&B. We aren't vendor supported so we can be impartial without worrying about stepping on too many toes. I hadn't realized until recently why the two companies strops looked similar, but now I know. I wouldn't feel comfortable talking about it elsewhere either.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
They did add some different leather/cloth options though unique to them so they did add some creativity. I just wish they had not choosen to use my design.

While many strops had caps/handles I worked out proportions and shapes from day one and each new itteration of my design grew from the one before it. My handle shape, attachment method and overall proportion was unique to me until this. Even the use of the Amish community to manufacture them was interesting as I have used them for years as I have a connection to the Amish/Mennonite/Brethren community personally. I only have them cut handles with my dies and make my wooden paddle blanks, again to my unique design.

Again though, I'm fine with the fellows, very unhappy with the business choice. I do usually try to keep a separation of business and personal issues.
This is no longer a big deal I just wanted to clarify who copied who for those new to this since the reverse was suggested by the original post.

Thanks,
Tony

Tony

Last edited:

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Billy,
Thanks. I have alot of family stuff going on right now so I am temprarily closed.

It is best to contact me via my website and storefront as I don't always see the PMs.

Thanks,
Tony

I recently bought a TM red latigo beginner's strop and couldn't be happier. The quality, fit and finish of the leather is amazing (compared to some premium rifle slings I have also made of premium latigo). I would love to get an Heirloom strop because they look so handsome in the pictures I have seen. Unfortunately, I can't justify the expense. The beginner's stop is working perfectly.

Top Bottom