What's new

Is the Feather AC really more of a DE ?

This article would best be titled: How DE shaving helped a str8-luvr tame the Feather AC.

First, background check ... I remain, in every measure, a newbie. However, due to an already well developed AD lobe somewhere in my pre-frontal cortex, a newbie with a fair amount of toys and therefore the opportunity to experience different aspects of shaving with a newbie-ish and childlike mind.

Second, some history ... I came to wet shaving via the straight razor route. An adolescent crush on metallurgy, a crush that NEVER matured to an appropriate and satisfactory reciprocal love affair; I have yet yield and purchase a historical Rapier from Lion Import but have read all I could on european swordsmanship and smithing, I have yet to procure myself a true nihonto but boy did I read and accumulate "useless" knowledge on japanese metallurgy as well. Somewhere along the way, I finally woke up to the existence of what may be the most "modern" expression of “steel” that presently exists for little more than its own existence, and yet and expression of the metallurgical art forms that can be used for its intended purpose ! In the same way that art exists for art's sake, can we truly say that we as modern men in a modern society (not we as marginal enthusiasts) NEED straight blades ? And the intended purpose ? Well sure we can still purchase incredible examples of swords, but do we spend time learning how to use them and actually APPLY that knowledge on a regular basis ? The straight razor really is one of the rare works of art that exist to please and yet serves in a real fashion ... this may sound contradictory but let the thought sink in, were the straight razor not to exist would someone invent it today ?

Third, why the Feather and how the DEs ? As much as the beginning arose from straights, there was just no turning back to cartridges EVER .... and yet I am still unable to get a good fast shave from my blades, I can get a pleasant shave with fair results but it require 30 minutes of my time to completely indulge in the wonderful rituals of the straight shave. Unable to look back, unwilling to take ANY distance from my new and wonderful collection of soaps, creams, aftershaves, balms, etc ... I begun learning and buying DEs.

This still does not explain the Feather ... in any way. As stated above, WAY above at this point, straight shaving was and remains the initial impetus to all of this acquiring and learning. And as much as I like the DEs for great no-fuss shaves and traveling, the joy of wielding the blade entirely with my own hand seemed to be lacking ... aaaaah ... the Feather makes its grand entrance. And I was traveling as per the photo, in the Bajan sun at Gibb's bay, friend's beach house, perfect time to try out the Feather AC.

And now, the crux of this long winded introduction: Nothing, and I mean NOTHING in the world of straight shaving could have been as preparatory to shaving with a Feather AC as DE shaving was. The butcher jobs from these Feathers that I have read on multiple forums have almost always been in the hands of straight shavers ... the secret ... Feather ACs should NOT be thought of as straight razors, they are DEs (or SEs if you like) in the shape of straights !!! In other words, all the rules that apply to DEs(SEs) apply to Feathers: NO pressure, NO weight, angle ONLY until the blade begins to make contact ... and voila comfortable shave with no cuts or nicks or blood and no trips to the ER to see me ... your feather is your best friend for travel. Sincerely, I can find little in the straight shaver’s repertoire of techniques, other than hand grips, that truly prepare a straight shaver for a Feather in comparison to the DE shavers. Look at every post that DE shavers share with newbie DE shavers, the main stress is ALWAYS “no pressure” and “use the razor’s weight.”

PS: I want to thank Joe at Italian barber, most reasonable prices on the interwebs for Feather ACs in all of their configurations ... and Fendrihan for starting me down the road of many ADs. And as always, thanks to B&B and all of you who have introduced me to wet shaving and all its many pleasures.

View attachment 141872

Interesting post. I empathize with your appreciation of the art and metallurgy behind the straight razor. And I agree with your comment that if the straight razor did not exist until modern times, it would have been invented now. Though I think the form is so simplistic that it was bound to exist as soon as metal could be fashioned by man.

Where I disagree is saying the feather AC is closer to the DE. It may be closer in the sense that both use very sharp blades that require very little pressure to shave, but I think the mechanics and techniques of straight shaving are different enough to make the AC closer to traditional straight shaving. That how one approaches the shave (holding the razor, angles of attack, skin stretching) is more similar to traditional straights. I gotta believe that your initial mastery of traditional straights, followed by getting a feel for the DE blade sharpness, helped make the transition to Feather AC a better experience. As you were able to combine all your knowledge and feel. :thumbup1: Maybe we should just say it is a third way to shave.

I have inflicted cuts to my face with a Feather AC that left behind really nice permanent scars. The Feather AC is in no way, shape, or form a "safety razor". :laugh::laugh:

A incorrect angle, and a super sharp blade will do a pretty nice job of filleting your face open.

Seriously use with caution, the day you get too cocky with one is a day you will permanently remember (for the rest of your life). :blink::blink:

:thumbup:

I think you're right, but based on your experience. Because it's different, the more techniques you've developed, the easier it will be to adapt. So a DE-only user would find it easier to adapt to a feather if they first learned to use a straight and/or SE. You could probably say the same about any other type of razor. You happened to use a straight first, so using the DE gave you added experience with different techniques.

One point...

"NO pressure, NO weight, angle ONLY until the blade begins to make contact"

The first 2 apply to any razor, not just DEs. The last... I don't know where that applies--I don't shave with anything like that all the time, and certainly not the feather. Maybe on the underside of the chin ATG sometimes, and certainly not all the time.

Now you need to try an SE and injector.

After these few replies, I have to admit that my wording is off.

It may be closer in the sense that both use very sharp blades that require very little pressure to shave, but I think the mechanics and techniques of straight shaving are different enough to make the AC closer to traditional straight shaving. ... :thumbup1: Maybe we should just say it is a third way to shave.

What I should probably make as a conclusion is:
Nothing will prepare a straight shaver for the Feather AC like learning to DE, and vice versa.

Maybe it felt closer to DE because the straight shaving techniques were clearer in my mind vs the DE feel which I had little more than 3 weeks of before trying the Feather AC ?!?

The Feather AC is in no way, shape, or form a "safety razor". :laugh::laugh:

Yeah ... going to have to agree. But it FEELS so much more like a safety razor on my skin when properly used ... it doesn't FEEL like a straight.

Now you need to try an SE and injector.

Like I need more ADs :devil:

Thanks for putting up with the long read.

Last edited:
Top Bottom