What's new

Is the end of the DSLR here?

I have a Nikon D7000 and an assortment of lens, a Lumix GX1, with an assortment of lens and a Leica Q which has a 28mm fixed lens. I use each on a routine basis with the Nikon going with me when I don't have to tote it around as much, The Lumix when I travel on an airplane domestically, and the Leica when I travel outside the country (non in 2020). I am using the Leica more and more these days though as it is just so easy to carry around. One lens, one camera. The point is, I am retired and have all this equipment, with assorted lenses, some 20 years old (Nikon), and I don't see a new camera in my future for many years despite improvements across the board in technology.

I really can't grasp why manufacturers don't have an interlock to force the shutter closed while swapping lenses... with the completely electronic control architecture of mirrorless cameras, it would be simple to implement and the additional shutter cycles would be a drop in the bucket compared to the regular duty cycle of the mirrorless format (from open; close, open, close, open).

I guess they're thinking a filthy sensor is better than a damaged shutter? It could easily be a customization setting, with a disclaimer of potential shutter damage if you select "close on lens swap" ...or is it the 5 cent switch that would be required to detect lens presence?

They used to trust us not to geek the shutter while loading film!

I really can't grasp why manufacturers don't have an interlock to force the shutter closed while swapping lenses... with the completely electronic control architecture of mirrorless cameras, it would be simple to implement and the additional shutter cycles would be a drop in the bucket compared to the regular duty cycle of the mirrorless format (from open; close, open, close, open).

I guess they're thinking a filthy sensor is better than a damaged shutter? It could easily be a customization setting, with a disclaimer of potential shutter damage if you select "close on lens swap" ...or is it the 5 cent switch that would be required to detect lens presence?

Until you posted this - for some reason I thought mirrorless cameras all had electronic shutters. I had no idea they had mechanical shutters. Agreed with you otherwise.

Don’t even need a switch to do this. When you start to disconnect the lens, the computer in the camera would detect that and close the shutter.

Don’t even need a switch to do this. When you start to disconnect the lens, the computer in the camera would detect that and close the shutter.

remember that many will be using legacy glass in "dumb" adapters on mirrorless system cameras. A feeler switch to detect bayonet seating could sense these adapters presence in the mount.

Legion

Staff member

There is a camera that closes the shutter when the lens is off. I trying to wrack my memory which model it is. I think it's one of the Canons.

I really, really wanted to buy myself a new full-frame DSLR so I could jump back into photography. I did the math and film is just going to wind up more expensive than I want to deal with (chemicals, processing, etc.) plus I'd still need to get a new film scanner. I wound up buying a Canon EOS M50 APS-C mirrorless system because I just couldn't justify the money needed to go full-frame. 24 MP is plenty for me to make a decently sized print should the mood strike me and there are enough lenses in the focal lengths I like to make it a viable system for me.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Probably about 12 or so years ago I went dslr and got a Nikon d80 (I think) nothing fabulous but my entry into dslr with interchange lenses. I used it very infrequently and one day the shutter just exploded. It couldn’t be repaired. No parts. Mpb didn’t even want it for junk parts. I threw it away. Holding a grudge and interested in full frame mirror less I recently switched to canon R. I’m a basic dabbler my issue is that Lightroom doesn’t have color presets for “new” cameras yet.

One of the reasons I'm a Sony fan is that the color rendition (both RAW and JPG) of my a700 and a900(s) have been true to scene enough that they require no correction.

I try to stay away from PP if at all possible, since I often shoot with the intent of utilizing the "character" (read: visually pleasing aberation) of vintage glass, including color, contrast and micro-contrast, which are all challenging to manipulate without breaking the delicate balance that defines that original optical character.

Most of the current near-perfect wonder lenses leave me cold with their clinical rendering.

Top Bottom