What's new

Is the blade sitting right in this 1970 Super Adjustable?

I just got this razor in the mail. It seems like the blade might be sitting wrong? All my other razors (tech, superspeed, merkur HD) has a curve to the blade and fits in the spacing evenly. But with the Super adjustable I just got theres no curve to the blade and it seems to extend further than the top of the razor, which makes for a pretty aggressive shave. Im not sure if its supposed to sit this way or not. I took pictures of it opened to both 9 and 1, the 9 is easier to see what im talking about but the 1 is the same way. I didn't think Super Adjustables were supposed to be overly aggressive so im thinking maybe the blade isn't sitting correctly? If anybody knows if theres something wrong I would appreciate it. And No I havnt tried it yet, I want to make sure I won't hack up my face trying to use this. Thanks in advance guys

$IMG_0027.jpg$IMG_0028.jpg not sure why photos didn't load in original but here they are

anyway to fix this myself or should I return it? Literally just came in the mail today. Bought it under the title "excellent condition, ready to use"

OK so after its closed tight, I gave it a good crank and got it to move a bit more and it clicked into place and now it looks and feels right. It's not as smooth as it probably should be and I had to force it a bit more than I wanted to but maybe after a soak in some detergent it will loosen up.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It is quite common for a vintage razor to be a bit stiff or crudded up for that 1/4 turn. Just as you suspect, I expect that some soaking will do wonders.

Thanks for all the help. Just got the best shave to date with it after a little muscle on tat last 1/4 turn. soaking it now but I've been missing out not using these adjustables. It worked great.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
If you are soaking it in anything but mild soapy water, do not let it sit for very long as it will oxidize the black plastic.

That got me in my first vintage adjustable too. That last 1/4 turn to put tension on the spring that's part of the mechanism. Wow that would have been an interesting shave...

+1 on the soak, and if it's still a bit stiff give it a couple drops of sewing machine oil in all the hinges and some down each end of the handle. Let the oil sit for a minute, work the TTO a few times and then rinse it in hot water.

I did almost the same thing yesterday :blushing:... doesn't have to be in full contact with the doors, but it is supposed to be right up there. The Slim TTO actually twists to a hard stop. All the adjustment seems to be on the "smaller" gap side.

+1 on the soak, and if it's still a bit stiff give it a couple drops of sewing machine oil in all the hinges and some down each end of the handle. Let the oil sit for a minute, work the TTO a few times and then rinse it in hot water.

Yep...though I use mineral oil. Works like a charm!

Top Bottom