What's new

Is the 'Bird the "performance pinnacle"?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Haven't tried going super steep with the Slim. I do prefer a neutral to steeper angle vs shallow with all my razors. I guess I've gotten the Slim angle down, because that sucker is smooth...even the OC which I'm typically not a fan of.

I've had a Wunderbar and sold it. It was a bit too much for daily shaving. I keep trying new razors just to find out the razors I already have shave better.....hoping to curb the razor acquisition this coming year as I've joined the 2023 purchase sabbatical...fingers crossed.

For me the Blackbird, Yates H, Ti Slim OC, Overlander, 48 Aristocrat, Vector, and X1 razors sit at the top of my razor heap. The Rocca R94, Henson Ti22 ++, EJ 3one6, Tatara Masamune/Nodachi all get some love every now and again as well. I feel like I've hit my pinnacle of great razors (without getting into the super luxury brands) and should just stop buying them.

Thanks for the Slim info and happy holidays to you as well.
I didn't join a GRUME thread but I've suspended my razor purchases for a while. I now have a top 5 that I love since I added the Green Cult 2.0 Level 2, with a few more in the queue to try.

In no particular order:

Blutt BR-1 1.20
Rocnel Elite
Lambda Athena
ATT X1 AC Slant
Green Cult 2.0 Level 2

I didn't join a GRUME thread but I've suspended my razor purchases for a while. I now have a top 5 that I love since I added the Green Cult 2.0 Level 2, with a few more in the queue to try.

In no particular order:

Blutt BR-1 1.20
Rocnel Elite
Lambda Athena
ATT X1 AC Slant
Green Cult 2.0 Level 2
Nice collection. How do you like the Greencult 2.0? I had the original but found it too aggressive for daily shaving. How’s the level 2 compare to your other razors?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I really like the GC 2.0 and the Level 2 base plate. I would say, it's similar to the Blutt BR-1 1.20 and the Rocnel Elite. Those three shave in a similar manner, for me, at least. The Green Cult 2.0 might be a hair more efficient, but it doesn't lose it's smoothness and comfort level.

My other top 2 are the Athena and ATT X1 AC Slant have very different feels but I love shaving with them both.

had a really nice shave this am with the 'Bird, after a few weeks of using other razors.
it still rules the roost.
closest shave of anything else in my collection. never any nics/weepers.
and today was what I call a "modified 2-pass" shave - meaning on the 2nd ATG pass I "cheat" a little and do straight up strokes first with some diagonal up strokes/buffing afterward. Saves me from having to do a full-on 3rd XTG pass...
(my other razors do not quite have this level of efficiency)

Other razors I use:
Wolf WR2 1.15 <<< nice shaves, nearing 'Bird closeness, but will give weepers if not attentive about angle/pressure
Blutt BR-1 1.20 <<< A really great "mindless" shaver. Never bites or gives weepers. Not quite as close as the 'Bird.
Lambda Athena <<< Wonderful shaver. Will give a minor weeper with Kai blade, if not careful. Nearing 'Bird closeness.
Yates H <<< Ive been using the OC plate, and like this better than any other OC Ive tried (Timeless, Blackbird, Fatip)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
i have very similar results with the razors we have in common... and that is the reason I don't own a Blackbird. I think it's just more than I need. The Blutt BR-1 1.2 and the Athena are both efficient enough for this old face.. and I think the Wolman WR-2 .95 will fit into that category as well.

I will say, the Blackbird "lite" has some appeal. I can see that working perfectly for my needs somewhere down the line.

and that is the reason I don't own a Blackbird. I think it's just more than I need.
to add fuel to the fire: the Blackbird is really a lot like the Athena with regard to the shaving experience. both are low-gap design. (BB just has more exposure, and blade bending/clamping are a bit different). Both are supremely "comfortable".
Lots of Members here cite the BB as having lots of "Blade Feel' - I don't agree with this. If its there, its pretty mild. Definitely NOT the "scraping" feel you typically get with other, more high-gap razors. (* BUT... you need to use it at the manufacturer's intended angle, or all bets are off. The bevel on the cap elicits this.)
I think the BB is a unique-enough design that it is worthwhile trying, and certainly not to be discounted.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
to add fuel to the fire: the Blackbird is really a lot like the Athena with regard to the shaving experience. both are low-gap design. (BB just has more exposure, and blade bending/clamping are a bit different). Both are supremely "comfortable".
Lots of Members here cite the BB as having lots of "Blade Feel' - I don't agree with this. If its there, its pretty mild. Definitely NOT the "scraping" feel you typically get with other, more high-gap razors. (* BUT... you need to use it at the manufacturer's intended angle, or all bets are off. The bevel on the cap elicits this.)
I think the BB is a unique-enough design that it is worthwhile trying, and certainly not to be discounted.
I'm sure the Blackbird deserves its Stirling reputation here. I've based my razor purchases based on razors I have in common with other people. The Athena is certainly one such example. I haven't heard people say they have a similar face feel until you mentioned it. I have read lots of people who find the razors I like a bit too mild for them. I tend to shy away from the razors they enjoy because I don't believe my face needs that level of efficiency. I think I'm set for razors at this point. I try to never say "never", but I've been getting 12 hour shaves from 6 razors I have now and am on two wait lists... though I will be invoiced for a Wolfman tomorrow. I'm looking forward to owning one.

I'm sure the Blackbird deserves its Stirling reputation here. I've based my razor purchases based on razors I have in common with other people. The Athena is certainly one such example. I haven't heard people say they have a similar face feel until you mentioned it. I have read lots of people who find the razors I like a bit too mild for them. I tend to shy away from the razors they enjoy because I don't believe my face needs that level of efficiency. I think I'm set for razors at this point. I try to never say "never", but I've been getting 12 hour shaves from 6 razors I have now and am on two wait lists... though I will be invoiced for a Wolfman tomorrow. I'm looking forward to owning one.
I’ve been seeing you in the Wolfman threads before I started getting an interest in them, I assumed you already owned several.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’ve been seeing you in the Wolfman threads before I started getting an interest in them, I assumed you already owned several.
This will be my first one. I was too new and too inexperienced to feel comfortable buying a Wolfman with all the available options. @Mr. Shavington and I have been discussing gaps, handles etc. I'm opting to order the standard WR2 .95 in Basic Polish Bronze along with two handles and stands. I chose that gap because I don't believe I'll need a more efficient gap than that. I won't know until I've actually shaved with it when it arrives in a month or so, of course.

He has that exact razor and we have several razors in common, so I believe I've reduced the risk as best I can. 4 of my top 7 razors were recommended by him and have been stellar. We first met when he was considering buying an ESC Claymore Evolution that was my starting razor. We based all our further discussions using the Claymore Evo as a baseline. All my subsequent razors have been half a step or so up in efficiency. I think they all fit into that "mild but efficient" category.

Edit: I am counting the Wolfman in that top 7 list. It's a bit premature but I'm hopeful. ;)

I have several razors i might like more than the BB Ti and Ti Lite. Really if the handle was longer on the bird, it might up there.

For now, I’ll hold my Diamondback 2020 as the best that I’ve found. Nothing is smoother and that efficient that I’ve owned. However, if I come across a RS10 Ti for 3K or less, I will pick one up. I’m that curious.

Top Bottom