What's new

Is the 'Bird the "performance pinnacle"?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have so many razors and I never compared them back to back. They are both nice but different. The BB to me has more audible feedback, and is heavier which is what I prefer, and not sure I’ll like the lightweight of Ti. I have 5 and 5-OC on the ERA and I think the BB is still more efficient and percievably more aggressive. I think the Black Bird is in another league to me at least. To be honest the Dart was such a nice razor but got discontinued but will be offered again in limited quantities. I also prefer the Dart to the ERA. Having said all that I still bought another ERA 4-OC and a spare 4sb plate. Sorry I can’t be more helpful.
That was actually very helpful. Thank you. I had a suspicion the Black bird was more "efficient" or "aggressive". At this point in my shaving journey, I seem to prefer the "mild but efficient" razors.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
A question since I have an Era on the way: how does it compare to the Black Birds you have and with what base plates? I ordered the 4SB, 4OC and the 5OC... the 5SB was sold out at the time I made my purchase.
I am on my third Blackbird, and have the ERA with the 5 highest baseplates. The ERA tends to be smoother but not as efficient, even on the highest plates. The Blackbird has never been a super smooth razor for me. But it is quite efficient. I like them both.

I dig the ERA with the 4 OC, 5 SB, and 5 OC plates. I have been using the ERA as a travel razor, rotating it with my Pearl Flexi, and the Lupo 95. I travel a lot. Last trip was a long one. So I did a bit of a shave off between the Lupo 95 and the ERA. The jury is still out. They are quite comparable. Especially the Level 5 SB and the Lupo 95 SB.

I don’t think the ERA reaches the level of sophistication and quality of a blackbird. The BB just feels letter in the hand, and provides more of a higher end shave feel. I don’t think the ERA is as efficient either. But it doesn’t need to be. They are both really good razors. In true B&B fashion, we all need both.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I am on my third Blackbird, and have the ERA with the 5 highest baseplates. The ERA tends to be smoother but not as efficient, even on the highest plates. The Blackbird has never been a super smooth razor for me. But it is quite efficient. I like them both.

I dig the ERA with the 4 OC, 5 SB, and 5 OC plates. I have been using the ERA as a travel razor, rotating it with my Pearl Flexi, and the Lupo 95. I travel a lot. Last trip was a long one. So I did a bit of a shave off between the Lupo 95 and the ERA. The jury is still out. They are quite comparable. Especially the Level 5 SB and the Lupo 95 SB.

I don’t think the ERA reaches the level of sophistication and quality of a blackbird. The BB just feels letter in the hand, and provides more of a higher end shave feel. I don’t think the ERA is as efficient either. But it doesn’t need to be. They are both really good razors. In true B&B fashion, we all need both.
Brad, I wasn't able to pick up a Era 5SB.. but I got the full 4s and a 5OC... with the Lupo, I only have the 72SB and 95OC at this point... but when the 72OC is released, I plan to buy it along with a 95SB... I'll have a sort of complete set of base plates.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Brad, I wasn't able to pick up a Era 5SB.. but I got the full 4s and a 5OC... with the Lupo, I only have the 72SB and 95OC at this point... but when the 72OC is released, I plan to buy it along with a 95SB... I'll have a sort of complete set of base plates.
So to make you feel a bit better about things, the Level 5 OC is the better of the level 5 plates. It is smoother than the 5 SB ironically, and more efficient. A win-win. The 5 SB is basically on par with the Lupo 95, which was my point. Hence, the 5 OC beats the Lupo 95. However the Lupo has its own merits. It is a superior construction, it looks way better than the ERA, it’s real cnc milled stainless which will last forever, and it feels better in the hand, and on the face during the shave. But the ERA 5 OC has better results… smoother and closer, but only marginally so.

The only dud out of my five plates is the 3 OC. I feel that the teeth are a bit too long, which prevents me from getting to the optimal steep angle. This issue does not occur on the 4 or 5 OC. I would be willing to trade my level 3 OC for a level 3 SB if someone were so inclined. If you are not a sasa steep aficionado, there would be no issue with the level 3 OC for you.

The sealer of the deal for me with the ERA is the ingenious innovation as a 3D printed razor. I utilize 3D printing for my work and recreation. I was a 3D printing early adopter. So to take part in the ERA project means a lot more to me than just great shaves.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
So to make you feel a bit better about things, the Level 5 OC is the better of the level 5 plates. It is smoother than the 5 SB ironically, and more efficient. A win-win. The 5 SB is basically on par with the Lupo 95, which was my point. Hence, the 5 OC beats the Lupo 95. However the Lupo has its own merits. It is a superior construction, it looks way better than the ERA, it’s real cnc milled stainless which will last forever, and it feels better in the hand, and on the face during the shave. But the ERA 5 OC has better results… smoother and closer, but only marginally so.

The only dud out of my five plates is the 3 OC. I feel that the teeth are a bit too long, which prevents me from getting to the optimal steep angle. This issue does not occur on the 4 or 5 OC. I would be willing to trade my level 3 OC for a level 3 SB if someone were so inclined. If you are not a sasa steep aficionado, there would be no issue with the level 3 OC for you.

The sealer of the deal for me with the ERA is the ingenious innovation as a 3D printed razor. I utilize 3D printing for my work and recreation. I was a 3D printing early adopter. So to take part in the ERA project means a lot more to me than just great shaves.
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me/us, Brad. I think my Era gets here Thursday or so. I didn't check the tracking today.

Reading these comments makes me glad I picked up the Era today with 4OC and 5OC plates. I’ve actually never used an open comb before. The smooth teeth and tiny blade gap make it approachable. Couldn’t resist the deal. Looking forward to experience my first Blackland razor after a long time admiring them. Anyone have tips or advise for shaving with the OC Era?

I have similar experience with the OP. Coming from the Blutt 0.99 then 1.20, I thought nothing would satisfy me more than the Blutt 1.2 in terms of closeness & irritation-free shave. Then I received my Ti Bird today. It totally changed my POV on the degree of smoothness an efficient razor can achieve. No wonder the Black Bird gets the reputation it has and is being used as a reference/gold-standard for a lot of razor comparisons. I think my razor journey has ended short since I have found my dream razor early in the start (tried Rocca, Blutt 0.99 & 1.20, Ti Vector, and now Ti Bird). I wish I had saved the money and went straight to the Ti Bird at the start. I can’t see this bird is flying away from me any time soon.

Would love to hear your observations, having used the Ti and SS back to back.
Everyone is different. As I said in an earlier post, the Blackbird is my Goldilocks razor. First the SS and now mostly the Titanium. The SS is now my travel razor and the Titanium my everyday razor (daily shaver).

The greatest difference to me is the nimbleness of the Ti. After the Ti, the SS feels a little heavy and sluggish through the first pass but quickly becomes comfortable and the great razor it is. After the SS, the Ti feels light and nimble, it almost wants to fly around my face.

Many talk about the softer feel of the Ti compared to the SS. For me the Timeless Ti has a softer face feel, the Ti Blackbird, not so much. My uneducated take is that with more blade feel, I’m feeling the blade more and the razor less.

In summary, the SS is a great efficient razor that could have been my last razor and the Ti adds nimbleness and is even better.

Would love to hear your observations, having used the Ti and SS back to back.
sm29 pretty much covered it. I am only 3 shaves in with my ss, but so far it's taken some adjustment to get used to the additional weight. It only took me 1 slightly rough shave to adjust, but the stories from people starting on the ss finding it too aggressive make sense now. The other 2 shaves have been some of the best shaves I have ever had, but I prefer the lighter weight of the ti. The reality is that the results can be identical, it just depends on the user. Part of what has been such a joy with my new ss is the lightly polished finish, apparently done after purchase, glides on my face better than the matte finish on my ti. I do wish that I was able to get one of the polished tis when they were available, but prefer the raw look of matte ti.

Now that I have a stainless steel Blackbird I can comment on it. I've used it about 9 times and it's very good indeed. I would say it's very close to R41 efficiency, and at its "preferred" angle that efficiency may be more accessible with a bit less "blade feel". To me they are both really good and efficient but different.

First, the Blackbird is a great and special razor, that's for sure.

As it turns out, I gave the bird away.
ss machine finish polished finish, brass polished finish (all SB)
All of them were great razors, but they were not as efficient or smooth as I wanted them to be.

For example, the Timeless SS, 0.95oc, was less efficient than the Blackbird, but effective where the bird could not mow.

stando chors and wunderbar were more efficient and equally smooth than birds, but one area under the chin, my weak point, was well chewed.

The stando silesia was slightly less efficient than the bird, but much smoother.

The Blackbird for me is an honors razor but something is missing (some say there is a variation in quality).
But for a first time high end razor it is a great choice:)
It couldn't beat my beloved AC style safety razor, and it doesn't come close to the quality of the WR2 I recently received, but it's good stuff......

I've been considering getting a Blackbird - but for all of you that love your 'birds, do you shave with them daily? I'm a daily shaver and looking to use the 'Bird daily - is it too much for that?

Top Bottom