What's new

Is the 'Bird the "performance pinnacle"?

Let's be clear for people who have yet to learn, there is no "pinnacle" of performance for everyone. One person's "pinnacle" is another person's garbage when it comes to razors, blades, brushes, soaps, creams, aftershaves, fragrances, and on and on. There is no best anything in any field. No best car, no best boat, no best computer, no best aircraft, no best house, no best anything.
For the most part I agree with you that there is no best of anything - except that I have the best wife, children and grandchildren.

First shave with the Timeless .95 OC SS today, and the results are… not great. :-(

Got a nice, close shave from this razor, but at the expense of several weepers and a quite irritated neck post-shave. (its been a good long while since Ive given myself weepers like this)

This is only the first use, so I wont draw any definite conclusions until after a few more tries, but intital impressions are not great.

Positives? Fit and finish are top-notch, and the open comb design is very comfortable (best open-comb comfort Ive tried, to date. Slightly better than the FOCS, and lots better than Karve/Blackbird) Blade feel is there, but not too noticible, really.

I didnt maintain a steep angle, and that may be the root-cause of my woes? Used a fresh Nacet blade, which is my normal go-to.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
It's good that you didn't start out with the Slim or Bronze OC then, on a positive note. :)
I usually take a Gillette Super Platinum or Voshkod to tame razors that are causing irritation.
Feel free to play with the angle, no need to go super steep if you already got irritation. Rather the opposite direction then.

@BanjoCowboyMartaTobes might be able to give some pointers. I usually rather want to dial it up from the .95 OC, I don't have much experience in dampening/taming it therefore, unfortunately.

It's good that you didn't start out with the Slim or Bronze OC then, on a positive note. :)
I usually take a Gillette Super Platinum or Voshkod to tame razors that are causing irritation.
Feel free to play with the angle, no need to go super steep if you already got irritation. Rather the opposite direction then.

@BanjoCowboyMartaTobes might be able to give some pointers. I usually rather want to dial it up from the .95 OC, I don't have much experience in dampening/taming it therefore, unfortunately.
Iridian is correct about you not starting with the Slim or bronze OC…..Very nice razors indeed, but nothing you want to sling it around with in a hurry. Very efficient razors for sure. I can’t speak for the .95 Open SS, but my titanium version is not only smooth and efficient, but it provides a very comfortable shave, (at least for my mug). I give my face a good preshave wash of olive oil bar soap or Executive Shaving’s Pre- shave oil, a nice lather application, and then use a Nacet, Bic chrome platinum, Perma-Sharp, or a PolSilver. Good luck, but I would try some other blades before giving up on the SS.

The Ti Blackbird is my "Pinnacle" razor for sure and the only thing that would make it even better would be a DC plate. The Ti Blackbird replaced a DC Ti Timeless that I used for almost 4yrs exclusively and the Silver Star was the smoothest blade that I used in it whereas it would seem that a Feather or Perma-Sharp as what works best in the Ti Blackbird so far... I just realized the Ti Blackbird has been my sole razor for over a year now!! My how time flies when your having great shaves and are enjoying them!!

whelp… the Timeless .95 OC is going back.

I gave it 6 consecutive every-other-day shaves, and it just doesnt measure-up, performance-wise, for me. (especially considering the price-point) It is, however, a *gorgeous* piece…

at first, I “weepered” myself badly - too much pressure. Then, with a very light touch, the shave was a lot more comfortable, but not nearly as close as my other shavers.

the clincher for me, is that I used my Blutt BR-1 1.25 yesterday, and was immediately struck by how much more comfortable AND close my shave was - without having to concentrate on technique.

you win some, you lose some. YMMV, and all that…

next try is a Stando Chors SS inbound from Poland this coming week…(I hope)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Would like to try a Lambda Athena and Charcoal Goods (gen 01 or 02) Level 2, someday.
And then there are the Wolfman WR1 and WR2 lurking in the shadows, scheming for the contents of my wallet. lol
(if I spent $400+ for a Wolfie, and it *didn't* beat my 'Birds - I think I'd be a little pissed, honestly... looking like jewlery doesnt compensate for middling performance, in my book)
I know I am late to this conversation, but you hit the nail on the head in your original post. I have had two Blackbirds. One stainless and one brass. I have had the SB and OC in both metals. I do not like Titanium nor lighter razors, so I have not tried the TiBird yet.

The Blackbirds are fantastic razors. But I have quite a few razors I like better.

The Charcoal Goods Level 2 from Gen 1 and 2 are better shavers in my opinion. As are the Wolfman WR1 and WR2. I also highly prefer the Blackland Tradere OC to the Blackbirds. They are all smoother and a tad more efficient for me than the Bird. And I just plain ole like shaving with them better. The Blackbird is a great razor, and it shaves me well. But it has a somewhat blocky utilitarian design to it. I prefer the more artistic razors like CG and the Wolf. And I enjoy the Art Deco look of the Tradere very much.

Regarding the comment about getting pissed if you spend $400+ on a Wolfman and it didnt beat your birds.... this is highly subjective. And if you dont have the budget for one or more $400+ Wolfs, then maybe its not the right move for you. It took me a couple of tries to be happy with the WR2 gap. Its a big investment for a razor, and not everyone has the stomach to get a bunch of Wolfs in a game of trial and error. Which is okay.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I would have needed a weeping smiley, the available one is more laughing.

Ah well, you tried. At least you didn't burn yourself with the Bronze .78, which makes the .95 look very tame. 😀

Better luck with the Standos and other acquisitions.

While I have my favorites, the journey never ends. My money usually goes dry in between if one also collects knives, flashlights and now also trailrunning shoes. 🤪

I am particularly looking forward to read thoughts about possible similarities between Blutt and Stando Chors design.

I know I am late to this conversation, but you hit the nail on the head in your original post. I have had two Blackbirds. One stainless and one brass. I have had the SB and OC in both metals. I do not like Titanium nor lighter razors, so I have not tried the TiBird yet.

The Blackbirds are fantastic razors. But I have quite a few razors I like better.

The Charcoal Goods Level 2 from Gen 1 and 2 are better shavers in my opinion. As are the Wolfman WR1 and WR2. I also highly prefer the Blackland Tradere OC to the Blackbirds. They are all smoother and a tad more efficient for me than the Bird. And I just plain ole like shaving with them better. The Blackbird is a great razor, and it shaves me well. But it has a somewhat blocky utilitarian design to it. I prefer the more artistic razors like CG and the Wolf. And I enjoy the Art Deco look of the Tradere very much.

Regarding the comment about getting pissed if you spend $400+ on a Wolfman and it didnt beat your birds.... this is highly subjective. And if you dont have the budget for one or more $400+ Wolfs, then maybe its not the right move for you. It took me a couple of tries to be happy with the WR2 gap. Its a big investment for a razor, and not everyone has the stomach to get a bunch of Wolfs in a game of trial and error. Which is okay.
And the Wolfman razors do hold their value, which mitigates much of the risk.

I would have needed a weeping smiley, the available one is more laughing.

Ah well, you tried. At least you didn't burn yourself with the Bronze .78, which makes the .95 look very tame. 😀

Better luck with the Standos and other acquisitions.

While I have my favorites, the journey never ends. My money usually goes dry in between if one also collects knives, flashlights and now also trailrunning shoes. 🤪

I am particularly looking forward to read thoughts about possible similarities between Blutt and Stando Chors design.
I can shave with 14 razors at a time yet can only wear 2 shoes. Bizarre collectible buddy🤣😂🤣😂.
Now vintage cardboard, there is a great money suck😇.

I’m not sure that’s still the case any more than other brands. New Wolfman prices have increased a lot and secondary market sales don’t seem as easy or quick as they used to be. At least that’s my impression recently.
Hmmm. You could be right. I know the prices rose but it’s been a while since I checked.

I’m probably opening a can of worms but can any one say from experience how the Ti Carbon (original, + or ++ plates) compares with either one of the Ti Timeless options, the Ti Blackbird or one of Ti Wolfman WR2 gaps?

Does anyone have a razor that they like *better* than the Blackbird?
(speaking strictly performance. fit/finish, ergonomics, etc aside...)
Yes. I have a Blackbird SS SB and I like practically every razor I have more than that one based on performance. These include, but are not limited to, my H&S Z074, H&S Ti Efficient, Timeless Ti .68 and .95, Paradigm Ti II and 2020 Diamondback, Charcoal Goods Gen 3 Everyday and Level 2, Feather AS-D2, Yates 921-M, Karve CB, Rockwell 6S, etc.

Having said that, the Blackbird is a good looking razor and the customer service of the company that makes it is excellent. I like my Vector. I just don't get along with my Blackbird.

G

Guest2023

I’m probably opening a can of worms but can any one say from experience how the Ti Carbon (original, + or ++ plates) compares with either one of the Ti Timeless options, the Ti Blackbird or one of Ti Wolfman WR2 gaps?

All of them are SS version except Timeless. So my experience might not be helpful.

Smoothness

WR2 1.15 = Timeless .95 > Carbon original >= BB

Efficiency

BB > Carbon original > =WR2 1.15 > =Timeless .95

Top Bottom