What's new

Is the 'Bird the "performance pinnacle"?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The Slim sounds like a better for for me overall,
but that bronze razor is soooooooo pretty.
I've always admired timeless handles and grooved caps....
For Timeless I would always go with the OC, they are more efficient and there is no real downside, they are nicely rounded. The Bronze .78 OC has a different comb though, it's not identical to the .95 or Slim OC design, but also a very nice, soft OC.

But the .78 OC isn't soft. The amount of blade scares probably a lot of shavers away.

My journey started with a .95 SC, the scalloped bar. Smooth, but not overly efficient.

I jumped to the Slim OC next: I only needed the Slim OC plate for that.
The cap is identical/interchangeable.
I also ordered another handle, the Pineapple isn't my favorite. Ti Crown is often recommended, if you want some heft, the Barberpole 85 or 100mm maybe.

The .95 OC Timeless might be the most agreeable plate, it's a smooth and efficient razor.
The Bronze .78 OC and the Timeless Slim look similar, but are more like the evil twins/triplet that just look roughly the same.

Please notice that some handle options are stainless steel or titanium only. They are still interchangeable, if you don't mind mixing materials.

The bronze stand 14mm weighs within 1-2g the same as the stainless steel stand. Their bronze alloy interestingly almost has the same weight as stainless steel. It's bronze, not brass which is usually noticeably heavier.

Note that while the Bronze razor is the economical way to start out with Timeless, it doesn't shave like the Slim or .95 OC at all.

I would go with a stainless or titanium.95 OC first and buy a slim oc plate for it. And by all means, get a scalloped cap. 🤗

Thanks - this is helpful.

I was all set to try the Athena next,
but might pivot and try a Timeless, instead.

Question: Do the Bronze/Slim take a big hit in efficiency if *not* OC?

The Slim sounds like a better for for me overall,
but that bronze razor is soooooooo pretty.
I've always admired timeless handles and grooved caps....
Frankly, I LOOOOVE the Athena, it is a pretty amazing razor. The advertised gap/exposure does absolutely no justice to the efficiency of the razor. It is smoother and as efficient as a blackbird (in my books). Only downside to it is that the lack of exposure means that the longevity of the shave is not as pronounced as a blackbird's. I highly recommend trying this razor. Plus the finishing is the best I have ever seen for any razor out there...

But, to your question, Bronze SB is extremely mild, and AFAIK not very efficient. The Bronze OC is on the other hand is extremely aggressive and efficient. Only the Stirling razors demand more care and attention than this one. But if you treat it well, and with plenty of respect, it is an electrifying shave.

As far as the SLIM is concerned, the SB does takes a hit, but not by much, compared to the OC. I find the OC to be probably one of the most efficient razors around (@Iridian can back me up on this). I bought my SLIM with a brass grooved cap and it pairs really well with most of the timeless handles.

And yes, being a cheapskate, I bought almost all of them via the scratch and dent, and the biggest cosmetic flaw I ever found was a dark patina patch on the cap of my bronze OC. It was about the size of a grain of salt.

I'd love to try the Athena but I've just never seen one in stock, it's either I'm looking in the wrong place or it's practically unobtanium atm.

The .95 OC Timeless might be the most agreeable plate, it's a smooth and efficient razor.
The Bronze .78 OC and the Timeless Slim look similar, but are more like the evil twins/triplet that just look roughly the same.
I think you have me convinced.
The return-policy makes this an easy maker to explore...

Question: material? is Ti "better" than SS in this razor? any why...
(for an open-comb razor, I just might prefer heavier vs lighter...)

Also: anyone have a side-by-side pic of "matte" and "polished" finishes? The Timeless website does not highlight this comparison very well. example: Is the Matte like bead-blasted matte? or more of a "brushed" look?

Thanks!

Iridian

Cool and slimy

Also: anyone have a side-by-side pic of "matte" and "polished" finishes? The Timeless website does not highlight this comparison very well. example: Is the Matte like bead-blasted matte? or more of a "brushed" look?
I think @Butch Waxx or @HabanaRon might be able to show you a comparison shot of both finishes. I only have the polished versions.

Regarding Ti vs SS, hmm... I can only speak about my steel versions and my lone Ti Crown handle.

I in general prefer more weight and put the 100mm SS Barberpole on my Slim OC. I also believe for a steep shave more weight in the handle is beneficial. The Ti Crown handle was a better fit for my Lupo. I have a 85mm Barberpole handle as well, which is already quite heavy. The 100mm somehow fits my hand better... the polished version can become slightly slippery, so having it fit well in the hand, with a finger below the butt, is recommended. No idea if the matte can do this better. :blush:

If you want to avoid any grip issues, the Ti Crown handle rocks. But both for the Slim OC and the .95 OC, again I would rather put some weight in the handle.

Hope one or both plates work out! :thumbup1:

I have a 85mm Barberpole handle as well, which is already quite heavy.:thumbup1:

I'm generally not a fan of long handles. (90mm seems *perfect* to me, but 85mm is ok, too)

Curiously, the BYOR for the .95 OC does not include an 85mm Barberpole handle in the drop-down list;
but does show it in the image gallery for handles included on the page.

Do I just need to contact them to get the 85mm?

the Ti Crown handle rocks

Agree. Cool design - both in looks and probably function, too.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Do I just need to contact them to get the 85mm?
It reads "out of stock", the same happened to the Ti Spiral handle a bit earlier.
Timing might be unfortunate, you could ask them if a new batch is incoming anytime soon.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I can’t say enough good things about the Ti Crown handle. For a stock handle, it’s amazing. To me, it really looks like an artisan made it. It transformed my Claymore Evolution as I’ve posted many times. Made it much more balanced instead of handle heavy. I know the heavier OEM handle helps the razor’s hmmmmm maybe authority, if you will, but the lighter Ti Crown turns into a sports car for me. Not long ago, the blade I was using died mid-shave and I had a another Claymore Evo sitting on the vanity top with the OEM handle. Just for fun, I tried it out but after a couple of stokes, I switched it out.

I’m not completely nuts. The extra razor was waiting for a Wolfman Darwin handle but I back burner’d it and bought a couple of vintage British Gillettes instead.

took the plunge...

SS .95 OC with 85mm Barber Pole handle, polished finish is now on-order.

Was a tough choice between Ti and SS.
(That Ti 90mm Crown handle is pretty awesome!)
But I think I will like the "heft" of the SS for this razor design better.

It's nice that the Timeless price differential for Ti vs SS is not as wide as other makers....

took the plunge...

SS .95 OC with 85mm Barber Pole handle, polished finish is now on-order.

Was a tough choice between Ti and SS.
(That Ti 90mm Crown handle is pretty awesome!)
But I think I will like the "heft" of the SS for this razor design better.

It's nice that the Timeless price differential for Ti vs SS is not as wide as other makers....
You will not be disappointed in the .95 OC. I have both the SS and Ti in .95 OC. What I like so much is how different each shaves. I couldn’t say which I like more, because they are different enough but so smooth and efficient.
If you want to walk on the wild side order the Bronze .78 OC plate. I just received one in a trade with Noslen and it really requires my full attention. I have only had 3 shaves so far and it is more aggressive than my R41 and I’m pulling out my Sterling HA next to see which is the aggressive winner.

I haven’t found a razor yet to beat the Bird. The Yates H comes close to its equal for me, but not better. I’m finally at a point where I’m thinking I’ve found my top 2 razors that may not ever be dethroned.

The only other razor that comes close is the ATT SE1 but it’s not a DE. Great razor in its own right.

That is what is so interesting about wet shaving. What works so well for one person isn't the best for someone else. Add to that, there are many different stages or phases to pass through. I'm near the beginning of my own journey. I sure am enjoying the scenery. ;)
Yes indeed. Well said Sir, and I hope you're enjoying your sojourn in Bali.

You will not be disappointed in the .95 OC. I have both the SS and Ti in .95 OC. What I like so much is how different each shaves. I couldn’t say which I like more, because they are different enough but so smooth and efficient.
If you want to walk on the wild side order the Bronze .78 OC plate. I just received one in a trade with Noslen and it really requires my full attention. I have only had 3 shaves so far and it is more aggressive than my R41 and I’m pulling out my Sterling HA next to see which is the aggressive winner.
I followed up today with the Sterling HA using the same Rapira Super Stainless that I used in the Bronze.78 2 days ago. The aggressive winner was Bronze .78, but the Sterling HA was smoother and more effective. It would be hard for me to pick the more efficient razor because both delivered a good BBS shave on 3 passes.

It will take more work with the Bronze .78, but for now it’s like having a pet rattlesnake.

I honestly hope that plate fares better for you eventually than it did me, I've never gotten along too great with Timeless' bronze plates, and open combs can be very hit or miss for me as well. Although, the last time I shaved with the OC plate for the Blackbird loaded up with a Lord Blue Sword, I had a fantastic shave with it

Having only tried a few razors myself I can't claim it as the pinnacle but my Ti Bird has completely stopped my desires to acquire any other razors. I'm sure there is another high-end razor that would equal or maybe slightly exceed the Bird for me but then you have to ask yourself if buying one or multiple $300+ razors to find out for what would be a miniscule improvement at best. Right now for me, that answer is no.

I think you have me convinced.
The return-policy makes this an easy maker to explore...

Thanks!
Unfortunately I don’t have a complete SS timeless razor to compare with my Ti Timeless.95 OC, to give you guidance. I do have an SS Timeless Slim OC plate which I’ve used on other non-Timeless SS handles, but that’s not a fair comparison. The Slim OC is a much more aggressive plate than the .95 OC. Really, with Timeless return policy you can’t go wrong. Call and talk with them. Confirm your ability to switch out plates, handles, razors if unsatisfied. Good luck.

Let's be clear for people who have yet to learn, there is no "pinnacle" of performance for everyone. One person's "pinnacle" is another person's garbage when it comes to razors, blades, brushes, soaps, creams, aftershaves, fragrances, and on and on. There is no best anything in any field. No best car, no best boat, no best computer, no best aircraft, no best house, no best anything.

Top Bottom