What's new

Is the 'Bird the "performance pinnacle"?

Been upgrading my razor collection lately.

Purchased a Blackbird SS SB, and Blackbird Brass OC.
These two razors shave better than anything else I had in my collection - by a W I D E margin.

Also recently purchased a Blutt BR-1 1.20.
The Blutt is really, really nice. But doesn't yield as close of a shave as the 'Birds.
After receiving the Blutt, I shaved exclusively with it every-other-day for a few weeks.
Then, this am, I shaved with the SS SB Bird - and the difference is more striking that I had anticipated.

maybe the stars have aligned for me with the 'Bird?
combination of: technique, angle, face geometry, beard texture, etc. who knows?
But the shaves i get from this razor are UN-paralleled.

So question: is this the top of the mountain for me?

I do have a BYOR Yates Brass H plate on order.
Would like to try a Lambda Athena and Charcoal Goods (gen 01 or 02) Level 2, someday.
And then there are the Wolfman WR1 and WR2 lurking in the shadows, scheming for the contents of my wallet. lol
(if I spent $400+ for a Wolfie, and it *didn't* beat my 'Birds - I think I'd be a little pissed, honestly... looking like jewlery doesnt compensate for middling performance, in my book)

But seriously!
Does anyone have a razor that they like *better* than the Blackbird?
(speaking strictly performance. fit/finish, ergonomics, etc aside...)

I'd love to hear about those preferences.
Please share.

To answer your question: yes, I have several razors that I prefer to the Blackbird. In fact, I sold my Blackbird. It was a fine razor, but, as I said, I had others I preferred and didn't see the sense in owning such an expensive razor that wasn't among my favorites.

That said, I think that the "combination of: technique, angle, face geometry, beard texture, etc. who knows?" (as you said) are the critical factors in finding the best performing razor for any particular individual. The DE razors that I prefer to the Blackbird are the Blackland Dart, Karve Christopher Bradley (with SB G plate), Muhle Rocca and RazoRock Lupo .95 OC.

For my face, the Blackbird is my best performing DE razor. And I've given it some pretty stiff competition, such as high-gap Wolfman razors. The Blackbird more easily gives me a longer lasting shave. However, the absolute pinnacle of performance for me comes from razors that use GEM blades. Maybe I'm just a GEM guy, but my L2 Sabre is the top of the heap in terms of efficiency and smoothness of shave. I still love my Blackbird though. It's a really great razor.

The DE razors that I prefer to the Blackbird are the Blackland Dart, Karve Christopher Bradley (with SB G plate), Muhle Rocca and RazoRock Lupo .95 OC.

Interesting list for comparison.

I owned the Dart a while back and could never tame that thing from giving me nics and weepers, irritation.
It's what probably kept me away from the Blackbird for so long - thinking they would be similar.

The Karve i also tried and tried to love - but couldn't tame that one, either.
I had the C, D, E OC plates. (actually have this one posted for sale in the BST right now)

The Muhle Rocca (birch handle) I own now.
I like that razor, but it's nowhere near as efficient or close-shaving as the Blackbird, for me.
The thick, long handle ergonomics of this razor are not my favorite, though. (although the birch is both unique and beautiful)

The Lupo I own now.
.72 and .95 SB plates. I like the .95 a lot. Probably should try the new OC plate...
This will be the hardest "mid-tier" (pricewise) razor currently in my collection to let go of.
(I have a *strict* limitation of 6 total razors, and planned future purchases have potential to push this one out of the nest)

Last edited:
My only complain is that the optimal angle doesn't feel intuitive and I have to ''think'' when I shave. Don't get me wrong, I get some of my best shaves from my stainless sb Blackbird, but I kinda wish the angle was more intuitive though.
Interesting.... I had a stellar first shave with it, right out of the box. (I guess that makes it intuitive for me?)
I like the audible feedback the 'birds give you. I find that makes it easier to dial-in the best cutting angle...

Interesting.... I had a stellar first shave with it, right out of the box. (I guess that makes it intuitive for me?)
I like the audible feedback the 'birds give you. I find that makes it easier to dial-in the best cutting angle...

I think it all comes down to angle preference. With some razors, I can shave on autopilot from the very first use like I've been shaving with them for years and others just feel like I have to twist my palm or grab the razor in a way that I don't really enjoy doing and while not all of them are bad shavers, I'm really a fan of autopilot razors more. If the Blackbird was an autopilot razor, I would have stopped looking for modern razors on the spot. I no longer have the same interest in modern razors like before thanks to the Blackbird, but I wouldn't pass a good offer. My overall score for the Blackbird is 9.5/10.

There are many razors more efficient than the Blackbird SB, but few razors are more forgiving and accepting of any blade.
The Blackbird may be the one and only with balance. Bird is my reference razor.

But I'd like to recommend a few razors I like even better than that.

First is RR's wumderbar, she is wonderfully efficient with little feedback. It bites if you're not careful, but it's fun. Beautiful flowers have thorns.

stando chors she has a great gap of 1.30, blutt has never used it but it's the same directional razor, more efficient than bird and just as smooth depending on the blade (there are some weles that are a little more forgiving)

I'm tempted by the nice Wolfman on ebay. If I were to buy a WR2 with a 1.25SB/1.15OC in DC with a Darwin handle, I'd like to tailor it…..

G

Guest2023

Yes. I have many, many modern and vintage razors I prefer to BB. I'm not even sure BB can make my top 100 or 150 razors. (I am not exaggerating.)

To me, BB is DE version of Gem MMOC. Much blade forwarded design gives you super efficiency.
and both of them have uncomfortable perpendicular lined handle.

Lots of people love them but I often think if a razor is that much blade forwarded, it's not surprising that it has super efficiency.
There is no 'wow' factor at all.

Your favorite isn't my favorite. My no. 1 razor might not be included your top 100 razors.

Last edited by a moderator:
A trade brought a new Timeless .95 OC and a SS BB to my den. For my face, the Timeless delivered an incredible and brainless daily BBS with 3 passes. Much more of a close shave than the Overlander and a true BBS razor, for me. The BB was a weapon that would leave a smooth face and a few weepers. It was like a weapon, just yearning to slaughter hair and skin alike if not driven with care. For me, my morning ritual is about easy and meditative movement, not a balance beam with hungry alligators below. For me the Timeless is the pinnacle.

I think there are better razors, but my opinion doesn't really matter. If it works for you it works for you.
I had one and i liked it pretty well, but I ended up selling it. Too blade forward for my taste.

To me thus is kinda like asking other people if they think your need prescription glasses make their vision clear and 'aren't they the best glasses ever'? For YOU, those glasses may be the best imaginable. But I wouldn't expect everybody to enjoy them.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Given that many here refer to the SB when they talk about "the" Blackbird, try the OC (corlay excluded, he also has both plates. more a general remark). Which is not for everyone, but imo noticeably more efficient. But neither became my favorite. The required rather shallow angle is probably the main reason.

I shave with the Timeless Slim OC or preferably anything else that shaves steep, with a big love for Wolfman clones.
The Blackbird has a gigantic fanclub particularly on B&B that generates a lot of self-reinforcing praise.
A bit like the Rex Ambassador or Envoy. I am not particularly taken by these either.

Given that many here refer to the SB when they talk about "the" Blackbird, try the OC (corlay excluded, he also has both plates. more a general remark). Which is not for everyone, but imo noticeably more efficient. But neither became my favorite. The required rather shallow angle is probably the main reason.

I shave with the Timeless Slim OC or preferably anything else that shaves steep, with a big love for Wolfman clones.
The Blackbird has a gigantic fanclub particularly on B&B that generates a lot of self-reinforcing praise.
A bit like the Rex Ambassador or Envoy. I am not particularly taken by these either.

I'm also not a huge fan of the shaving angle of the Blackbird. It makes me use the razor in a way that feels odd to me and it's hard for me to explain. It does feel quite nice during the shave and the end result rivals all my favorite razors though. If only the angle was a bit steep.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
(...) If only the angle was a bit steep.
I was already relieved that it worked out better than the Windsor SB90 for you! :)
Recently @ClumsyBull mentioned us living in a new era of super smooth but also super effective razors. The Blackland Era also is quite like that, very tight clamping etc., also look at Stando/Blutt or the Overlander. If you like it steep the Overlander is more likely to work for you than the Karve e.g..

I like the Timeless Slim more than the .95 Timeless plates, which are very smooth and efficient, but I don't mind the not quite so smooth Slim for the added efficiency.

So the performance pinnacle for me, Wunderbar and Slim, is not for everyone. The Wunderbar has a nasty habit to bite unnoticed but is otherwise fantastic in every regard. The Slim is probably a shock to many shavers coming from a .95 Timeless, as it is a VERY different kind of shaving experience.

I am heretic enough to say design wise I see more potential in the Era line than in the Blackbird.

P.S. I would like to remind people that heretics aren't burnt before Friday this week! ;)
(starts running)

I was already relieved that it worked out better than the Windsor SB90 for you! :)
Recently @ClumsyBull mentioned us living in a new era of super smooth but also super effective razors. The Blackland Era also is quite like that, very tight clamping etc., also look at Stando/Blutt or the Overlander. If you like it steep the Overlander is more likely to work for you than the Karve e.g..

I like the Timeless Slim more than the .95 Timeless plates, which are very smooth and efficient, but I don't mind the not quite so smooth Slim for the added efficiency.

So the performance pinnacle for me, Wunderbar and Slim, is not for everyone. The Wunderbar has a nasty habit to bite unnoticed but is otherwise fantastic in every regard. The Slim is probably a shock to many shavers coming from a .95 Timeless, as it is a VERY different kind of shaving experience.

I am heretic enough to say design wise I see more potential in the Era line than in the Blackbird.

P.S. I would like to remind people that heretics aren't burnt before Friday this week! ;)
(starts running)

I'm thinking about getting a Timeless at some point, but I'm not sure which one though. I would either pick the .95 OC or the Slim, but I've heard that the Slim isn't for everyone. A friend of mine has recently bought the a titanium Timeless .95 SB and I will ask him at some point to try it. I guess the SB version can give me an idea of how the OC would perform.

Top Bottom