What's new

Is Tabasco overlooked these days?

It is impossible to make a proper Bloody Mary without Tabasco Sauce! :001_wub:

You are probably right there. I was trying to think of a situation where I would prefer Tabasco over some other hot sauce and I think that would be the place.

I have been making my own hot sauces lately, and I think I would prefer them over Tabasco for most purposes for their complexity. Before I started doing my own, I was getting into a whole bunch of different special versions, not necessarily artisanal and not necessarily all that potent, along with Cholula, which I think I would use as my general hot sauce. Frank's for wings certainly. I think I would reach for Crystal or Texas Pete over Tabasco for things other than Bloody Marys.

Nothing wrong with Tabasco and I guess I admit to not keeping up with the newer flavors apart from the original version. But it does seem simpler than my real favorites.

I always have chipotle Tobasco in my cabinet.
no cabinet at work :crying:

$Hot_zpsd0ab4783.jpg
but i have a storage room!

I'll take Tapatio over Tabasco any day of the week. Unless, we're talking about the Chipotle Tabasco. Can't stand the regular stuff, too much vinegar for me.

I've always favored the vinegar based Tabasco.

It is a must have when I do avocado's on toast (mashed avocado with crumbled bacon and Tabasco over toast liberally spread with Mayo).

I grew up on this as my every day breakfast. My folks have a massive avocado tree in their back yard that produces hundreds of avocados a year (has fruit for about 9 months out of the year).

Not very appealing to look at but if you try it you will be in heaven.....

proxy.php
Saw avacados on sale at the store and thought of this post. Figured I'd give it a shot. Good stuff! I forgot you said bacon and didn't have any fresh on hand.. so used real bacon bits we had on hand.

Cant go wrong with Tabasco. I also like their Chipotle sauce too.

Lately I've been experimenting making my own sauces. Its a lot of fun trying to craft your own signature recipe and pretty easy to make.

Saw avocados on sale at the store and thought of this post. Figured I'd give it a shot. Good stuff!

Good to hear you enjoyed it. The avocado tree at my parents house was part of the old Rancho Santa Anita avocado orchard when they subdivided it up for houses in the 60's. There were a lot of big trees in the neighborhood when I was growing up but now I think theirs is one of the last remaining as the demand for larger and larger houses has meant that many of the old smaller homes have been demolished and new houses that cover the entire lots have been built.

Their avocado tree covers the entire back yard from the rear of the house to the 3 fences that enclose the yard. 4 people joining hands could NOT reach around the trunk when I was growing up and I am sure it has become much large in the decades since I lived there as a child.

Avocados is one thing I will never grow tired of. I had one tonight cut up in my salad and will have another on toast tomorrow for breakfast. WITH Tabasco on it of course :001_smile

Good to hear you enjoyed it. The avocado tree at my parents house was part of the old Rancho Santa Anita avocado orchard when they subdivided it up for houses in the 60's. There were a lot of big trees in the neighborhood when I was growing up but now I think theirs is one of the last remaining as the demand for larger and larger houses has meant that many of the old smaller homes have been demolished and new houses that cover the entire lots have been built.

Their avocado tree covers the entire back yard from the rear of the house to the 3 fences that enclose the yard. 4 people joining hands could NOT reach around the trunk when I was growing up and I am sure it has become much large in the decades since I lived there as a child.

Avocados is one thing I will never grow tired of. I had one tonight cut up in my salad and will have another on toast tomorrow for breakfast. WITH Tabasco on it of course :001_smile
The wife especially LOVES avocados, and our baby is just getting to the age where we can start feeding him mashed avocados. You don't ship any of those do ya? :D

I have about a half dozen hot sauces on the table and around 3 more in the fridge, but if I had to, I could get by with just Tabasco and Siriracha.

I'll take Tapatio over Tabasco any day of the week. Unless, we're talking about the Chipotle Tabasco. Can't stand the regular stuff, too much vinegar for me.

Interesting that the chipotle Tabasco is such a hit around here. I will have to take it more seriously. Props to Tabasco for innovating.

My favorite it the Tabasco Chipotle but it is becoming harder to find here. I like the flavor and it's not quite so hot. Other than it, plain Tabasco or good ole Louisiana Hot Sauce, but make sure it is the genuine thing, from Louisiana.

The wife especially LOVES avocados, and our baby is just getting to the age where we can start feeding him mashed avocados. You don't ship any of those do ya? :D

The tree is over 3,000 miles away from me, so no, I don't think so :001_smile

we get ours at the grocery store now :sad:

proxy.php

There are plenty of pepper sauces around, all with different flavor and heat profiles. But Tabasco is the "gold standard."

Tabasco used to be a regional specialty, but today it's an essential pantry item, just like salt, pepper, sugar, granulated garlic, and paprika. It has uses in virtually every kind of the world's great cuisines, from European to Latin and Asian. No kitchen should be without it.

I quit Tobasco when I found Louisiana hot sauce. I also love Valentina hot sauce. I like to add about two tablespoons of Louisiana to a bag of freshly popped microwave popcorn, shake the bag real good to evenly distribute and enjoy. Just don't rub your eyes with your eating hand.

I quit Tobasco when I found Louisiana hot sauce. I also love Valentina hot sauce. I like to add about two tablespoons of Louisiana to a bag of freshly popped microwave popcorn, shake the bag real good to evenly distribute and enjoy. Just don't rub your eyes with your eating hand.

I have to give this a try. I've never eaten hot sauce on popcorn before but it sounds just gross enough to be awesome :thumbup:

Top Bottom