What's new

Is Tabasco overlooked these days?

Cooks Illustrated rated it as not recommended I believe.

yes they did. But it was up against much more complex sauces. Everything they said was "wrong" with it, were the things that people LIKE about it. It IS vinegary. It IS simple.
But the winner if I remember, was Sriracha which is also one of my favorites -- but the two are in no way interchangeable.

yes they did. But it was up against much more complex sauces. Everything they said was "wrong" with it, were the things that people LIKE about it. It IS vinegary. It IS simple.
But the winner if I remember, was Sriracha which is also one of my favorites -- but the two are in no way interchangeable.

+1. Sriracha is thicker, more garlicky, and sweeter. I use it in place of ketchup. My fiancé (who has Crohns disease and has to avoid anything spicy) thinks I am completely insane.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Is tabasco overlooked? You bet. Hot sauces are like sports teams, and everyone has their favorite. Tabasco is good, as are Frank's, Texas Pete's, Sriracha, El Yucateco, Melinda's, Tapatio and a host of others. You can always make you own with a blender, peppers, vinegar, and whatever else you feel it needs.

Tabasco is my favorite hot sauce. It is what hot sauce is supposed to be vinger, salt, peppers. Simple and wonderful. I use siracha, louisiana hot sauce, choula, and tapatio, but 9 times out of 10 it is Tabasco, the king of hot sauces.

One of my favorite snacks is lays classic potato chips with tobasco. Simplicity at its best.

Diced tomatoes and onions dosed with tobasco is a great topper for grilled hamburgers even tacos. Also good with avocado.

I think it is getting a little overlooked these days when everything has to be 'artisanal' to be considered a good quality foodie item. When that fad is over it'll get the love back

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I like Cholula for its savory flavor but if I had to pick one hot sauce it would be classic tabasco. Second choice, tabasco green. Third choice, cholula. Well, I kinda like the Mexican chick on the label, too.

Empty colula bottles make great AS bottles, BTW. All the cheaper aftershaves have gone to plastic.

I don't personally care for the OG Tabasco (too simple IMO), but I love their Smoked Chipotle, and Frank's is also a winner in my book.

tabasco is a staple in my cooking. its classic. the smallest usage adds just enough of that "secret ingrediant" to anything. soups, egg dishes, sauces.

there are plenty of other great items out there but there is only one tabasco.

Tabasco is my all time favourite also.
Dutch Michelin star chef Ron Blauw just released a limited edition of my favourite hot sauce.
In true B&B spirit, I bought 4 ;-)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I like Cholula for its savory flavor but if I had to pick one hot sauce it would be classic tabasco. Second choice, tabasco green. Third choice, cholula. Well, I kinda like the Mexican chick on the label, too.

Empty colula bottles make great AS bottles, BTW. All the cheaper aftershaves have gone to plastic.
Maybe that's it. I have a weakness for Latinas.

It's not. It's one of the few hot sauces that come in travel bottles compliant with airline travel on board. I always have it in my travel bag.

Top Bottom