What's new

Is square point too much for me?

Hello all! I got into wet shaving about 6 months ago. One of my reasons was the increasing cartridge razor prizes, ironically in last 6 months I suppose I have spent more money into wet shaving than I will ever spent on cartridges for the rest of my life :) No regrets.

However I planing to attempt something, I might regret thus I need your thoughts and experiences on the issue please.

I have started straight razor shaving with a Feather SS than I got my self a Dovo Bismarck 2 and recently a Singing Thiers-Issard. Problem is the TI always nick my cheeks, if I am not super careful. I don't want to be super careful, I want to enjoy the shave. Also I almost always shave all my beard, no detailing work.

This is an issue I have never experienced with the Feather or the Dovo. Should I keep practicing while not enjoy my shaves with the TI or round the corner of the square a bit?

DSP00586-01.jpeg

As you can see the photo above the TI (top right) is even more sharper on the corner than a DE blade. I am not planing to make it as round as the Dovo (top left) nor the Feather but what do you think?

images2.jpg

Here is an image I found on the internet. I aiming for the bullet head, while gently scraping the corner with an angle to 1000 whetstone, one short stroke at a time. Any other suggestions for the method?

DSP00613-01-01.jpeg

And here is a beauty shot of my current collection :p Thanks.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@kargi42, I started my traditional SR journey shaving with Dutch (round) point SRs, like your Dovo. Many months later I purchased my first "dangerous" SR, a Gold Dollar W59.

IMG_20210203_140531.jpg

This SR became one of my most favoured. It took much more concentration and skill to shave with.

I understand your wish to be super careful with your shaves and by necessity further develop your SR shaving skills. As such, @Steve56 has given you good advice. Just remember, once a toe is muted, it takes some work on the stones to get it back to being pointy and sharp again.

My suggestion to you is to persevere with your TI as is and learn to shave with it successfully. I feel that you will find this more satisfying in the longer term.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
@kargi42, I started my traditional SR journey shaving with Dutch (round) point SRs, like your Dovo. Many months later I purchased my first "dangerous" SR, a Gold Dollar W59.

This SR became one of my most favoured. It took much more concentration and skill to shave with.

I understand your wish to be super careful with your shaves and by necessity further develop your SR shaving skills. As such, @Steve56 has given you good advice. Just remember, once a toe is muted, it takes some work on the stones to get it back to being pointy and sharp again.

My suggestion to you is to persevere with your TI as is and learn to shave with it successfully. I feel that you will find this more satisfying in the longer term.
Ditto

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod

I understand your wish not to be super careful with your shaves and by necessity further develop your SR shaving skills. As such, @Steve56 has given you good advice. Just remember, once a toe is muted, it takes some work on the stones to get it back to being pointy and sharp again.

Corrected.

I would also keep the point. When you want an effortless shave use your other razor, then TI for detailed work and when you have the time to focus. My 2 cents for what it’s worth.

You can mute the tip without deforming it. If you're thinking about doing it, go for it. I get it, too, as I only buy round-point razors. Nothing wrong with that.

Hello all! I got into wet shaving about 6 months ago. One of my reasons was the increasing cartridge razor prizes, ironically in last 6 months I suppose I have spent more money into wet shaving than I will ever spent on cartridges for the rest of my life :) No regrets.

However I planing to attempt something, I might regret thus I need your thoughts and experiences on the issue please.

I have started straight razor shaving with a Feather SS than I got my self a Dovo Bismarck 2 and recently a Singing Thiers-Issard. Problem is the TI always nick my cheeks, if I am not super careful. I don't want to be super careful, I want to enjoy the shave. Also I almost always shave all my beard, no detailing work.

This is an issue I have never experienced with the Feather or the Dovo. Should I keep practicing while not enjoy my shaves with the TI or round the corner of the square a bit?

View attachment 1600925

As you can see the photo above the TI (top right) is even more sharper on the corner than a DE blade. I am not planing to make it as round as the Dovo (top left) nor the Feather but what do you think?

View attachment 1600926

Here is an image I found on the internet. I aiming for the bullet head, while gently scraping the corner with an angle to 1000 whetstone, one short stroke at a time. Any other suggestions for the method?

View attachment 1600928

And here is a beauty shot of my current collection :p Thanks.

The irony is that no matter what kind of point you have,
if you ever forget that you need to be careful ...

If you don't enjoy getting cut from the TI then send it to me because I love the feel of styptic on my face!!

Seriously you can have the point muted if you prefer, but I have no TI so I will be happy to receive it. :)

Thanks a lot for your feedback. The proper terms like "mute" and "toe" allowed me to research more about it. Finally I decided to ever so slightly touch the toe 1K stone, and re-finish the factory edge on 8K and 12K Naniwa's.
story_1675754177172.jpg

This mornings shave was a treat, one week old beard but not a single drop of blood.

Now the Thiers Issard feels even more eaiser to handle than the Bismarck 2. I was contemplating about getting a 5/8 as a second SR, but know I know not every 6/8 handles same.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. The proper terms like "mute" and "toe" allowed me to research more about it. Finally I decided to ever so slightly touch the toe 1K stone, and re-finish the factory edge on 8K and 12K Naniwa's.
View attachment 1601916
This mornings shave was a treat, one week old beard but not a single drop of blood.

Now the Thiers Issard feels even more eaiser to handle than the Bismarck 2. I was contemplating about getting a 5/8 as a second SR, but know I know not every 6/8 handles same.
You really have two sweet razors already. I have been playing around with a few 5/8'ts lately. 6/8 and 7/8 razors are just the perfect size for me.
The Bismarck was one of my first razors. This truly is a work horse.

Top Bottom