What's new

Is sharpness in a blade overrated? Does it really matter?

My experience has shown me that you don't need a Feather blade to get a fantastic shave, and indeed Feathers are almost a novelty item. I do just fine with Derbys.

Do you really need a supser sharp blade? And will more sharpness equal a better shave?

I think you need a balance of sharpness and smoothness. I get a better shave out of my Red Packs than a feather, not because the RP is sharper than a feather (not even close) but it is smoother to me.

I think tihs is really based on what kind of beard you have. If you have an easy beard, then any average razor will probably work for you. However, if you have a beard that would challenge barbed wire, as I do, blades like Feathers are very useful. If you can get a great shave out of a more average blade, count yourself lucky since it will cost you much less to buy blades.

If sharpness didn't matter, then why ever change the blade in your DE or hone your st8?

I changed the Derby in my Progress a few days ago and then had to shave without my normal preshave shower. I thought I prepped as well as I could and the shave turned out pretty decent. What I didn't notice until today was that I had obviously hopelessly dulled the blade and suffered through 3 more shaves wondering about my technique. Today, after the first tugging stroke, I switched to a new Derby and the difference from the very first stroke was phenomenal. I hope to learn to recognize the signs and feeling of that dull blade more quickly in the future.

I've been pondering this for a couple of hours. Hopefully one of the knowledgeable honemeisters will weigh in.

It seems to me that sharpness, or really the perceived sharpness, is a factor of two or three variables.

1. The angle of the bevel
2. How well the edge is polished
3. the thickness of the edge

Again it would seem to me that the real difference between all of these blades are the fineness of the edge; how well polished/scratch free the edge is.

True?

Used a Feather for the first time and it was one of the closest shaves I've ever had. I had mostly been using Derby, Crystals, and (gasp) Merkurs previously.

I believe different blades do shave differently, and each shaves differently in different razors. You have to find those that work best for you with your razors, according to your beard type, shaving technique, and desired result.

I think tihs is really based on what kind of beard you have. If you have an easy beard, then any average razor will probably work for you. However, if you have a beard that would challenge barbed wire, as I do, blades like Feathers are very useful. If you can get a great shave out of a more average blade, count yourself lucky since it will cost you much less to buy blades.

I think he nailed it. My best shaves have been with a feather. Astras and derby's were good for me aswell, but they pulled atg, whereas the feather sliced through my thick whiskers.

Mind you, i've had great shaves with lord super stainless blades, but the edge doesn't last long enough for me. By the end of the shave the blade is ready for the spentblade tin.

Do you really need a supser sharp blade? And will more sharpness equal a better shave?

No, and No, though YMMV. Some guys are pickier about their blades than others. I think this idea that "tough beards need feathers" is overstated. All these blades are extremely sharp and quite capable of delivering a good shave. My beard is tough enough that when I used an electric it used to occasionally jam the cutters like a lawnmower does in deep grass. I would have to disassemble the @%#@# head to get it off my face, which is not a pleasant experience and what drove me to wetshaving.

My favorite blade when I used a DE were the american personnas that you can get at CVS, Kroger, Walgreens, and Wal-Mart. They weren't the sharpest, but they shaved just fine in my favorite fatboy razor, and they won out over the derbys and feathers because of convenience.

Nowadays I use a straight, but even there I don't get it as sharp as I possibly can. There's a definite sweet spot for me that hits the right balance between sharpness and smoothness. If I get the blade sharper then in a few days I'll start feeling it when I splash on the aftershave, and if I let the blade get a bit duller then I'll notice it takes longer to shave and I need more touch-up work. One of the things I really like about the straight is that I can keep the razor at nearly a constant level of sharpness and smoothness day after day after day.

Last edited:
....My beard is tough enough that when I used an electric it used to occasionally jam the cutters like a lawnmower does in deep grass. I would have to disassemble the @%#@# head to get it off my face, which is not a pleasant experience and what drove me to wetshaving.

OUCH!

I think the combination of skin type and hair type must play a role in this discussion too. I can get a close shave with a Feather but I also get irritation every time. They seem to pull and tug more than they cut. In contrast I get zero irritation and no tugging with a Derby.

I am fair skinned and burn easily in the sun. My beard is mixed with the brown and red hairs being softer and flat as opposed to the grey hairs which are tough like wire and round.

Is there a consensus of skin/hair types that get the best shaves with a Feather as opposed to a different less sharp brand of blade?

There are too many variables. I have found that different blades work better in different razors. For example, a Feather works better than a Derby for me in my 40's SS, but not so in my Merkur 38C. RPIP's work great in everything, but I still get my closest shaves with the Derby in the 38C. Everyone's face is different. If the Derbys are working for you on your face and in your razor, then you are there. It doesn't mean the Feather won't work better for someone else in another set up.

It just means that YMMV rides again.

:kyle1:

Sharpness does matter but smoothness and razor matter as well.

In a slant a great sharp and smooth blade is the iridium. On the other hand, the astras are sharper, provide one excellent shave but provides too many cuts. Feathers are also excellent but unsure if its optimal as an everyday blade.

Feathers blades gives me the best shaves but only in combinaton with soaps that gives great cushion otherwise they may be harse on the skin.
With the less cushiony lathers I prefer a sharp but smoother blade.

But for me sharpness does matter a lot. I have a thick beard and the sharper, the better the shave (considered with was stated above).
My prep is only a shower and/or 2-3mins wait after I lathered up.
I think lots of people are doing preshave stuff and rituals because they have to but don't if the would move to a sharper blade.

After shaving successfully with Red Pack Israeli Personna blades for over a year, I decided to try some of the other blades that folks rave about. I ordered some Swedish Gillettes, Feathers, Astra Superior Platinums, and Gillette 7'Oclock Yellows. What I discovered is that nothing shaves me as closely and comfortably as the Red IP.

YMMV is key. I'm not saying that "feathers are a must for thick bears" but just from my experience, against the grain, the only blade that lasted 1 shave without tugging was the feather. Furthermore, it was like that for 3.5 shaves, whereas the most i've gotten out of every other blade i've tried is 2. Its not just that i've got alot of hair on my face, its also that the hair diameter is really thick, and perhaps the flexibility and sharpness of the feather are what make it a good blade for me.

No, you do not need a super sharp blade to get a good shave. You can get a decent shave from a Dorco 300. However, the super sharp blades give me a better shave than the other options. It is a small difference, but it is better for me.

On the other side, the solution for YMMV is the cartridge. Just think of it as Gillette's way of saying "we don't care what you like".

Top Bottom