What's new

Is Proraso White a good soap?

The most important thing seems to be sealing the unused portion in an airtight container and keeping in a cool, dark place. Some people have used the refrigerator or freezer with no bad effects as long as the soap is packaged well. Lots of methods for preservation are described in the forum. Here's one good thread:

I have not personally needed the kilo brick. I just buy another tub when I run low. No issues with spoilage yet.

At that price, Proraso soaps are very good. Not the slickest lather, but it's still good and very protective. I don't use white much - it's fairly mind in terms of scent (light & sweet green tea mostly), but I can say it's good for the skin and it pairs well with pretty much any aftershave.

I still prefer Red & Green soaps, which - with their respective splashes and creams - are what I use most of the time. I combine Single blade "green" and "red" beard oil and cologne with these.

I just took a whiff of the soap. It smells similar to the green Proraso scent, only milder. Basically a simple, old fashioned cologne scent, sort of like what you'ld find around here in Florida in Spanish-speaking groceries.

The most important thing seems to be sealing the unused portion in an airtight container and keeping in a cool, dark place. Some people have used the refrigerator or freezer with no bad effects as long as the soap is packaged well. Lots of methods for preservation are described in the forum. Here's one good thread:

I have not personally needed the kilo brick. I just buy another tub when I run low. No issues with spoilage yet.

I am surprised they don't add tocopherols to their soap, that would take care of rancidity for the most part.

I've had Godrej shave soap go bad after about a year, so that's why I'm concerned at all.

I suspect Cella was once a strictly local, artisan product that has gotten a little bit of an international following.

Last edited:
I've always just placed mine in a Ziploc bag in a closet. My first kilo took me 2 1/2 years to 3017, and I never had a problem with rancidity.

Cella is just keeping close to their original recipe, as far as I know.

I think you would be fine to keep the unused portion in a sealed container in your dresser drawer or maybe the fridge since you are in Florida.

Proraso White surprised me when I tried it out. I thought it would be a neutral boring soap but it's got a bit of Nivea-like scent to it and good amount of menthol as well. It does not have the best slickness but it does the job for me. It's a fine soap for the value.

Proraso White surprised me when I tried it out. I thought it would be a neutral boring soap but it's got a bit of Nivea-like scent to it and good amount of menthol as well. It does not have the best slickness but it does the job for me. It's a fine soap for the value.
Many years ago, Proraso White was the first "real" soap that I bought when I decided to try something other than Williams and Nivea. So, I have a bit of a soft spot for it.

As @Timeclo mentioned, the scent is reminiscent of Nivea. Some people hate it, but to me, it doesn't really smell that strongly of anything. It's like an extremely dumbed-down version of the Green. :laugh:

Many years ago, Proraso White was the first "real" soap that I bought when I decided to try something other than Williams and Nivea. So, I have a bit of a soft spot for it.

As @Timeclo mentioned, the scent is reminiscent of Nivea. Some people hate it, but to me, it doesn't really smell that strongly of anything. It's like an extremely dumbed-down version of the Green. :laugh:
Proraso white was my first soap as well. It still works fine for me, I use it regularly. Lathers easy, the lather fulfills it’s duty.

i would use it.

mycroft

I’ve been using it and the AS balm for the last couple of days to fix up some irritation from some Derby Extra blades. It’s good stuff.

proxy.php

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

I have only good things to say about Proraso. I have finished a tub of white and enjoyed every shave.
I like the scent a lot - it's very pleasant, with just enough menthol to be cooling.
It's very easy to lather. The container is very well designed allowing you to hold it easily and lather. By the time you're done you'll be wishing you had a couple more shaves with it.
The container is also great for reuse - transferring other soaps or creams.

The scent is a synthetic almond marzipan

Cella contains actual almond oil so not sure it's benzaldehyde scented (I guess technically it is, since it's in the almond oil) Perhaps someone who has it can help?
Nothing against benzaldehyde - I have Vitos brick which is benzaldehyde scented and find it amazing.

I have only good things to say about Proraso. I have finished a tub of white and enjoyed every shave.
I like the scent a lot - it's very pleasant, with just enough menthol to be cooling.
It's very easy to lather. The container is very well designed allowing you to hold it easily and lather. By the time you're done you'll be wishing you had a couple more shaves with it.
The container is also great for reuse - transferring other soaps or creams.

Cella contains actual almond oil so not sure it's benzaldehyde scented (I guess technically it is, since it's in the almond oil) Perhaps someone who has it can help?
Nothing against benzaldehyde - I have Vitos brick which is benzaldehyde scented and find it amazing.

Sweet almond oil, like the kind used as a moisturizer, doesn't smell strong, it has almost no scent.

Benzaldehyde smells like bitter almond, and is widely used as a synthetic perfume scent. Real bitter almond oil is toxic as it contains cyanide, and I doubt they would use it. It would be even more sensitizing than using a synthetic chemical like benzaldehyde.

Sweet almond oil is more of a skin care ingredient that has hardly any scent. The almond smell is something that occurs naturally in bitter almonds. This is what we use in the kitchen as almond extract. The synthetic version is what we use in the kitchen as artificial almond flavoring. Cella's ingredient list contains an entry for perfume and that is where this strong almond scent is coming from, not the almond oil.

Sweet almond oil is more of a skin care ingredient that has hardly any scent. The almond smell is something that occurs naturally in bitter almonds. This is what we use in the kitchen as almond extract. The synthetic version is what we use in the kitchen as artificial almond flavoring. Cella's ingredient list contains an entry for perfume and that is where this strong almond scent is coming from, not the almond oil.

This just goes to show not all traditional products use completely natural ingredients. In fact, I would venture to guess most do not.

Synthetic aldehyde fragrances are quite old, older than a brand like Cella.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
This just goes to show not all traditional products use completely natural ingredients. In fact, I would venture to guess most do not.

Synthetic aldehyde fragrances are quite old, older than a brand like Cella.
I get a severe red rash from using Benzaldehyde. Cella gives me a severe burning red rash.

I’ve been using it and the AS balm for the last couple of days to fix up some irritation from some Derby Extra blades. It’s good stuff.

proxy.php

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Omega boar, zamak Merkur and Proraso soap... classique defined. 💕

I tried the Proraso this morning, combined with Dr. Bronner's soap as a preshave, a Bic Hybrid 2, lots of cold water, and some Dickenson's Hydrating Toner.

I think it's a good soap, more luxurious than Williams Mug Soap or Arko. The texture is not what I expected, it feels more like a firm cream, almost like the old Tom's of Maine. The lather is slick for a soap, but not as slick as some of the best shaving creams I have used. The appearance of the lather is more like glycerine soap, and less like traditional tallow. It looks slick rather than thick.

My only real complaints are that it seemed to have alot of cushion, similar to a tallow soap. I got a reasonably close shave as a result, but not the closest I have had. And also, the menthol content is a bit high for a sensitive skin product.

This soap is also reasonably toning even without aftershave. I can see how it pairs with the matching balm perfectly. I just used the toner primarily to wipe off any soap residue.

Last edited:
I've used Proraso white for my past 4 shaves...works great and I will keep using it as I have in my rotation with Proraso red and Arko.

Top Bottom