What's new

Is Proraso White a good soap?

I found some at Ross for 4 bucks and I thought that was too good of a deal, but I don't know whether I should keep it to use it, or resell it on eBay, or give it as a gift.

What are opinions on Proraso Sensitive Skin soap? I haven't used a Proraso product in ages, and only used the green tube and the sensitive skin balm, and I thought only the balm was something I'd want to use again: the green tube cream was way too irritating.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I love it. I use it every Monday when I start the week with a different razor and a new blade. It will have its detractors but there is a lot of love for this soap. The price is fine in my book.

I love it. I use it every Monday when I start the week with a different razor and a new blade. It will have its detractors but there is a lot of love for this soap. The price is fine in my book.

How hard is it? If I wanted to split it up and give some to my dad, is that possible?

It's my first proper soap and one of the only one's I've used up 100%. Very good for the price!
I have a friend who's converted to wetshaving and he also started with Proraso White. Ever since I've been sharing various samples with him, but when he finally saw the bottom of Proraso White jar, he went out and bought another one. A true non-hobbyist wetshaver!

How hard is it? If I wanted to split it up and give some to my dad, is that possible?
Sure, it has the consistency of Play-doh. You could scoop it out with a sturdy spoon.

A lot of people like it. It's good for people with sensitive skin. Some don't like the scent very much -- somewhat bland and vaguely medicinal.

There are many soaps that perform better . My opinion is that at the retail price point of Amazon and others, it's not worth it. But since you got it for that low price, I think its quality is about at that level.

It's just an okay soap , in my opinion, but you'll definitely find loyal fans around here who think it's the best thing ever.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

There are many soaps that perform better . My opinion is that at the retail price point of Amazon and others, it's not worth it. But since you got it for that low price, I think its quality is about at that level.

It's just an okay soap , in my opinion, but you'll definitely find loyal fans around here who think it's the best thing ever.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
+1

Proraso is a decent soap and if you can purchase it at a bargain price, it is a good value. However, if you are willing to spend more, there are far better soaps available that will provide a better shave and leave your skin feeling great afterward. However, I realize that some folks are on a budget and have to stick with value priced soaps.

Sir Fire, indeed, Proraso White is a great soap!
And perfect match for your balm!

(By the way, you might see if this trick will 'tame' your Green shave cream...
Squeeze a portion onto your shave bowl night before shaving, smear it around a bit to flatten, and leave it exposed to air overnight. Just to see if the fragrance and menthol evaporate just enough to make it more tolerable for you.)

proraso white corneta rubberset 200 july 29 2014.jpg

I've only tried the white as a cream, but the Red and Green tubs are in my rotation.

It's not an "automatic" latherer like a lot of the softer soaps these days. You pretty much have to drown it IMO, and use a brush with a lot of backbone (Marco method).

That being said, it kind of gets an unfair rap. Since its one of the cheaper shaving soaps out there, a lot of people use it as their first soap, form a bad opinion of it when four swirls of a damp brush doesn't lead to a good lather, and never really update their thinking. I see that more on Reddit than here, though.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Proraso is a very good soap that hits well above its price point. It may not be as slick as the new artisans, but it is very protective. I don't get bad shaves using Proraso. Many artisans won't last Proraso will. Proraso wouldn't be in business all these years, or as popular, if it was not good. I love the white...red...green...single blade Wood and Spice...

I got a tub for $4.99 and considered that a good deal. I would get something else for $10.00 which is a typical asking price on American websites. It's in the rotation.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
At that price, Proraso soaps are very good. Not the slickest lather, but it's still good and very protective. I don't use white much - it's fairly mind in terms of scent (light & sweet green tea mostly), but I can say it's good for the skin and it pairs well with pretty much any aftershave.

I still prefer Red & Green soaps, which - with their respective splashes and creams - are what I use most of the time. I combine Single blade "green" and "red" beard oil and cologne with these.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Many artisans won't last Proraso will
True, but more artisans will replace those that go.

That said. Proraso is good. I've used the canned foam (red can) and the CO Bigelow Cream in the tube which to my knowledge is the same as the green Proraso in a tube. I'd like to try their single edge soap the one with Vetiver.

Not the slickest lather, but it's still good and very protective.
I've never understood something not being slick but being protective. To me the slickness IS the protection. If a soap is not slick my razor tends to catch and is more likely to bite. How is it protective if not slick? I don't think of cushion as protection, cushion impedes the shave for me. If that is protective, well then, so is taking the blade out of the razor. I truly would like to know about not slick, but yet protective.

Proraso is a very good soap that hits well above its price point. It may not be as slick as the new artisans, but it is very protective. I don't get bad shaves using Proraso. Many artisans won't last Proraso will. Proraso wouldn't be in business all these years, or as popular, if it was not good. I love the white...red...green...single blade Wood and Spice...

It does seem to be a reliable brand with good manufacturing practices, even if some of their products won't suit everyone, of course.

True, but more artisans will replace those that go.

That said. Proraso is good. I've used the canned foam (red can) and the CO Bigelow Cream in the tube which to my knowledge is the same as the green Proraso in a tube. I'd like to try their single edge soap the one with Vetiver.

I've never understood something not being slick but being protective. To me the slickness IS the protection. If a soap is not slick my razor tends to catch and is more likely to bite. How is it protective if not slick? I don't think of cushion as protection, cushion impedes the shave for me. If that is protective, well then, so is taking the blade out of the razor. I truly would like to know about not slick, but yet protective.

I think it depends on overall "shaving style". The cushion school seems to favor tallow soaps, not surprising since tallow is mostly stearic acid, and it's used as a bulking emulsifier, the slickness school favors glycerine soaps and creams.

Top Bottom