What's new

Is Proraso (CO Bigelow) overrated? Am I the only one?

I love Proraso green. It was the first non-canned shave cream I tried and I was instantly hooked. I wander off to MWF, Arko, various RR soaps... the list goes on. But I always find my way back to the ever green.

I marvel at some of the reviews people give some soaps and creams and I say I must buy them......until the reviewer adds the it is almost as good as proraso!!!

Proraso is a good soap, nothing super special but it does the job and the price is competitive..
You have to remember that in Italy it's a $1.50 grocery store shaving soap, it's only $10 in North America because Bigelow is the exclusive and jacks the price. You have to judge Proraso versus other $2 soaps, not versus $20 artisan soaps.

After using many of the English creams for twenty five plus years, I transitioned to Proraso green about ten years ago and could not be more satisfied. For $7.49 a Tube of Eucalyptus Green, I'm one very, happy and satisfied close, comfortable shaver.

Got lucky today and picked up a tube of proraso red for $1.99 in Burlington . Usually it’s $5 there but I have enough tubes that I won’t buy anymore at $5 but $1.99 well you can’t say no .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the blue, green, and red in a cream, and the green as a soap, and I am totally happy with all of them. I only recently tried the blue which I got for $4.99 at Burlington and I absolutely enjoy that. I fully admit, price is a big consideration for me as I'm on a budget. I have yet to splurge on the artisan soaps, which I will eventually I'm sure, but as I'm not yet a year into DE shaving I'm sort of learning the ropes with the less expensive stuff. I may find out later that what I thought was good was only mediocre. But in the meantime I gotta agree with @buyandhold2018:
Proraso is a good soap, nothing super special but it does the job and the price is competitive..
You have to remember that in Italy it's a $1.50 grocery store shaving soap, it's only $10 in North America because Bigelow is the exclusive and jacks the price. You have to judge Proraso versus other $2 soaps, not versus $20 artisan soaps.

Depends on your expectations. It's great for the price and for most here in Europe it's their first soap. For 3,50 euros you can't go wrong, now over at the States I hear it's 10$, at that price you could buy RazoRock or various artisan soaps with a couple bucks more which are significantly greater in performance. The soaps aren't particularly great but I really enjoy their aftershaves and the Red pre-shave I got.

If you can get it for less than 2 Euros then it’s worth it. Otherwise overpriced. It’s like Godrej in India and Palmolive in Europe, for their cost price they’re fantastic creams but anything more than that, you could probably get better stuff. Overrated? Most definitely. But only on this site.

Top Bottom