What's new

Is Proraso Aftershave with eucalyptus and menthol better for your skin than cheaper brands?

Until recently I’ve been buying a cheaper aftershave, that cost about half the price of the Proraso Aftershave. I finally bought 2 bottles of the Proraso Aftershave again and it was like I’d forgotten how good it felt.

Would this be better for my skin? I just know the cheaper aftershave had a slightly harsh smell to it.

Im not sure its better for your skin, maybe something with no alcohol might be better for your skin. My top 5 aftershaves 1. Clubmam (cheap), aqua velva (cheap), fine american blend(pricey for me) razorock blue barber (middle of the road) proraso green (pricey for me). Some ingrediants like alcohol can be drying for some, life is about variety, i like to switch brands every day.

I will also add that even though i use proraso red from time to time i just tried the green this week and loved it, either way its a good splash.

‘Better’ is difficult to quantify, especially given variation in skin from one person to another. Proraso Green is terrific IMHO. It is definitely part of my AS rotation-especially during the warmer months.

It has some good ingredients like witch hazel and eucalyptus. It all depends on what's important to you. The best options for skin are balms with lots of good soothing nutrients and ingredients that calm irritation and promote healing and moisturizing. Nivea balm is pretty cheap.

Alcohol based splashes might be good for oily skin. It's all preference. Try samples of stuff that look interesting and buy what works out best for you. The cheaper drugstore ones that come in large plastic bottles tend to be mostly alcohol with some fragrance. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
For me in Italy Proraso is very cheap, I can find the 100ml glass bottle for less than €4,00 without too much trouble. Performance, of course, is fantastic.

I love Proraso but do not find it any better than Skin Bracer or AV.... I still call it pretty cheap, especially if you find the big bottle.

Alcohol based splashes might be good for oily skin.

Actually, I do have oily skin.

What specific aftershave are you comparing to? Ingredients vary widely.

Vetyver Malizia Uomo aftershave. I've found it to be an OK aftershave and it's about half the price of the Proraso aftershave (for the same size of bottle), it's just the smell is slightly harsh.

I love Proraso but do not find it any better than Skin Bracer or AV.... I still call it pretty cheap, especially if you find the big bottle.

I'll have to look out for the big bottle of Proraso then.

As someone with dry skin, I can vouch for Proraso splashes being as safe as artisan splashes.

Go ahead and douse your face without fear of prolonged irritation.

There really aren't a lot of useful ingredients in AS since you can't absorb nutrients topically (medicines are a different story), so the only thing you really need is something that soothes and moisturizes with fragrance a bonus. You might need to avoid certain ingredients that you react negatively too and avoid alcohol if you have dry skin.

Certain ingredients like menthol and eucalyptus can help reduce the feeling of irritation and can also promote vasodilation in the skin.

I really like Proraso green because the combination of menthol and eucalyptus is refreshing and soothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have the red and it makes my skin feel very powdery, but I like that feel. I have some expensive balms that smooth well and soften but leave my skin greasy. When it’s a Proraso day I very much enjoy everything about it.

I'm a big fan of it. Lately I have been using the Red because my face was so dry. In my opinion, it's a darn good product. The green in summer on a HHH day, the green cannot be beat.

Proraso looks and smells fantastic but I haven't found it any better than skin bracer or Aqua Velva original sport (green stuff).

Speick is something different for sure. Its amazi g stuff and worth the price but I only use it when I mess up

For me in Italy Proraso is very cheap, I can find the 100ml glass bottle for less than €4,00 without too much trouble. Performance, of course, is fantastic.

Yep, I thought Proraso was a “cheaper brand” - and there is nothing wrong with that.

If I was primarily looking for an inexpensive range that is good for my skin I would probably reach for some Nivea product.
They have been at it for a long time and are primarily into skin care and only secondarily into shaving creams.

Proraso (Dopo Barba) is one of the very few products that gave me a rash once.

B.

I have now noticed that itchiness on my chin has now mostly disappeared, since I stopped using the cheaper aftershave. I don't know if this is purely coincidental.

I'd been using the cheaper aftershave for years but the itchiness only started this year. So I don't know if something else was causing it.

I have now noticed that itchiness on my chin has now mostly disappeared, since I stopped using the cheaper aftershave. I don't know if this is purely coincidental.

I'd been using the cheaper aftershave for years but the itchiness only started this year. So I don't know if something else was causing it.

Your skin changes as you age and you might have drier skin now that reacts more to the drying affects of alcohol. A lot of the cheaper aftershaves are really high in alcohol content.

Your skin changes as you age and you might have drier skin now that reacts more to the drying affects of alcohol. A lot of the cheaper aftershaves are really high in alcohol content.

It sounds like my buying Proraso aftershave (the green one, i.e. with menthol, eucalyptus oil and alcohol denat) wasn't a waste of money after all. I actually bought a third one today, so I've definitely killed that problem.

Thanks.

It sounds like my buying Proraso aftershave (the green one, i.e. with menthol, eucalyptus oil and alcohol denat) wasn't a waste of money after all. I actually bought a third one today, so I've definitely killed that problem.

Thanks.

Enjoy, I love the product, but I find I'm reaching more for an ASB these days even in the summer. The Proraso Blue is one of my favourite balms and if you haven't tried one of their balms I highly recommend it.

Top Bottom