What's new

Is Oud a fad? Will Oud be passé soon?

I only have one oud fragrance, Midnight Oud by Juliette has a Gun. It's unlike any of my other frags, and I really enjoy the oud presence. Thus, I wear it a lot. Including today.

It is a fad. It may be with us for a little while longer.
My current favorite ouds:
- Oud Cuir d'Arabie - oud & working leather
- L'Hommage à L'Homme - safe office scent
- Jo Malone Velvet Rose & Oud Cologne - pretty synthetic oud with rose
- C for Men - my friend wore this recently and I almost bought a bottle

Even fragrances have cultural boundaries. So, in the Western market, I think it is most likely a fad and not anything that will ever be main stream.

(Who knows, though...can you imagine 1 Million having been a hit in the 80's? Tastes definitely change.)

Who woulda thunk Kouros, which I love, would still be around in 2015? Ouds add variety to one's collection, much like having a copy of a Miles Davis classic in one's rock and roll record collection. The synthetic ouds are increasingly good enough to stick around. I wore my Midnight Oud today for the second day in a row. I rarely do that with any scent (except Knize Ten).

I have a few designer house Oud scents, and a few authentic Oud attars.

Once you've tried the real thing, the synthetics are most definitely found to be lacking. 'Nice' smelling, at best, is how I would describe them.

They simply can not compare with authentic Oud.

My $0.02 of course, YMMV.

Oud oil has been around for thousands of years. The stuff that passes for "oud" in Western perfumery today bears virtually no resemblance to the real deal. There are some exceptions (like the frag I'm wearing today, Real Oud from Phoenicia Perfumes) but for the most part: no. In fact, I'm doubtful whether some frags with "oud" in their names even have the fake stuff in them! I can't smell the synthetic oud in Creed's Royal Oud, for example. That stuff smells like a scented candle to me. But hey, as long as it helps to sell the juice, "oud" will be a thing.

Last edited:
I don't even remember starting this thread.
Still have my samples. Still love the Oud.
My wife hates it though. :sad:

I don't even remember starting this thread.
Still have my samples. Still love the Oud.
My wife hates it though. :sad:

I picked up 2 attars from Ensar Oud for my Wife...and she absolutely adores them.

Pink Papua (Still available)
Blue Kalabar (No longer available)

Pink Papua smells incredibly 'green' while still in the bottle, however it opens up incredibly once on the skin...amazing stuff indeed.

Interesting...

...on a whim I just ordered their sample set, thanks for the link!

Welcome. I know the perfumer. He's a wacky guy, & incredibly talented. Curious to know your impressions once you've tried the stuff out.

Enjoy!

EDIT: If you can, order a sample of Oud Taiga as well. If you dig oud, it's well worth trying. And it's not part of the sample set.

Last edited:
I picked up 2 attars from Ensar Oud for my Wife...and she absolutely adores them.

Pink Papua (Still available)
Blue Kalabar (No longer available)

Pink Papua smells incredibly 'green' while still in the bottle, however it opens up incredibly once on the skin...amazing stuff indeed.

Big fan of Pink Papua. You're right -- it's amazing. However, I'm not a big fan of Ensar's. I think that for the most part his stuff is way overpriced.

Do you know about Agar Aura? Taha, the perfumer, is a great guy & ethical almost to a fault. Plus, he's now living in Kuala Lumpur & has a direct hand in all the distillations he's doing. He's also, imho, a much more talented perfumer than Ensar.

Big fan of Pink Papua. You're right -- it's amazing. However, I'm not a big fan of Ensar's. I think that for the most part his stuff is way overpriced.

Do you know about Agar Aura? Taha, the perfumer, is a great guy & ethical almost to a fault. Plus, he's now living in Kuala Lumpur & has a direct hand in all the distillations he's doing. He's also, imho, a much more talented perfumer than Ensar.

Taha is amazing. I can't describe him in any other way.

Welcome. I know the perfumer. He's a wacky guy, & incredibly talented. Curious to know your impressions once you've tried the stuff out.

Enjoy!

EDIT: If you can, order a sample of Oud Taiga as well. If you dig oud, it's well worth trying. And it's not part of the sample set.

That descriptor really doesn't surprise me at all given what I could glean from the site! I'll have a look for a sample of Oud Taiga.

EDIT

Sample ordered!

I do!

I was concerned when he sent out an email saying it may very well be the end of his offerings in NA due to CITES compliance, extremely happy when he announced he was green-lighted.

I have half a bottle of Agar Attar...and I see that he's currently out of stock...

:/

Last edited:
I also just ordered a sampler from Phoenicia. Looking forward to expanding my knowledge of this aging fad!

I can't stand the stuff. Arabic perfume, for me, is horrific and they splash the stuff on heavily.
That said, I don't know whats being sold as "Oud" in the west.

I can't stand the stuff. Arabic perfume, for me, is horrific and they splash the stuff on heavily.
That said, I don't know whats being sold as "Oud" in the west.

Yeah, I hear that. It's def an acquired taste -- not a traditionally "pretty" or accessible scent, esp. for Western noses. The first time they smell actual oud, most people hate it. But if you're willing to expand your own, personal definition & acceptance of "good" scents, the rewards are huge. Personally, the stinkier the stuff is, the more it trances me out.

Last edited:
I am not a big fan of those strong Ouds... comes off as bug spray to me to be honest.

Funny story...

A few years back, before going to work one morning I layered some Burmese oud (beautiful, smoky-smelling stuff) with some tincture of ambergris. About 14-15 hours later, I was in a dive bar having a drink with a friend of mine. The bar was crowded; we had each had a couple of brews.

FRIEND: <sniffing the air with a wrinkled nose & a disgusted look on his face> Whew... do you smell that? <sniff, sniff> What's that smell?

ME: (innocently) What smell? I don't smell anything.

FRIEND: <sniff, sniff> I dunno... smells like... <sniff, sniff> roach spray. You don't smell that?

ME: No, I don't. But hey, look at this place. Are you surprised?

FRIEND: <laughs> No, guess not.

:w00t:

Last edited:
Top Bottom