What's new

Is Oneblade struggling ?

Second shave with the Core today. Sort of a 1.5 day batch of stubble.

Blade I used last time couldn’t make it past my chin. Switched to a new blade and got a mediocre shave.

Upgrade kit arrives today, but I’m traveling this weekend. Taking the Core along (plus some blades of course!).

Thinking I’ll jump straight to the Genesis on Monday. We’ll see .......

Second shave with the Core today. Sort of a 1.5 day batch of stubble.

Blade I used last time couldn’t make it past my chin. Switched to a new blade and got a mediocre shave.

Upgrade kit arrives today, but I’m traveling this weekend. Taking the Core along (plus some blades of course!).

Thinking I’ll jump straight to the Genesis on Monday. We’ll see .......

Ok, this is basically my same experience with the Core... Definitely want to hear how different the Genesis feels to you when you try it out.

Third shave today .... while traveling. I’m getting better at it. Still a mediocre result, but a bit higher grade of mediocre. Frustrated by challenge of getting in there right under my nose. Wide guard makes it hard to get the blade in there.

BUT ........ pretty speedy shave. So maybe this IS a good travel razor. Fast and mediocre. Not as fast as electric, but a lot less mediocre. Hmmm ...............

Very interesting. First shave with the trial Genesis this morning. Completely different experience from Core.

First of all, the blade fit much more snugly into the head. It actually rattles around in the Core head, but is held firmly and tightly in the Genesis. This, unless there is also a geometry difference, produced a much better shave experience and result. I was actually able to get up in there under my nose.

Second, the handle was much more comfortable in my hand. Largely because it is steel and not plastic, but also because the “core” is hollow. Without the metal rod in the core of the plastic handle, my fingers were able to grip the handle much more naturally. And of course because it is not plastic, it was not slippery.

I’ll use it again tomorrow, but first impression is very positive. Completely different from Core. Still don’t understand the pivot, though. As far as I can tell, it did not engage this morning.

Very interesting. First shave with the trial Genesis this morning. Completely different experience from Core.

First of all, the blade fit much more snugly into the head. It actually rattles around in the Core head, but is held firmly and tightly in the Genesis. This, unless there is also a geometry difference, produced a much better shave experience and result. I was actually able to get up in there under my nose.

Second, the handle was much more comfortable in my hand. Largely because it is steel and not plastic, but also because the “core” is hollow. Without the metal rod in the core of the plastic handle, my fingers were able to grip the handle much more naturally. And of course because it is not plastic, it was not slippery.

I’ll use it again tomorrow, but first impression is very positive. Completely different from Core. Still don’t understand the pivot, though. As far as I can tell, it did not engage this morning.

You’ll know if the pivot engages because there will be an audible click when you take it away from your face. If you’re used to shaving with a DE you probably aren’t engaging it. It takes a pretty steep angle on the handle and a fair amount of pressure to engage it. I went from cartridges to genesis so it was very similar to me. I’ve since switched to DE and when I do use the OneBlade I have to remind myself to apply more pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Largely because it is steel and not plastic, but also because the “core” is hollow. Without the metal rod in the core of the plastic handle, my fingers were able to grip the handle much more naturally.

My Core has a metal rod inside the plastic handle, does yours not have this? Did you remove it?

My Core has a metal rod inside the plastic handle, does yours not have this? Did you remove it?

Right - that’s my point. The Core has a core, while the Genesis does not (it is hollow ..... literally a loop of steel). The one without the core feels better in my hand.

You’ll know if the pivot engages because there will be an audible click when you take it away from your face. If you’re used to shaving with a DE you probably aren’t engaging it. It takes a pretty steep angle on the handle and a fair amount of pressure to engage it. I went from cartridges to genesis so it was very similar to me. I’ve since switched to DE and when I do use the OneBlade I have to remind myself to apply more pressure.

I get that .... and I’ve tried it. I guess I just don’t see the point. Either the pivot controls the angle or my wrist does. Does this razor actually produce a better shave with more ... a lot more ..... pressure? It doesn’t seem to for me.

Right - that’s my point. The Core has a core, while the Genesis does not (it is hollow ..... literally a loop of steel). The one without the core feels better in my hand.

Oh, got it, I misunderstood. Overall I like my Core but the blade longevity and lack of options will probably keep me from trying the Hybrid or Genesis.

I get that .... and I’ve tried it. I guess I just don’t see the point. Either the pivot controls the angle or my wrist does. Does this razor actually produce a better shave with more ... a lot more ..... pressure? It doesn’t seem to for me.

I think the pivot basically makes it foolproof, meaning once engaged the head should be flat against your face at the optimal angle no matter how much you engage it. If that makes sense. As opposed to DE shaving where you have to use good technique to get the correct angle. I have used light pressure and a lot of pressure and have not had any burn, irritation or nicks.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I posted before in this thread that I had ordered a core and received it without blades. I telephoned OneBlade support and they apologized and said they would send out some blades ASAP. Well, I recieved a box with two tucks of 10 blades! Very nice...they made it right by me. Haven't shaved with it yet I'll report once I get one or two under my belt.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

So I have used my OneBlade Core a few more times. This morning I used Cremo Sandlewood cream and a fresh blade and all I will say is this is my new travel razor. I typically like to pack light which is why I use Cremo when I travel so I can leave the brush home. I whipped through a shave not even paying attention, going over the same spot several times, and just randomly going with the grain, against the grain, whatever. I got zero irritation, no knicks and DFS with 2 passes and some cleanup.

This was a complete experiment on my part to see how little time I could spend shaving so I can spend more time enjoying vacation and less time in the bathroom. Plus, sharing a bathroom with my wife and two daughters when we're in a rush to go somewhere is always a challenge. I consider it a success.

Previously I did do a second shave on a blade and I could tell it was somewhat struggling to get through my stubble but it was never uncomfortable or irritating. If there were only sharper blade options for a reasonable price this razor would be good to keep in any rotation. I am going to see how far I can go with a single blade while on vacation next week, wish me luck.

So I have used my OneBlade Core a few more times. This morning I used Cremo Sandlewood cream and a fresh blade and all I will say is this is my new travel razor. I typically like to pack light which is why I use Cremo when I travel so I can leave the brush home. I whipped through a shave not even paying attention, going over the same spot several times, and just randomly going with the grain, against the grain, whatever. I got zero irritation, no knicks and DFS with 2 passes and some cleanup.

This was a complete experiment on my part to see how little time I could spend shaving so I can spend more time enjoying vacation and less time in the bathroom. Plus, sharing a bathroom with my wife and two daughters when we're in a rush to go somewhere is always a challenge. I consider it a success.

Previously I did do a second shave on a blade and I could tell it was somewhat struggling to get through my stubble but it was never uncomfortable or irritating. If there were only sharper blade options for a reasonable price this razor would be good to keep in any rotation. I am going to see how far I can go with a single blade while on vacation next week, wish me luck.
You can use Despined Gem blades

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
You can use Despined Gem blades
Maybe and you might have to punch notches in them. OneBlade has changed the designs. In my Core and Hybrid for instance despined Gems are a not go. Nothing holds them in place. This is one reason the original version of the Genesis is sought after, it used the despined Gems just fine.

It is certainly worth trying, but I doubt if you will have success with the Gem blade.

I believe the v2 does not take despined Gems. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think clipping is more than I would do. However, maybe not. I'm snapping blades in half for my R48, so maybe this isn't futzier. But I'm more likely just to pay the freight and buy the blades meant for it.

yep i just figured it was easiest to just put up a previous reply from a thread about the oneblade that was already posted on this site concerning de-spined blades....

Top Bottom