What's new

Is Oneblade struggling ?

I haven't tried mine yet. By engaging the pivot do you mean going past the 30/45 degree angle normally suggested before you make the pass? The pivot doesn't seem to kick in very easily if I just bring it out to a 30degree angle.

From the videos I've watched, they recommend you keep the head flat against your face (which I assume puts the blade at the optimal angle). Engaging the spring mechanism by lifting the handle ensures the head is flat against your face but doesn't apply excessive pressure. Often when I lifted the razor off my face the spring would audibly snap the head back. I hope this makes sense, a bit hard to explain. Keep in mind I have only used the OneBlade once so I'm sure I'll learn more as I go.

I was pretty aggressive and quick in my shave to see if it lived up to the hype and it did. At a minimum, I could see this being my travel razor. I'll get some more time with it this week. I really hope OneBlade rethinks it's blade strategy because I think they have the start of something good here.

I was pretty aggressive and quick in my shave to see if it lived up to the hype and it did. At a minimum, I could see this being my travel razor. I'll get some more time with it this week. I really hope OneBlade rethinks it's blade strategy because I think they have the start of something good here.

Purchased the sale version of the Core last week. Shaved with it a couple times already. More this week. Same mindset, thinking travel razor...for me it's mindless shaver, with little worry about nicks, weepers, irritation, etc.

I don't know if I've ever come across a more outrageous rip-off than OneBlade.
Asking $50 for a cheap plastic razor made in China?
Even on sale for $20 they're making an obscene profit.
These things probably cost less than a dollar each to manufacture in the exploitative, smog-infested hellscapes of communist China.
Ship them half way round the world by freighter and you've got a carbon footprint as large as Bigfoot.
Add to that the fact that they cynically designed the thing to accept the only remaining unique, proprietary blade on the planet (the Feather Auto-strop retrofit blade), and you have a monopolistic coup d' état!
The unique "HAINE" cut-out of the Feather line takes us right back to the proprietary blade wars of the 1920's and 30's, if anyone's nostalgic for that...

So, if you're is still wondering why they switched from the generic GEM design to Feather's exclusive blade, wonder no more. Also, I suppose the fact that Feathers only yield 2-3 paltry shaves per blade might have been yet another incentive for them to switch...I mean, if I were the suspicious type.

To add insult to injury, they're demanding nearly a dollar per blade ($29 without shipping), and you have to buy 30 at a time to qualify for that "bargain!" If you subscribe, they're $22.19 plus shipping, but still...
Savvy shoppers know you can get these 10-pack blades elsewhere for less, $8.50 at Fendrihan, $7.00 at Maggard; or that you can substitute FAS-10 blades, which are only $4.75 for a 10-pack at Fendrihan, but how many OneBlade owners actually shop around for their blades, especially when they offer a convenient subscription service?

How the razors actually shave is another matter entirely.
I've no experience with them, but I cannot believe they somehow trump all of the other myriad designs and blades that have come out in the past one-hundred years!
Certainly they look the business...but so did Sharper Image products, and at the end of the day, they were just Chinese junk underneath those slick designs.

[my apologies (and sympathies) to all those who are just pleased as punch with their OneBlades]

Last edited:
These things probably cost less than a dollar each to manufacture in the exploitative, smog-infested hellscapes of communist China.
Ship them half way round the world by freighter and you've got a carbon footprint as large as Bigfoot.
Add to that the fact that they cynically designed the thing to accept the only remaining unique, proprietary blade on the planet (the Feather Auto-strop retrofit blade), and you have a monopolistic coup d' état!
The unique "HAINE" cut-out of the Feather line takes us right back to the proprietary blade wars of the 1920's and 30's, if anyone's nostalgic for that...
So, if you're is still wondering why they switched from the generic GEM design to Feather's exclusive blade, wonder no more. Also, I suppose the fact that Feathers only yield 2-3 paltry shaves per blade might have been yet another incentive for them to switch...I mean, if I were the suspicious type.
To add insult to injury, they're demanding nearly a dollar per blade ($29 without shipping), and you have to buy 30 at a time to qualify for that "bargain!" If you subscribe, they're $22.19 plus shipping, but still...
Savvy shoppers know you can get these 10-pack blades elsewhere for less, $8.50 at Fendrihan, $7.00 at Maggard; or that you can substitute FAS-10 blades, which are only $4.75 for a 10-pack at Fendrihan, but how many OneBlade owners actually shop around for their blades, especially when they offer a convenient subscription service?
How the razors actually shave is another matter.
I've no experience with them, but I cannot believe they somehow trump all of the other myriad designs and blades that have come out in the past one-hundred years!
Certainly they look the business...but so did Sharper Image products, and at the end of the day, they were just Chinese junk underneath those slick designs.

For someone that doesn't have one you sure are upset. What makes this razor any different than all the DE razors made for $1 in China and sold for $15, $20, $40? How about the DE's selling for $100+? Based on my limited use the only downside is no blade choice but I knew that going in and I'm not crying about it.

For someone that doesn't have one you sure are upset. What makes this razor any different than all the DE razors made for $1 in China and sold for $15, $20, $40? How about the DE's selling for $100+? Based on my limited use the only downside is no blade choice but I knew that going in and I'm not crying about it.
You, sir, are absolutely right!
OneBlade isn't the only audacious rip-off in the current shaving market...it's just the one I happen to be writing about to-day.
And upset? You got me there, too. Outraged, more like it.
The only way I could be more upset is if I'd actually bought one.
I'm simply viewing the product from a value perspective, and since they restrict the user to a proprietary blade, that necessarily figures into the analysis.
I'm certain that if they could have got an exclusive distribution deal on the Feathers, they would have, simply to completely control the supply. Then what would the blades have cost?
They couldn't get an exclusive, in part because the blades serve the Auto-strop market as well.
As I pointed out, most users probably don't even know they can get the blades anywhere else, and I'm sure that's just how OneBlade likes it. In fact, when asked, point-blank, if their blades were proprietary, they simply evaded the question by stating that the blades are manufactured by Feather.
You're right to note that an over-priced razor is not unique...but what is unique however, is attempting to recreate the Gillette blade monopoly of the early 1900's!

How the razors actually shave is another matter entirely.

[my apologies (and sympathies) to all those who are just pleased as punch with their OneBlades]
So if you have no experience with them, how can you be so mad at the idea of a modified head to protect their interest that went into the R&D behind a razor ?

So if you have no experience with them, how can you be so mad at the idea of a modified head to protect their interest that went into the R&D behind a razor ?
That they tweaked this for V2 is telling. It can understandably be seen a predatory practice, and thus not surprising that some will be outraged. The company will have known that this is one particular outcome of the redesign, so I also think no need for anyone to defend their practices. It will be interesting to see whether the market proves them right or wrong.

Last edited:
I think he is talking a

That they tweaked this for V2 is telling. It can understandably be seen a predatory practice, and thus not surprising that some will be outraged. The company will have known that this is one particular outcome of the redesign, so I also think no need for anyone to defend their practices. It will be interesting to see whether the market proves them right or wrong.
Pharmaceuticals do this same concept all the time. They spend on Research & Development and charge people a crazy amount for the drug. I mean hey if they thought to do it, they can charge on blades. Gillette did it for YEARS and people circle jerk for their razors on the forums.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I used my Core today. Great shave. Even at twice the cost. Then I started my SUV that I commute to work in (hov lane, by myself, just pay the extra) to warm up and while waiting burnt up some plastic packaging in the back yard.

@razorboi By way of comparison I’m sure all of the Yaqi (gotta collect ‘em all) brush owners have done far more to “mother” than all of the OneBlade users. So maybe consider putting a yellow stream on their cornflakes.

Pharmaceuticals do this same concept all the time. They spend on Research & Development and charge people a crazy amount for the drug. I mean hey if they thought to do it, they can charge on blades. Gillette did it for YEARS and people circle jerk for their razors on the forums.
Gillette’s pricing practices are a big reason why I switched to wet shaving and don’t buy Gillette, even their blades.

Ok but for what it’s worth , this wasn’t intended to be a let’s poo on Oneblade thread when I posted it.

I used my Core today. Great shave. Even at twice the cost. Then I started my SUV that I commute to work in (hov lane, by myself, just pay the extra) to warm up and while waiting burnt up some plastic packaging in the back yard.

@razorboi By way of comparison I’m sure all of the Yaqi (gotta collect ‘em all) brush owners have done far more to “mother” than all of the OneBlade users. So maybe consider putting a yellow stream on their cornflakes.
i thought it was wheaties.

Ok but for what it’s worth , this wasn’t intended to be a let’s poo on Oneblade thread when I posted it.
I personally have nothing against the company. I was just pointing out that if some people feel negatively about their design choices and interpret it as a money grab, it might play into their current business situation, which is purely speculative on our part anyway.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Holy geez... a whole lotta salt in here!
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

First shave with my Core today. Stirling Gin & Tonic, Shavemac D01 Flattop, and some other stuff. 4 passes (W-,X-,X-,ATG).

Glad I only paid $20.

While I kind of like the weight and balance, the smooth slippery plastic handle was ....... well ....... slippery. And the handle shape felt odd in my hand.

At first, I tried to forcefully engage the pivot ..... but that didn’t really work very well. So I just started seeking the right effect and things got better. I think the pivot then engaged when it needed to. I just focused on keeping the blade engaged with my beard.

I agree with those who have said it would be hard to cut or nick yourself with this razor. In my case that was true for two reasons:
1 - head geometry
2- dull blade

The FHS-10 had enough trouble cutting my whiskers that it was unlikely to cut me. Wow ..... what a disappointing blade. For me, it was just one step above the really crummy blades I’ve tried that didn’t make it through one pass.
Overall, pretty ineffective razor/blade combo. Four passes produced a 1.5 pass result. At least there was no irritation.

I might agree with others who have said it could be a dedicated travel razor ......... but that might make me start avoiding travel. Maybe helpful for someone transitioning from cartridge to DE, but I’m not sure it is really on a path toward DE ........... seems more like it is on its own path to somewhere else.

My Hybrid/Genesis trial box will be here in a couple of days ........ but I’m regretting paying the $8 for shipping.

I’ll stick with it for a few more days ...... maybe a week or two if I feel like trying the other two ........... but right now, I’m thinking this one is not for me.

First shave with my Core today. Stirling Gin & Tonic, Shavemac D01 Flattop, and some other stuff. 4 passes (W-,X-,X-,ATG).

Glad I only paid $20.

While I kind of like the weight and balance, the smooth slippery plastic handle was ....... well ....... slippery. And the handle shape felt odd in my hand.

At first, I tried to forcefully engage the pivot ..... but that didn’t really work very well. So I just started seeking the right effect and things got better. I think the pivot then engaged when it needed to. I just focused on keeping the blade engaged with my beard.

I agree with those who have said it would be hard to cut or nick yourself with this razor. In my case that was true for two reasons:
1 - head geometry
2- dull blade

The FHS-10 had enough trouble cutting my whiskers that it was unlikely to cut me. Wow ..... what a disappointing blade. For me, it was just one step above the really crummy blades I’ve tried that didn’t make it through one pass.
Overall, pretty ineffective razor/blade combo. Four passes produced a 1.5 pass result. At least there was no irritation.

I might agree with others who have said it could be a dedicated travel razor ......... but that might make me start avoiding travel. Maybe helpful for someone transitioning from cartridge to DE, but I’m not sure it is really on a path toward DE ........... seems more like it is on its own path to somewhere else.

My Hybrid/Genesis trial box will be here in a couple of days ........ but I’m regretting paying the $8 for shipping.

I’ll stick with it for a few more days ...... maybe a week or two if I feel like trying the other two ........... but right now, I’m thinking this one is not for me.

This is very similar to the experience I had with the Core... I'll be interested to see if you feel like the Hybrid/Genesis is any different

brandaves

I received mine in the mail today and was excited to try it out but when I opened the box there were no blades! I tried calling customer support with no answer so I left a message and followed up with an email. We'll see what comes of it, for now I have a nice new razor that I can't use...

brandaves

I received mine in the mail today and was excited to try it out but when I opened the box there were no blades! I tried calling customer support with no answer so I left a message and followed up with an email. We'll see what comes of it, for now I have a nice new razor that I can't use...

***Update***

Got a call back from OneBlade support and blades are on the way. No big deal, just a few more days wait to try it out.

Top Bottom