What's new

Is Oneblade struggling ?

I got mine today. 19.99 and free shipping with 10 blades. I dont even know how much I will be using it as I have had such an easy time with the other one blade...the Philips One Blade. I forgot what irritation and razor burn even were. Maybe this will get me back into manual shaving.

With the blade prices they could likely give away the razors and make their profits solely off of the blades. Getting more razors out there by lowering the price likely serves this purpose. So I'm not sure if it's a sign that they're struggling or a marketing technique to sell more blades. Blades will be the sustainable long term income for them.

Personally I'd rather pay more for the razor and have blades that are more competitively priced. More in line with de blade prices.

I got mine today. 19.99 and free shipping with 10 blades. I dont even know how much I will be using it as I have had such an easy time with the other one blade...the Philips One Blade. I forgot what irritation and razor burn even were. Maybe this will get me back into manual shaving.
Doesn’t that shave dry? I’ve looked into it. Do you like it?

I took the 19.99 option, too. It arrived yesterday.

And after I ordered it, they sent me an email offering to send the Hybrid and Genesis out for a 14-day trial. $8 to cover shipping to me and back. Then $79 off one if I buy one. 🤷‍♂️

We’ll see.

And after I ordered it, they sent me an email offering to send the Hybrid and Genesis out for a 14-day trial. $8 to cover shipping to me and back. Then $79 off one if I buy one. [emoji2369]

We’ll see.
That's how a company kills the secondary market... Owners won't be able to sell them at a logical price...

We're talking about a massive depreciation.

And after I ordered it, they sent me an email offering to send the Hybrid and Genesis out for a 14-day trial. $8 to cover shipping to me and back. Then $79 off one if I buy one. 🤷‍♂️

We’ll see.
Really ? I didn’t get that at all. Can you forward me if I messaged you my personal email?

With the blade prices they could likely give away the razors and make their profits solely off of the blades. Getting more razors out there by lowering the price likely serves this purpose. So I'm not sure if it's a sign that they're struggling or a marketing technique to sell more blades. Blades will be the sustainable long term income for them.

Personally I'd rather pay more for the razor and have blades that are more competitively priced. More in line with de blade prices.

I agree . Alot of places sell a starter item like the razor for almost nothing because they know they will make their money back on blades... Honestly it is actually a smart idea. I mean i read a biography by Ross Perot one time and in it he said early on when he was still with IBM he went to his bosses with an idea saying that they needed to look at doing more with software and less with the initial hardware because after you have the initial hardware you dont need to buy it as often so there is less money there and his bosses laughed at him. So Ross borrowed 1k or 1.5 k from his wifes teaching savings and started his company which became worth a fortune and then he said one night while lying in bed with his wife she asked him why if she gave him the start up money for his billion dollar company why would he get half if they ever divorced and he said in his book he thinks he was the only guy who ever enjoyed explaining community property to his wife.... Well long story short you make your money in repeat business and not in the initial product. They could give a razor away with the purchase of a pack of blades and still be profitable because they know you will buy more blades.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Well long story short you make your money in repeat business and not in the initial product. They could give a razor away with the purchase of a pack of blades and still be profitable because they know you will buy more blades.

Printer ink, All the shave clubs, Quip toothbrush, the list is long. But I think where OneBlade is concerned a lot of the folks that own it are going to buy blades from other retailers for the same price as the subscription. Most of us don't like subscriptions and tend to order shaving stuff with regularity so adding some blades occasionally is no big deal. So unless OneBlade is supplying those to the vendors, they don't get a cut.

Now if they made razors AND the blades, then they'd have a proven model.

I think the razors are good and the pivot on this type of razor is good. Not everyone's cup of tea, but then an R41 with a Feather and the diligence of a brain surgeon is not everyone's cup of tea either.

Printer ink, All the shave clubs, Quip toothbrush, the list is long. But I think where OneBlade is concerned a lot of the folks that own it are going to buy blades from other retailers for the same price as the subscription. Most of us don't like subscriptions and tend to order shaving stuff with regularity so adding some blades occasionally is no big deal. So unless OneBlade is supplying those to the vendors, they don't get a cut.

Now if they made razors AND the blades, then they'd have a proven model.

I think the razors are good and the pivot on this type of razor is good. Not everyone's cup of tea, but then an R41 with a Feather and the diligence of a brain surgeon is not everyone's cup of tea either.

I don't think it's even the subscription model that's the problem. At a buck apiece for a bit of sharpened metal that's only good for one or two uses, this might be the most expensive do-it-yourself shave on the planet. Fusions aren't even half that much per shave. If the blades lasted as long as a decent quality PPI DE blade I could almost see the argument but as it is that's just completely out of bounds.

$400 for their best handle and a dollar per shave. For that price I'd better get more services than just a shave. Who is the market for these things? Arabian oil tycoons?

TBH I agree its a crazy price to pay for blades but when they ( one blade) worked out their agreement with feather for the blades they could have gotten a percentage of the blades sold period whether its by them for their razor or sold directly by feather to other retailers even if it was a penny or nickle per blade sold by feather. we dont know the deal they( one blade) worked out with feather

I used cartridge Gillette razors for most of my adult working life. Always had terrible razor burn and ingrown hair problems. Finally switched to DE razors of various types and shaves were better but not trouble free. Now with the huge assortment of blades available there should be one for everyone? More time, more care required, more fuss and more weepers and blood but far less ingrown in my case. DOn't be quick as some skill is required. Tried Schick SE razor and blades and they are not for me! Like raking a blade across my face. Bought a core razor and shaving became simple, then a Genesis V1 which easily takes Gem SE blades with spine removed. 3 shaves with Feather blade, 5 shaves with Gem. But, the Feather blade is so sharp that that first shave is so easy. I currently have a Hybrid now with the big sale price and the half price new stand. I keep both on my sink. One with a Feather blade and the other with a destined Gem blade. Nothing I could ever use is closer or easier for me to use than the One blade razor. I like them the best. That's my story and my opinion. We all have them. YMMV but I think the One blade razor is a huge leap in wet shaving technology/ IF they are struggling with their high prices, so be it. THE blade issue is a non issue with me. I do to pay retail price for my Feather SE blades. I buy on sale or with a discount coupon. I figure 20 cents per shave with the Feather blade and far, far less with a despined Gem SE blade. I don't understand the hateful sneering and snotty comments over the success or failure of any company. IF you don't like the price or the product don't buy it. Not everyone in this world is a cheap SOB naysayer! Don't like, don't buy, don't use.

I used cartridge Gillette razors for most of my adult working life. Always had terrible razor burn and ingrown hair problems. Finally switched to DE razors of various types and shaves were better but not trouble free. Now with the huge assortment of blades available there should be one for everyone? More time, more care required, more fuss and more weepers and blood but far less ingrown in my case. DOn't be quick as some skill is required. Tried Schick SE razor and blades and they are not for me! Like raking a blade across my face. Bought a core razor and shaving became simple, then a Genesis V1 which easily takes Gem SE blades with spine removed. 3 shaves with Feather blade, 5 shaves with Gem. But, the Feather blade is so sharp that that first shave is so easy. I currently have a Hybrid now with the big sale price and the half price new stand. I keep both on my sink. One with a Feather blade and the other with a destined Gem blade. Nothing I could ever use is closer or easier for me to use than the One blade razor. I like them the best. That's my story and my opinion. We all have them. YMMV but I think the One blade razor is a huge leap in wet shaving technology/ IF they are struggling with their high prices, so be it. THE blade issue is a non issue with me. I do to pay retail price for my Feather SE blades. I buy on sale or with a discount coupon. I figure 20 cents per shave with the Feather blade and far, far less with a despined Gem SE blade. I don't understand the hateful sneering and snotty comments over the success or failure of any company. IF you don't like the price or the product don't buy it. Not everyone in this world is a cheap SOB naysayer! Don't like, don't buy, don't use.

👍

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
$400 for their best handle and a dollar per shave. For that price I'd better get more services than just a shave. Who is the market for these things?

Right now their cheapest handle is $20 and comes with 10 blades. The Hybrid handle is much less than $400 and the head is the same as the Genesis head, so shaves exactly the same.

Who is the market for these things?

Folks that value a good shave over the cost to get it. Many spend far more per year on artisan soaps than the blades cost. Also many who have this razor use it with others, so they aren't using expensive blades every day. People that keep a measure their soap consumption per shave, shaves per blade and tabulate the cost of a shave in their spreadsheet probably don't like the OneBlade line up. Those who find it works better than other razors, have no issue with it.

Not a fan of the blades. They dull way too fast. I've only used them in my Autostrop, because I don't have a One Blade, but the blade is the same.

Personally, I also don't want a razor head that pivots, but that's just me. I love open blade shaving, so I know I'm not representative of any group of shavers targeted by any commercial company. There just aren't enough of us.

But the AC blades are so much better than the Feather FHS blade it's not even funny. Schick Proline for this evening's shave. Such a great blade; sharper, smoother, cheaper, and lasts longer, too.

Folks that value a good shave over the cost to get it.

So what happens when I can get a good shave for 3% of that cost? Should I feel that a trivial improvement at 30 times the price represents a worthwhile return on investment, or might I be better off doing something more productive with that money? Could I identify that their marketing is designed to sell a lifestyle rather than a shave, and that more of the desire thus generated for their product is psychological rather than practical? Could I determine that a business gaining exclusive rights to a previously existing product to raise the price disagrees with my sense of ethical business practices, while any number of artisan razor vendors are making quality products at lower prices using industry standard blades?

I'm the last person to tell anyone else what to use but if these guys don't succeed in the market my give-a-crap will remain firmly pegged at zero.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
So what happens when I can get a good shave for 3% of that cost?
Then jump up and down and pat yourself on the back. Some have stated that they cannot and are willing to spend to get what they want. Everyone should feel whatever they feel. Most marketing of any higher end product sells a lifestyle. Those ads might convince someone to buy, but OneBlade offers a trial period. If the razor didn't live up to an individual's expectations they can send it right back for a full refund.

IF you don't like the price or the product don't buy it. Not everyone in this world is a cheap SOB naysayer! Don't like, don't buy, don't use.

Simple, no?

I jumped on the $19.99 deal and received mine yesterday and all I can say is WOW! It was a great and effortless shave. The best part was under my jawline which I regularly have trouble with a DE and sometimes get a slight burn. I was pretty aggressive with the OneBlade after watching a few videos while I waited for it to arrive. No nicks, cuts or burn at all. I think the key is making sure you engage the pivot on each pass to make sure the head is flat against your skin. I did get some slight tugging but not sure if that was the blade or my technique. BTW, I used Proraso Green.

Now blade cost, that's another story. After a quick search, I see you can get them for about $0.50/blade if you buy in bulk which is obviously a lot. How is it Feather DE blades can be had for <$0.25/blade and last longer? I will see how many shaves I can get but I see most folks saying 2-3 with a few saying they can get up to 5. Keep in mind with a regular DE blade you may be able to get 5 shaves out of it but with OneBlade you have half the blade surface so 2-3 shaves makes sense, it's the cost that doesn't.

Also, I received the try 3 for 14 days and get $79 off. However, right now I am pleasantly surprised at the feel and quality of the OneBlade Core. If they could just get a handle on the blade pricing this would be a great razor. I most likely will at least use it once in a while or as a dedicated travel razor

Top Bottom