What's new

Is Omega seen as the ugly red headed step child of badger shaving brushes?

The boars get the love but what about the badgers?

I ask this because I've had 3 Omegas and they've been damn solid brushes.

1 pure badger (sold), 1 silvertip (a floppyish cream brush but only $60.00) and one synthetic that is my travel brush.

They've all had good looking handles, solid build quality, zero shedding, a lot of bang for the buck...so where's the love?

When I started, I couldn't understand why people would pay $75+ for a shaving brush. So for my first brush I got an Omega Stripey Pure. It got decent reviews on Amazon, but what a waste of $30. Not only did I have trouble making a good lather, but it was way too floppy. 6 weeks in I got a Rooney 3/1 Super, and I then understood why some cost more than others. The Omega was PIF'd and the Rooney became my only brush for over a year until I caught Simpson fever.

I have two Omega Silvertips, and both are lather monsters. Lush, soft, wonderful brush. Recommended.

-- John Gehman

I have several Omega boars. My 31064 is my favorite, followed by a Semogue SOC boar, and 1305. If I had to keep one, it would probably be the 31064.

Jeff

My dad has a synthetic that he calls 'good but not great', at least according to my mom.

A Simpson it is for Father's Day!

I have a silvertip and I like it very much. It's not as dense / firm as other brushes but has very soft tips and feels great on the face. It lathers everything I throw at it, soft soaps, hard sopas, creams, you name it. I feel it has the same type of hair as the Kent brushes, in fact my brush feels like a Kent BK4 with a shorter loft.

My first boar was an omega silver handled brush. It broke in well and i loved it . I have another gold beehive that i still have packaged so i think the omega brushes will always be in my whisker whacker arsenal.

That's a good question.
Omega makes some good brushes, a few people have said that.
But why when we talk about badger brushes do we not mention Omega that often (if ever)?

I don't know. Maybe I need one to find out!

I have a silvertip and I like it very much. It's not as dense / firm as other brushes but has very soft tips and feels great on the face. It lathers everything I throw at it, soft soaps, hard sopas, creams, you name it. I feel it has the same type of hair as the Kent brushes, in fact my brush feels like a Kent BK4 with a shorter loft.

Mine is the same way. I've had no problems geting even MWF to lather with it.

My dad has a synthetic that he calls 'good but not great', at least according to my mom.

A Simpson it is for Father's Day!

Indaco - Synthetics are odd feeling but they are great on the road.

When I started, I couldn't understand why people would pay $75+ for a shaving brush. So for my first brush I got an Omega Stripey Pure. It got decent reviews on Amazon, but what a waste of $30. Not only did I have trouble making a good lather, but it was way too floppy. 6 weeks in I got a Rooney 3/1 Super, and I then understood why some cost more than others. The Omega was PIF'd and the Rooney became my only brush for over a year until I caught Simpson fever.

njpaddy - My Omega pure was also a Stripey and it was quite scrubby. Maybe inconsistency is an issue.

while i have never tried an omega badger my cheatskate side of me questions the only 60$ part of that quotient. thats a lot of brush in the tgn world.

Ian

My first brush was an Omega badger, red top, clear bottom...pure grade...very scritchy but was the only brush I had and it provided me with years of honest service. As far as I'm concerned, they are a no-frills, hard-working and well-priced option...

They make some really cool handles, and I've used their boars, but never their badger. I hadn't even looked at their badgers. From what I gather reading what others have said, they are an option for a starter brush probably not your go to brush. I have been tempted to buy some of their brushes just for the handle and put my knot of choice in it.

I used to be of the opinion that a badger brush was a badger brush and people were foolish for paying $100 for one. Then I tried a Simpsons and saw that they were right. There is a difference.

I bought my first Omega boar from my barber-I thought it was terribly expensive for the quality/boar etc.-until I found BandB and other sources of Omegas and realized that my barber's markup was outrageous. For the real world prices I think Omegas are very good brushes although I prefer Semogue boars overall.

Top Bottom