What's new

Is Old Spice any good

Well is it? I quite like the scent and it is on special for £5 a bottle at Sainsburys. Is this sort of aftershave any good for my skin?

It's a classic that has stood the test of time. I don't believe it's any more than alcohol, water, and fragrance but plenty of people use it with no problem. But it's not on the level of a "good for your skin" aftershave like Musgo Real or Speick. At 5 pounds I say why not give it a shot?

It'll burn though!

There's a thread somewhere around here discussing the differences in OS of today and OS of yesteryear. Shulton made the original OS before Proctor and Gamble bought them out and changed the formula. There is a distinct difference between the formulas. I've heard some say you can still find the original formula on eBay from time to time.

There's a thread somewhere around here discussing the differences in OS of today and OS of yesteryear. Shulton made the original OS before Proctor and Gamble bought them out and changed the formula. There is a distinct difference between the formulas. I've heard some say you can still find the original formula on eBay from time to time.

Here we go.

Whether the formula and/or scent was changed is a matter of debate. Many on here feel certain that it was changed, and it has been repeated so often it has become accepted as fact (as we see here). It is not a fact. P&G has responded to the question numerous times, explaining that the formula and the scent is the same, that they have not changed anything other than the packaging. According to their tests, the change in packaging did not affect the scent.

By all means, believe what you will and use what you like; make up your own mind. Personally, I love the current version of Old Spice, and it smells just like I remember the Old Spice I used many years ago. Furthermore, while it is alcohol based, it leaves my skin feeling smooth with no drying effect.

Here we go.

Whether the formula and/or scent was changed is a matter of debate. Many on here feel certain that it was changed, and it has been repeated so often it has become accepted as fact (as we see here). It is not a fact. P&G has responded to the question numerous times, explaining that the formula and the scent is the same, that they have not changed anything other than the packaging. According to their tests, the change in packaging did not affect the scent.

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, ol' boy. From the countless posts I've read on the subject, I thought there was some type of consensus on the matter. Apparently there are two different camps feuding about subject at hand.

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, ol' boy. From the countless posts I've read on the subject, I thought there was some type of consensus on the matter. Apparently there are two different camps feuding about subject at hand.

No problem! I always thought, just like you, that the formula had been changed based on the "consensus" on here. It never occurred to me to question it; I assumed it to be a part of the historical record, like my birthday or the sinking of the Titanic. Then one day I purchased a bottle of OS Aftershave, and expecting something different, thought it smelled like the Old Spice from my youth. Curious, I asked some questions on this forum, and got some conflicting answers, all based on opinion; nothing official, no dates or confirmation. It was clear that nobody really knew for sure; yet the overriding opinion that there had been a change was repeated so often and with such authority that new members simply accepted it (just like you and me).

Maybe there was a change; many others certainly have a more refined sense of smell than I do. But just in case it's of any importance to anybody, especially new members, I figure they deserve to know the truth; that the matter is not settled as it would seem.

Old Spice is definitely a classic. I grew up with my father using it and have good associations. If you enjoy the scent, then use it. I always keep some around, though Clubman has supplanted Old Spice to some extent for me.

Over the years, Old Spice has produced a variety of other related fragrances that either drew on the basic formula of Old Spice with some differences (Lime) or offered something different (Leather). Most of these have been discontinued and there are some new ones in production. If you like the scent of Old Spice, you should give Old Spice Lime a shot--you can find Indian-made Shulton on line.

The question of whether or not it's good for your skin is more complicated. Certainly an alcohol splash will do whatever disinfecting that a splash can do. I think that there's some castor oil in there too. But the bottom line is that it feels good going on and it smells great. Whether you are using a vintage bottle that you found in your grandfather's medicine cabinet, a new one that you just bought at the supermarket, or a knockoff that you picked up at the Dollar Store, you'll get that.

Well is it? I quite like the scent and it is on special for £5 a bottle at Sainsburys. Is this sort of aftershave any good for my skin?

£4.89 in Wilko :001_smile

The scent's not outrageous, and in combination with a Palmolive shavestick, leaves the skin feeling soft but not sticky after multiple passes with my R41.

I think that at a fiver I will give it a whirl.

That was pretty much my thought when I first got (the new) Old Spice. It's close enough to what I remember my Dad wearing and Mrs Pumpkin likes it too! :thumbup:

I use generic Witch Hazel (from Boots) straight after my shave, clean up the bathroom and then apply a splash of OS, if I've got the odd weeper or nick I do get a slight sting from the alcohol...but it's not harsh and doesn't last long.

I work outside (rain or shine) and haven't had any problems with dryness. The fragrance lasts pretty well.

Overall, I'm happy with the results and it's still my one and only AS :thumbup1:

I think that at a fiver I will give it a whirl.

Hard to go wrong. I bought a bottle the other day to give it a shot (I used to wear the OS deodorant in high school, and I liked the scent then).

My OS box says: Denatured Alcohol (probably SD 40), Water, Propylene Glycol, Fragrance, Benzyl Alcohol.

The denatured alcohol is the base for any splash, and what gives it the burn (it's also does the skin toning). Water and fragrance are self-explanatory. Propylene Glycol is a non-toxic anti-freeze that also happens to be a cheap moisturizer. It's not bad for you, but it isn't a particularly good moisturizer--glycerol is better. The Benzyl Alcohol evaporates quickly and is an anti-itch agent, so it should sooth the skin a bit. So nothing horrible or evil. Just a good smelling, inexpensive drug-store aftershave.

A fiver well spent (my bottle was $10, and I'm pretty happy with the purchase, in fact, I'm enjoying it right now).

SOTN:

Shower with Old Spice Classic Scent Bodywash

Ball End Tech, Shark Super Chrome, Tweezerman Brush

Prairie Creations Old Spice Type Shaving Soap

Vintage Old Spice Aftershave

Vintage Old Spice Shave Talc

Old Spice Classic Cologne, P&G production

Vintage Old Spice Body Talc

Old Spice works pretty good for me. :lol:

SOTN:

Shower with Old Spice Classic Scent Bodywash

Ball End Tech, Shark Super Chrome, Tweezerman Brush