What's new

Is Old Spice any good

After reading this thread I've decided to finally give this classic AS a try. So I head down to our 24hr Indian supermarket after work today but I was quite surprised that they only have the P&G stuff. I bought it anyway of course(along with some other wetshaving stuff) but now I wanna know what the original formula smells like. Anybody knows where I can get the Indian Old Spice? :blushing:

That was pretty much my thought when I first got (the new) Old Spice. It's close enough to what I remember my Dad wearing and Mrs Pumpkin likes it too! :thumbup:

I use generic Witch Hazel (from Boots) straight after my shave, clean up the bathroom and then apply a splash of OS, if I've got the odd weeper or nick I do get a slight sting from the alcohol...but it's not harsh and doesn't last long.

I work outside (rain or shine) and haven't had any problems with dryness. The fragrance lasts pretty well.

Overall, I'm happy with the results and it's still my one and only AS :thumbup1:

I use Boots witch hazel too and like you normally have a splash of AS after I have cleaned up. My current smell of the 70s is Brut, which is running low, so OS is going to be my replacement smell of yesteryear.

I've tried both "old" and "new" OS as well as the new cheaper knockoffs. They're okay but none of them do much for me. Their Smooth Blast, however, is very nice.

Then there's the now extinct OS Leather. That's something that someone would do very well to duplicate today. It's some fine stuff there and I'm now stocked up for awhile.

SOTN:

Shower with Old Spice Classic Scent Bodywash

Ball End Tech, Shark Super Chrome, Tweezerman Brush

Prairie Creations Old Spice Type Shaving Soap

Vintage Old Spice Aftershave

Vintage Old Spice Shave Talc

Old Spice Classic Cologne, P&G production

Vintage Old Spice Body Talc

Old Spice works pretty good for me. :lol:

:ouch1::ouch1::ouch1:

I've thought about getting the classic deodorant, but the truth is, I don't use the stuff. Never had an issue with body odor as long as I bathe regularly.

My two young male offspring are both little stinkers...must be a body chemistry thing.

I have a bottle of each scent on it's way from India, should be here this week. I was interested in the Lime and Musk was the scent of my very first deodorant. I've tried a bunch of other scents but keep come back to Old Spice, it's my favorite and it's my wife's favorite, that's all I need to know to know it's the only scent I need.

Is Old Spice any good?

Only the P&G stuff is good. If you find any of that despicable Shulton formula crap you'd be doing the right thing and send it to me to dispose of. Terrible it is I swear....
:devil:

I use Boots witch hazel too and like you normally have a splash of AS after I have cleaned up. My current smell of the 70s is Brut, which is running low, so OS is going to be my replacement smell of yesteryear.

Besides, which other aftershave will give you the opportunity to say, "I'm a man, I'm not your man, but I'm a man your man could smell like"? Be sure to practice in the mirror to get the flippant arrogance just right.

(What? Of course I've been practicing. No, I haven't been able to use the line yet. Yet. :w00t:)

About the whole vintage vs. current OS debate -

It's worth noting that sometimes a scent smells depending on what container it's in. Case in point: the Egyptian sand crockery bottles of yesteryear were little beauties all of their own, and seemed to hold the fragrance quite well. I recently sold a set of Shulton OS aftershave & cologne in those bottles and the guy who bought them was in his 60s and claimed they brought him right back to his youth. He said the new stuff is nowhere close to the same product.

He may or may not be correct: figuring how the current formulation is sold in plastic bottles, it may be the exact same juice that is having a slight reaction to its plastic surroundings . . . not enough to actually damage the scent in any particular way, or denigrate the quality of the item, but just enough to add an "off" note that can sway the smell's whole balance. Or, it could have been tweaked a bit by its new manufacturers to accommodate plastic better. They can get away with a technicality on this: the fragrance itself may not have been changed, but the non-fragrance related ingredients in OS could have been altered in such a way as to render the smell slightly different by a simple matter of chemistry.

In either case, it's a fact of life: things change. but that doesn't mean they should!

Top Bottom