What's new

Is Nivea the best balm for the money?

Nivea is easy to find, inexpensive even at its everyday price, even cheaper when it's on sale or when you catch one of their $2.00-off coupons in the paper, and it works as good as anything I've found so far. I consider it the best for the price.

I just tryied the Aqua Velva 5 in 1 Balm. I like it alot. This was my first balms. I don't think that the balm offer any advantage over a good splash. The Proraso Green splash is probably better on the skin.
MM879

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I just tryied the Aqua Velva 5 in 1 Balm. I like it alot. This was my first balms. I don't think that the balm offer any advantage over a good splash. The Proraso Green splash is probably better on the skin.
MM879

I think the soap you use, and the residual feel from it, also affect whether balm or lotion/splash would be best. After today's shave, there was a very slight tackiness on the skin from the oils in the soap, which only lasted a few minutes. Loading balm on top of that would have been a mistake. On other days (same soap), my skin can feel drier, and balm is a very welcome addition.

Nivea is the best value and is available everywhere so I always keep a bottle of it handy. It is also a great pre-shave. If you're looking to be more adventurous, try a balm sampler pack from a shaving vendor. Speick balm is popular but expensive. Every Man Jack is a good value if you need more moisturizing from a thicker balm. Or if you have a favorite soap/cream there may be a matching balm available.

I currently have Trumper lime skin food and Biotique wild grass gel in the rotation, and an unopened bottle of La Toja balm that I'll try soon. I'm contemplating getting Pre de Provence #63 balm since I like their soap and have the matching EdT scent.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I love Nivea sensitive balm, always have a bottle on hand and it is my go to on the road while traveling

I've have several balms on hand including Nivea sensitive, AoS Sandalwood and Proraso green, but I've had compliments on the scent when using Nivea. By far the cheapest of the balms, but don't underrate it.

I think that absolutely the NIVEA is the best for the money, I have been stocking up on it as you can get it for just over $3 a bottle. I'm hoping it doesn't go bad and stores well for awhile!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I think that absolutely the NIVEA is the best for the money, I have been stocking up on it as you can get it for just over $3 a bottle. I'm hoping it doesn't go bad and stores well for awhile!

Last year I did just that, and bought a bottle just because it was half price. I'm currently waiting for an order being delivered later this week, and I threw a half price bottle of L'Oreal post shave balm in that order. It was just over £2, which is what I got the Nivea for last year (which has now gone up to its full price of £5-ish). No idea if this L'Oreal stuff will be as good as the usual Nivea stuff, but for the price of a chip butty, I might as well give it a try.

I think the soap you use, and the residual feel from it, also affect whether balm or lotion/splash would be best. After today's shave, there was a very slight tackiness on the skin from the oils in the soap, which only lasted a few minutes. Loading balm on top of that would have been a mistake. On other days (same soap), my skin can feel drier, and balm is a very welcome addition.
+ 1, I like to let the post shave feel determine splash or balm.

I thought Nivea Sensitive Balm was good, but it was never my favorite.

My two favorites are Every Man Jack Signature Mint Face Lotion and Neutrogena Triple Protect Face Lotion.

Proraso white for me was the one to beat.

Easy on the skin and doesn't have the strong smell.
The Pacific Shaving Company Natural Shaving Cream is my sensitive choice. Great cream performance, light scent with all natural ingredients.

MM879

These are all good suggestions.

The main reason I use Nivea Balm is that you can buy it at CVS, and you only need a little for your whole face

I like to use it before walking out of my house in Winter

I used to have Nivea Sensitive post shave balm (Original) until my local store ran out, I tried the "Cooling" rather than the "original" balm and have never looked back since! The best I have used to date, it has a nice hint of Chamomile, not too overpowering.

What's the difference between the sensitive and regular?

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk
As far as I can tell the regular has Aloe Vera and alcohol where as the sensitive one is alcohol free and chamomile is used in place of Aloe Vera

Top Bottom