What's new

Is Nespresso worth a try?

We have one in the office. I don’t get the hype over these or the keurig machines. A percolator or French press make more sense to me. I am far from a coffee snob, but these types of machines are just expensive and produce a lot of waste. At least the nespresso ones are recyclable/green.

We have a Keurig at my work and I much prefer the taste of Nespresso Original (espresso/cappuccino/latte) to the Keurig. But the Keurig makes a big cup of coffee for much less cost than the Nespresso.

There are some interesting articles that look at how environmentally friendly different brewing methods are. Obviously there are reasons to be suspicious of brand-specific claims since there is a clear economic advantage to being "eco-friendly." A few studies have indicated that the biggest environmental impact of coffee is the growth and transportation of the coffee itself. Drip coffee, espresso, and French Press all use more coffee per cup than single-use capsules and, since you are making a single cup at a time, people generally drink a higher percentage of the coffee made. The general wastefulness of people when making their own coffee seems to make coffee in general terrible for the environment.

I have been too lazy to look at the actual studies cited, however, I thought it was interesting

Legion

Staff member
We had one at my old job, and my brother has one.

The coffee tastes fine, but eventually a lot of people get fed up buying the expensive pods. Personally, I don't find it too much trouble to use a moka pot on my stove, so I'll save the money and not have another appliance cluttering up my kitchen.

As for me, I have an ordinary espresso machine, but I think the taste of coffee depends more on the beans you have, the way you roast and grind them. I decided to make all these steps myself recently. I had a popcorn popper and now I'm using it for roasting coffee, grind them using a coffee grinder and using my espresso machine with a holder. And as the result I get really good cup of coffee.

As for me, I have an ordinary espresso machine, but I think the taste of coffee depends more on the beans you have, the way you roast and grind them. I decided to make all these steps myself recently. I had a popcorn popper and now I'm using it for roasting coffee, grind them using a coffee grinder and using my espresso machine with a holder. And as the result I get really good cup of coffee.
Never knew you could use a popcorn popper to roast coffee, that's really cool! Thanks for replying.

We have one that my wife uses every day and i use occasionally. It's not bad, per se, but I've found that because the pods are pre-ground and pre-packaged, there's rarely any kind of flavour nuance or difference. It's convenient as heck for a quick coffee, but the flavour options are limited (by which I mean the differences in roast etc., not added flavourings).
If you like a quick shot of dark roast espresso in the am, do it. the pods are recyclable and the taste isn't bad. If you're looking for a great cup of coffee, i'd get a hand grinder, an aeropress, and enjoy.

Top Bottom