What's new

Is Nasal Snuff making me sick?

I've got a handful of different snuffs I ordered from Mr. Snuff a while back. I hadn't touched any of it in probably 6 months, so on Monday I decided to give some a shot again.

I had mowed the lawn on Sunday afternoon, which had aggravated my seasonal allergies some, not bad, but some. I started taking some snuff on Monday while at work. By Monday afternoon, I felt awful. Nose was pretty plugged up, sneezing, could hardly stay awake at my desk, generally in a fog, all the signs of me being sick.

I ended up staying home sick yesterday. I'm back to work today, but still not feeling 100%. Is it the snuff? Is it coincidence? Has anyone else had problems like this?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
It is probably aggravating the existing nasal allergy at least. I don't use snuff, just occasionally smoke a pipe. I too have seasonal allergies. If I mow the lawn (3 1/2 acres) then swim in the pool underwater and smoke my pipe later all in the same day, it reeks havoc with my sinuses.

I'd probably say it's an unfortunate coincidence.

Sometimes at work I think the snus is making me feel ill but I drink a bottle of water and it just turns out I'm dehydrated. Four cups of coffee without drinking water will do that to ya.

Glad you're feeling better, sir!

I've read that some people use snuf and find that it helps with nasal allergies. No medical support for this and I'd be concerned with long term use. But hey...same goes with prescribed medication. I use a prescribed nasal spray. Not a liquid but dispensed much like an asthma inhaler only in the nostrils. Has helped tremendously. It is preventative. It's not meant to be used when I am actually having an attack. I would imagine snuf would be the same and do little and perhaps even aggravate the situation once the nasal passages are already affected. If you've been using snuf for allergies in the past without issue then it was probably just coincidence.

I haven't used it in the past for allergies. In fact, this isn't the first time that I've ended up with nasal issues after using it. I figured maybe the last time was coincidence and figured I'd try it again. The last time was in the middle of winter, so definitely not allergy season.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
There is an article linked to in previous threads about the various causes of "tongue bite" when smoking a pipe. Not all tongue bite or generalized irritation of the oral mucosa is caused by puffing too fast causing a thermal burn. A chemical burn may occur due to a high alkalinity state and there can be allergic reactions as well. I have long since mastered "puffing" a pipe to avoid the common noob affliction of thermal tongue bite, but occasionally will get the generalized irritation of the whole inside of my mouth, feeling like burning oneself with too hot pizza, even with sloughing of skin. This may occur even with a tobacco blend that I previously have smoked without issue, particularly if I try and hold the smoke in my mouth for a prolonged time to get the maximum taste. Although you are not burning the snuff, it is residing in/on your nasal mucosa for a period of time and may be causing the symptoms you have experienced.

There is an article linked to in previous threads about the various causes of "tongue bite" when smoking a pipe. Not all tongue bite or generalized irritation of the oral mucosa is caused by puffing too fast causing a thermal burn. A chemical burn may occur due to a high alkalinity state and there can be allergic reactions as well. I have long since mastered "puffing" a pipe to avoid the common noob affliction of thermal tongue bite, but occasionally will get the generalized irritation of the whole inside of my mouth, feeling like burning oneself with too hot pizza, even with sloughing of skin. This may occur even with a tobacco blend that I previously have smoked without issue, particularly if I try and hold the smoke in my mouth for a prolonged time to get the maximum taste. Although you are not burning the snuff, it is residing in/on your nasal mucosa for a period of time and may be causing the symptoms you have experienced.

That's a very good point. My physiology may just not work with snuff. It's a shame, because I've got probably 10 different kinds in varying amounts, but I don't think I want to risk using them anymore.

When your sinus drains it will plug your nose. Could be the snuff has got stuff moving? Ive had surgery for a deviated septum and before the surgery at certain times of the year I wouldn't drain. Nose clear but horrible "face ache". Now my nose is plugged a lot in the summer but no pain. Sorry to ramble but im old :001_huh:

When your sinus drains it will plug your nose. Could be the snuff has got stuff moving? Ive had surgery for a deviated septum and before the surgery at certain times of the year I wouldn't drain. Nose clear but horrible "face ache". Now my nose is plugged a lot in the summer but no pain. Sorry to ramble but im old :001_huh:

The snuff definitely gets stuff moving, but it also causes inflammation I think.

I had a septoplasty and turbinate reduction at the beginning of this year. Before, I always had a hard time breathing through my nose. It would drain and I never had sinus issues, but I was always congested. It was amazing being able to breathe after the surgery.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The snuff definitely gets stuff moving, but it also causes inflammation I think.

I had a septoplasty and turbinate reduction at the beginning of this year. Before, I always had a hard time breathing through my nose. It would drain and I never had sinus issues, but I was always congested. It was amazing being able to breathe after the surgery.
I was born a month premature, and have had sinus problems my whole life. Most of the time, I have at least one nostril partially congested. It never gets bad enough, however, that I have to resort to breathing through the mouth.

I was born a month premature, and have had sinus problems my whole life. Most of the time, I have at least one nostril partially congested. It never gets bad enough, however, that I have to resort to breathing through the mouth.

I was generally a mouth breather. It was bad enough that when I had a cold, swallowing became difficult since I couldn't move ANY air through my nose. I finally had enough of it and asked my doctor about it, ended up going to an ENT, and having the surgery.

I couldn't be happier that I made the decision to do it, being able to breathe through my nose is incredible.

The surgery itself really wasn't bad, I had it on a Friday, took the following Monday off for my post op (which is probably the worst part of nasal surgery), and was back to work on Tuesday.

If you ever get to the point where you're tired of the congestion, I highly recommend looking into getting it fixed!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I was generally a mouth breather. It was bad enough that when I had a cold, swallowing became difficult since I couldn't move ANY air through my nose. I finally had enough of it and asked my doctor about it, ended up going to an ENT, and having the surgery.

I couldn't be happier that I made the decision to do it, being able to breathe through my nose is incredible.

The surgery itself really wasn't bad, I had it on a Friday, took the following Monday off for my post op (which is probably the worst part of nasal surgery), and was back to work on Tuesday.

If you ever get to the point where you're tired of the congestion, I highly recommend looking into getting it fixed!

I think I will. It usually isn't bad, but when I mow the lawn it gets horrible.

Top Bottom