What's new

Is my Wolfman too efficient?

I have waxed poetic on these pages about my WR2 1.05 razor. It is sublime. The mix of efficiency with comfort is noticeably better than anything I've tried. But, it hasn't become a daily driver because it's *too* good.

I'm sure those with the larger gaps are snickering, but my problem is more after the shave than during where I feel little, if any, irritation. If I get a BBS shave, and I rarely try, my (fairly sensitive) skin feels worse the day after and I become prone to ingrowns, for example, and some irritation may develop. Also, the Wolfman takes off so much hair, there is hardly any point in shaving the next day. My work schedule and video calls often requires consecutive shave days during the week.

I'm going to keep experimenting, maybe an Astra SP vs my preferred Nacet, but I'm wondering if selling or trading to try a 0.95 gap isn't a better option. I don't want to have that much $$ in a razor unless it's a daily driver and I already own a couple of candidates for that role.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I have waxed poetic on these pages about my WR2 1.05 razor. It is sublime. The mix of efficiency with comfort is noticeably better than anything I've tried. But, it hasn't become a daily driver because it's *too* good.

I'm sure those with the larger gaps are snickering, but my problem is more after the shave than during where I feel little, if any, irritation. If I get a BBS shave, and I rarely try, my (fairly sensitive) skin feels worse the day after and I become prone to ingrowns, for example, and some irritation may develop. Also, the Wolfman takes off so much hair, there is hardly any point in shaving the next day. My work schedule and video calls often requires consecutive shave days during the week.

I'm going to keep experimenting, maybe an Astra SP vs my preferred Nacet, but I'm wondering if selling or trading to try a 0.95 gap isn't a better option. I don't want to have that much $$ in a razor unless it's a daily driver and I already own a couple of candidates for that role.
Sounds like the gap is too much for you, or the blade choice could be off. You should have little trouble finding a trade partner if you post on the BST. Or worst case, get back in the Wolfman list (7 month wait) and sell the one you have.

How many passes and which direction(s)? If your razor can accomplish in two (or one?) passes what would normally take three then cut out that third. Same idea for ATG. If your Wolfman can get close enough XTG then save your skin from ATG.

If you're already making those adjustments then it's possibly too much razor, but I think most likely you can adjust your approach around the razor.

How many passes and which direction(s)? If your razor can accomplish in two (or one?) passes what would normally take three then cut out that third. Same idea for ATG. If your Wolfman can get close enough XTG then save your skin from ATG.

If you're already making those adjustments then it's possibly too much razor, but I think most likely you can adjust your approach around the razor.

I do 2 passes at most. I never go straight ATG except in two tiny areas. It's too painful in irritation day of and next day.

All I can say is try the Blackland Blackbird.
I hope you are right! I have a Blackbird OC (black oxide, bought 2nd hand) arriving soon.
I had the WR2 DC (SB/OC) 1.15 and it was a smooth shaver...but too mild.
My stainless Karve #E (SB) plate easily beat it for closeness of the shave and about the same smoothness.
No use keeping it, so I sold it after about 2 months.
I should have bought the 1.25 but you don't know how a razor will go until you buy it and try it.
Anyway, @Noodles what soap do you use?
These more efficient razors can do with an efficient soap too.

[/QUOTE
Hello, last month I reviewed both the 0.95 and 1.05.
Wolfman WR2 0.95 vs 1.05: 3, 2, 1 - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/wolfman-wr2-0-95-vs-1-05-3-2-1.600909/post-11076546
This review may help you decide. Personally I find the 0.95 almost as efficient but milder than the 1.05. In my opinion is one of the best razor with those characteristics,

Claudio

My best (so far) is Stirling (Black Cherry, or Bay Rum).
I like to make a sort of 'yoghurty' texture (face lather).
You sure that you aren't making your lather a tad too thin/watery?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

To try a inexpensive experiment to see if you would like a .95 all you have to do is put a .1mm or .004 thousands of a inch or approx 1 razor blade(.0035 thousands of inch) on top of the blade to be used and then put your razor cap on to sandwich the shim to raise the top cap mocking the same thing desire. You might need 2 shims to notice a difference?
A couple of shims below sitting on regular blade. I use to shim any razor I bought to see if it was in my sweet spot. I use tin metal shears to make my shims and run a stone over them to remove burrs.
Electric tape would work also if you do not have the tools to shear a spent blade.
Electric tape(.005 thousands of inch) might be better so not to damage finish of inside finish of your Wolfman top cap. If not the desired results what you do is add another layer of electric tape making (.010 thousands of inch shim).
I used some electric tape for a shim on a Oneblade core blade doing experimenting with for a shim and worked well for 10 shaves.

Some shims I made years ago.................Experimenting with a Gem blade & different tapes for my Oneblade core, worked well.
razor blade shims.jpg
Oneblade Core shimming Experiments (2).jpg

1612580510508.png
by raising the top cap you have less blade exposure!
Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Last edited:
To try a inexpensive experiment to see if you would like a .95 all you have to do is put a .1mm or .004 thousands of a inch or approx 1 razor blade(.0035 thousands of inch) on top of the blade to be used and then put your razor cap on to sandwich the shim to raise the top cap mocking the same thing desire. You might need 2 shims to notice a difference?
A couple of shims below sitting on regular blade. I use to shim any razor I bought to see if it was in my sweet spot. I use tin metal shears to make my shims and run a stone over them to remove burrs.
Electric tape would work also if you do not have the tools to shear a spent blade.
Electric tape(.005 thousands of inch) might be better so not to damage finish of inside finish of your Wolfman top cap. If not the desired results what you do is add another layer of electric tape making (.010 thousands of inch shim).
I used some electric tape for a shim on a Oneblade core blade doing experimenting with for a shim and worked well for 10 shaves.

Some shims I made years ago.................Experimenting with a Gem blade & different tapes for my Oneblade core, worked well.
View attachment 1218801 View attachment 1218806
View attachment 1218831 by raising the top cap you have less blade exposure!
Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!
DSC_0538.JPG

DSC_0540.JPG

Thank you, @Ron R ,it really shines!
I did an experiment on my Oneblade hybrid.
I didn't punch holes on 2 sides of the Gem ptfe blade, it will be milder than the original FHS-10 setting. The first time I use it, the blade is very sharp so the effect is excellent, but as the number of uses increases the blade It will become milder so that I cannot reach the BBS.
Electrical tape is really a cool idea! I put it under the blade, it did increase the blade spacing a bit, and the blade is more fixed, not easy to be pulled out.
I tried this new toy just now and I was very satisfied! BBS again! 👍👍👍

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
View attachment 1218883
View attachment 1218884
Thank you, @Ron R ,it really shines!
I did an experiment on my Oneblade hybrid.
I didn't punch holes on 2 sides of the Gem ptfe blade, it will be milder than the original FHS-10 setting. The first time I use it, the blade is very sharp so the effect is excellent, but as the number of uses increases the blade It will become milder so that I cannot reach the BBS.
Electrical tape is really a cool idea! I put it under the blade, it did increase the blade spacing a bit, and the blade is more fixed, not easy to be pulled out.
I tried this new toy just now and I was very satisfied! BBS again! 👍👍👍
If you place the tape side to the bottom of the blade inserted in your Oneblade Hybrid it will increase more gap increasing aggression and efficentcy, placing the tape on the top of the blade in the Oneblade Hybrid will not do a lot but it will keep the floating blade design more secure. On my Oneblade Core I was trying to improve and experiment on more aggression. I had some enjoyment out of that tinkering project. I really like my mild range Oneblade Core but I have a large razor rotation and it does not get used as much, next week I will have to give it a whirl (Great razor on the Chin area IMO).
I might have to try what you did my self, it might save altering the gem blade which is superior to the FHS10 blade for longevity.

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times.

Last edited:
If after reducing to two passes and trying out diff blades you stil feel irritation after the shave then I suspect the 1.05 is too much for your face. How I judge if a razor is perfect or not is both during and after the shave. Everyone's face is different so there are no right and wrong answers universally where it comes to razors.

Have you tried corking milder blades?
This trick has worked for me in the past.

What I do is take a mild blade (eg. Derby extra or Dorco Prime) run it through a couple of times each side using a styrofoam peanut (doesn't have to be a cork, you could use a bar of soap if you don't have either a cork or styrofoam peanut. For me this takes away the roughness of the blade and smoothens it out to the point where it's noticeably milder.

I hear you and feel you. I have the WR2 1.05 and 1.15. I've been using the 1.15 exclusively for about one and a half weeks. While I have not reached a final conclusion, I am leaning towards the 1.15 not being a daily driver for my face (each shave is a new data point, though, and I admittedly am shaving every other day now). I read in another forum that another person liked the 1.15 more, but that it was too much—the 1.05 while less efficient was the preferred daily shaver.

Everyone's skin is different. You can read post after post here about aggressive this, and smooth that. I know the pull of "I love this, I know I love this, other people love this, but...." In the end, it's your face, your skin, your hair, and your enjoyment. Do what's right for you. Heck, one day, James might offer customization again, and you can shoot for an elusive WR2 1.00.

If you want a daily driver (and the Wolf's price point is not justifiable budget-wise as an every other day plus shaver), then you might want to step down to a 0.95. Alternatively, since so many other shavers compare or comment on Razor Z compared to a Wolf, you might be able to 'triangulate' to that right razor.

Does sound like 0.95 might work out better.
I have a 0.80 WR1 but it isn't a daily shaver for me.
Lower gaps are much better for my skin daily.

Heck, one day, James might offer customization again, and you can shoot for an elusive WR2 1.00.

I thought inbetween gaps were possible, custom handles and engraving not? I know James would make a .85 WR2 (but recommends against it).

If you want a daily driver (and the Wolf's price point is not justifiable budget-wise as an every other day plus shaver), then you might want to step down to a 0.95. Alternatively, since so many other shavers compare or comment on Razor Z compared to a Wolf, you might be able to 'triangulate' to that right razor.
I purchased my Wolfman for exactly this reason, so curious why you wouldn’t want a super efficient razor if it works for you? With my 1.55 I can shave every other day using less soap and aftercare products in the long run and still have an acceptable two day face for work. It would also mow down any amount of hair if I choose not to shave for a week plus. For me this was a perfect one razor option. Just wanted to throw out the other side of the coin.

+1! Great suggestions!

I suggest you start by trying two XTG passes in opposite directions (‘nose-to-ear’ then ‘ear-to-nose.’)

Best of luck! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I love the Nacet blades but I really dislike them in my 1.25 WR2. Too me they feel rough and my skin feels uncomfortable after the shave. Try a Derby and a Personna or Crystal. The Crystal is my favorite in the Wolfman, still smooth and the shave is still plenty close but not a close as using the Nacet or Feather. I can shave everyday or once a week with this setup. I like it a lot.

I know it’s different for everyone but for me the Nacet was the worst blade for WR2.

Have you tried corking milder blades?
This trick has worked for me in the past.

What I do is take a mild blade (eg. Derby extra or Dorco Prime) run it through a couple of times each side using a styrofoam peanut (doesn't have to be a cork, you could use a bar of soap if you don't have either a cork or styrofoam peanut. For me this takes away the roughness of the blade and smoothens it out to the point where it's noticeably milder.
IMO this is more easily accomplished by palm stropping. Takes maybe 10-15 seconds and requires no equipment. YMMV.

Top Bottom