What's new

Is my water to blame?

I’ve been using a 40’s Super Speed, Merkur blades, Proraso (and all 3T’s), Saville Row 204, shave–in-the-shower when I finish everything else (done this for years). It’s been about a month, and I’m still no better off than I was with a Mach 3. On a few occasions I’ve done better, but then my neck is very irritated the rest of the day. I know there’s a billion variables, but I just wonder how much you think my hard water might factor in. I can never get great lathers, and my razor ALWAYS skips and stutters. There’s always a lot of drag when I shave, and I’m using the lowest angle I can while still cutting. If bad water could be 70% of the problem, then I’ll just have to wait for a softener. But if it could only be like 30%, then I must be doing something else wrong.

Anybody know if hard water can reduce the effectiveness of lather as a lubrication? If so, is there an effective alternative besides a water softener?

Thanks y'all,

Jeff

Try adding salt to boiling water to use for shaving. I think this is how you can soften the water.

Obviously, don't use the water for shaving while still boiling.

apathos said:
Anybody know if hard water can reduce the effectiveness of lather as a lubrication? If so, is there an effective alternative besides a water softener?

Thanks y'all,

Jeff
Yes, it certainly can. As John mentions, added salt can help.

I know that Rich (PoshRichM) also struggles with hard water and he (correct me if I'm wrong Rich) uses a hot pot to boil his water and adds some salt.

Additionally, you could also use a hot pot and bottled water.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have a pretty nifty reverse osmosis unit for the fish tanks, but I've got to draw the line somewhere.

I am the Water Chemistry Evangelist! :lol:

Skipping and stuttering and the inability to get a good lather going are all warning signs, so see if an addition of salt helps.

I don't even boil the water... I just pitch a good dash of table salt into the hot pot (set to 2) before soaking my brush or building my lather from the water in it. It makes a huge difference for me. Sprinkling some in the bit of water in the bottom of your lathering bowl or scuttle should give some of the benefit, though I think soaking my brush in softer water helps too.

Another excellent alternative is bottled water, as has been mentioned, or investing in a water softener unit for your entire house.

-Rich

Top Bottom