What's new

Is Mitchell's Wool Fat the best ever shaving soap?

I don't know, unless it increases the surface area. I've seen a couple of people do that, but I'm dubious that it is as good as the other methods. If the brush is very wet and rehydrating the greater surface area, that might be an explanation. It sounds like a lot of extra work, though.

On one of the zillion MWF threads on this forum, there was talk (and pretty good evidence) that something went wrong with a bunch of pucks shipped out from the factory. It was years ago and I don't remember if MWF confirmed it, but numerous guys shared experiences all at the same time with newly bought pucks that failed to lather well.

Considering that 98% of us on here are hoarders, I wouldn't be surprised if those non-lathering pucks are still in some guy's rotations/collections. ;)

On one of the zillion MWF threads on this forum, there was talk (and pretty good evidence) that something went wrong with a bunch of pucks shipped out from the factory. It was years ago and I don't remember if MWF confirmed it, but numerous guys shared experiences all at the same time with newly bought pucks that failed to lather well.

Considering that 98% of us on here are hoarders, I wouldn't be surprised if those non-lathering pucks are still in some guy's rotations/collections. ;)
You might be onto something here.

I have hitherto been a big fan of MFW and have never had any issues with lathering. I recently 3017'd a puck and it performed flawlessly (as has all previous pucks). However, this new puck I'm working with is beginning to really test my patience...

The lather is airy, thin and simply refuses to develop into the glorious lather it should. It's still slick as hell but it just dissipates. Alas, no matter what I try, it flat out refuses to play ball.

Isn't it curious how MWF seems to be the only soap where people either love it, or people have some curious problems with it? I have not noticed that for example with TOBS. If MWF would indeed be THE BEST soap (if such a thing even exists) surely we wouldn't be having these discussions. Yes, shaving preferences are highly subjective, and so is the choice of soap. But clearly, something is off with MWF. It might not be the formula itself but just the lack of quality control?
I still use MWF as my daily driver, primarily because i like the scent, and I don't like to chuck away anything before finishing the product. But even after 30+ shaves with it I don't think I fully understand this soap. It's inconsistent, to say the least. Ranging from one of the best shaves in my life to no slickness at all. Yet, in my head, I still think I am preparing the lather always in the same way.
My general observation about this soap is that it needs a lot of water. I never had any problems of creating heaps of lather from MWF, but the water adds to the slickness that the lather sometimes lacks.

I got mwf for the first time a month ago and have used it twice so far. I read somewhere that grating it up and stuffing it back into the bowl helps with lathering. I did that and haven’t had trouble. Face feels great afterwards.
I've found that blooming MWF a little works for me, but hey, if grating it works for you, go for it! :thumbup1:

Join me for Fat Friday!

Just don’t spend $34 for the ceramic bowl. Order the $11.99 puck and use your own container or the puck will dry out. The ceramic I received was literally 1/2” out of round and therefore doesn’t seal. Multiple contacts to WCS resulted in them offering me a $5 discount on my next purchase. Escalated to MWF and they said they would send me a replacement lid, but never followed thru. Both were provided with multiple pics. The soap is OK- but after that, I won’t be ordering that product again, nor anything from those two companies. TBH, it’s my last name and our lineage traces to Britain, so the cool “Mitchell’s” container was something I thought I would enjoy having. What I received instead was a defective product and poor service from two companies.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    743.2 KB · Views: 22
I wouldn't do business with whatever company you purchased from that wouldn't exchange or refund. I'd likely complain to the BBB, too. As for MWF, just remind them. It is a busy season. Maybe try and buy from a place like Maggards, or other place with a good reputation for problem solving.

All joking aside re my earlier post. I decided to revive my puck of MWF last week and got several decent lathers. So I it’s back in the rotation. Is it the best ever? No.

Just don’t spend $34 for the ceramic bowl. Order the $11.99 puck and use your own container or the puck will dry out. The ceramic I received was literally 1/2” out of round and therefore doesn’t seal. Multiple contacts to WCS resulted in them offering me a $5 discount on my next purchase. Escalated to MWF and they said they would send me a replacement lid, but never followed thru. Both were provided with multiple pics. The soap is OK- but after that, I won’t be ordering that product again, nor anything from those two companies. TBH, it’s my last name and our lineage traces to Britain, so the cool “Mitchell’s” container was something I thought I would enjoy having. What I received instead was a defective product and poor service from two companies.
FWIW the MWF pucks fit perfectly in Maggard’s 4oz soap containers

I wouldn't do business with whatever company you purchased from that wouldn't exchange or refund. I'd likely complain to the BBB, too. As for MWF, just remind them. It is a busy season. Maybe try and buy from a place like Maggards, or other place with a good reputation for problem solving.
That was my first and last order from West Coast Shaving.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
For me the very best shaving soap is Saponificio Varesino. As I like to say: "Saponificio Varesino is King of Soaps and the Soap of Kings".
Another one I have yet to try my friend! I am afraid that it might dethrone Arko as the best soap in all the World? And what would my shy self find to talk about incessantly?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The term; 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder', can be applied to shaving soaps, razors, whatever. It's what you personally think is the best that really matters.
I had never tried MWF till I joined this forum, and read so about it. after trying it I found that I had no trouble whipping up some very nice lather, and the post shave feel was great. But I'm not ready to call it the 'best' ever. Not yet anyway. 🤫
That is undoubtedly reserved for Arko my friend?

That was my first and last order from West Coast Shaving.
In contrast, I ordered MWF + ceramic bowl from The English Shaving Company. The ceramic bowl showed up cracked. The package was well padded, so I can only assume the bowl was cracked pre-shipment in it's box.

One email with a picture and they responded 30min later to say they were sorry, and are sending me a replacement. They even opened the new one to make sure it is in good shape prior to shipment. How is that for service.

Unfortunately, the MWF ceramic bowls are not well protected from the factory. They are so poorly protected they can break without much effort. In order to ship it safely, the vendor would have to remove it from the box and separately bubble wrap each piece.

I've had three MWF ceramic containers and never had any issues with them.

Also, the trick to this soap is to not use too much water at first, start off with a damp brush and slowly add it in.

I order mine from Connaught Shaving which has the lowest price (even with shipping) and stellar customer service.

Yes. That soap is dehydrated and that's why people have trouble. Even the folks at MWF recommend doing this. Fill the container so that it covers the puck completely and let it sit overnight, at least. It will absorb all of the water and swell to fill the container. When you get ready to shave, pour off any water still remaining (I use this as a preshave sometimes). Then, after wetting your brush, shake it three times good. Then, squeeze it out gently. Now, start loading the brush. I not only load my tips, but I splay the brush, too. Lather will start coming up. Ignore this for now. After you load the brush for a minute, go to your bowl and build the lather. Once you get that going, start painting your face really well. If the soap is a little too dry, put a little of the brush tip briefly in water. A little goes a very long way. Paint more, just like any soap. It will be rich and creamy. It's not as complicated as the telling. When you are finished, cover the soap. Don't let it dry out or you will have to do it all again. From this point on, you only need to prepare your brush as above and load and lather.

BTW, this method works with other hard soaps, too.

I've been using MWF since 2009 and I'd highly advise against soaking it overnight, or even at all. Repeatedly soaking it while I shower caused the lanolin to leach out, ruining the soap. I also tried soaking a puck overnight but the lanolin all leached out and causing the puck to crack all over ruining the soap (it became useless). The trick with properly hydrating this soap while preserving its properties is repeated use. The more you use it, the better it gets.

Top Bottom