What's new

Is Mitchell's Wool Fat the best ever shaving soap?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'm just still trying to get over the trauma of Tabac going vegan. 😥
No one has really explained the advantages of going Vegan soaps through out Europe. Speick did the same thing also and that is one excellent soap IMO.

I used MWF a few days ago after not having used it since last winter. It’s an incredibly good soap for me, but I tend to reserve it for the winter months. I leave water on the surface of the soap for only a few minutes and I get a perfect lather every single time.

I didn't use MFW for my last shave. I regretted it. I'm going to shave with MFW later tonight just to set things right. I don't buy backups of soaps much. I have a back up of La Toja Sensitive Cream and I might get a back up of the regular. However, I like the MWF so much I splurged and got the porcelain container and soap.

I used MWF the other day with the Connaught Omega Jade (boar) brush. It's as good as soap as any I've ever used, especially for about $15.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
No one has really explained the advantages of going Vegan soaps through out Europe. Speick did the same thing also and that is one excellent soap IMO.
There are none, for me at least. I assume some executive decided that going vegan would increase profits, either by reducing costs or increasing sales, or both. Personally I would not purchase a soap that had been changed in such a way, although of course most long established soaps have been reformulated in some way during their history, despite the MWF 'Original 1893 Formula' nonsense.

I had another glorious shave using the MFW. I got my new porcelain MWF container, today, as well. The courier broke the first one, but the seller promptly sent a guy on a motorcycle with a replacement and I sent the broken one back to him so he could go after the courier.

The shave was slick and very close. I really enjoyed it.

I've tried it a couple times over the years and found it to be drying and not as smooth shaving as many other shave soaps/sticks like RazoRock XXX and La Toja (my current #1 shave soap).

I've tried all the internet folklore to get this soap to work, and nope. Not for me. Thin. Runny, finally with enough work I can get a lather. But it disappears from my face before I can even pick up my razor. Oh well.

Back to my favorite - seize the helm! (Soap Commander)

I've tried all the internet folklore to get this soap to work, and nope. Not for me. Thin. Runny, finally with enough work I can get a lather. But it disappears from my face before I can even pick up my razor. Oh well.

Back to my favorite - seize the helm! (Soap Commander)
I get the easiest, creamiest lather every single time and I don't have to work for it, nor does it disappear. What I did was to cover the puck completely with water and soak in the container overnight. The puck will swell as it rehydrates and fill the container. After that, I wet my brush and squeeze out the water. Then, I start loading my brush heavily for 45 seconds to a minute. After that, I move to the bowl (or my face) and begin building my lather. It will come up creamy in a short time. I paint it on my face to check and add the slightest bit of water to my brush tips if needed, then, paint again. Then, I rake the excess off of the brush and into the bowl like with other soaps, and pick it up and paint over what I've done. Finished. I find MWF to be about like Ariana and Evans in bowl lathering, once I get there. Maybe I'll do a video.

I had to run to the doctor to get him to fix a nail I damaged in a motorcycle accident. He cut and it was a bloody mess. I couldn't wait to get home and shower and then shave. The MWF didn't let me down, either. I got a good, creamy, yogurt like lather. The shave was glorious. My face feels wonderful.

Top Bottom