What's new

Is Mitchell's Wool Fat the best ever shaving soap?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Don't you feel that the lather from MWF is frothy, compared to the US artisans?
I mean, I tried Omnibus and my chin fell on the ground.
If you get a frothy lather from MWF it reminds me of not enough load on the brush, this soap works best with less water and slightly pastier lather IMO and applied to a wet face. I have not tried Omnibus line of soaps so not sure, the modern soaps usually have a good base and scent is what a lot of folks are looking for to make the shave. I used canned gel soap for so many years that the scent was taken granted and when I started using all these other brand soaps I was awakened to such a new scent world. If a person can tolerate different scents it is just amazing what awaits that person!

I agree that the MDC is really good, as in GFT. They are both more expensive that MWF, however, and I want to keep costs down. I actually like GFT better than MDC. The others Rudy lists are not as good as MWF for me. As for MDC and GFT, they are certainly slicker initially, but the residual is nearly the same as MWF. However, MWF has a better face feel after the shave. I don't need any balm or lotion after using it. I have GFT in my rotation and it is great stuff. I didn't keep the Speick and MdC. The only soap I feel is better is the Ariana & Evans Kaizen 2e Base soaps. These are really slick.

Last edited:
Don't you feel that the lather from MWF is frothy, compared to the US artisans?
I mean, I tried Omnibus and my chin fell on the ground.
Frothy means it wasn't loaded well and the puck was dry. Cover the puck with water and soak the puck overnight as recommended and let it swell to fill the bowl. Then, pour out any remaining water before shaving. Load your brush for at least a minute to a minute and a half. Then either face lather or bowl lather. I do a combination of bowl and face lathering. If it is too thick, wet the tips of the brush and paint, but don't wet much. A little water goes a long way.

MWF is thirsty because most of the water is removed when it is made. It needs to be rehydrated. Then, it is amazing.

@Doc Dan - you should have made your thread a poll j/s

I agree that the MDC is really good, as in GFT. They are both more expensive that MWF, however, and I want to keep costs down. I actually like GFT better than MDC. The others Rudy lists are not as good as MWF for me. As for MDC and GFT, they are certainly slicker initially, but the residual is nearly the same as MWF. However, MWF has a better face feel after the shave. I don't need any balm or lotion after using it. I have GFT in my rotation and it is great stuff. I didn't keep the Speick and MdC. The only soap I feel is better is the Ariana & Evans Kaizen 2e Base soaps. These are really slick.

MWF for me is just OK. It's good enough but I don't find myself reaching for it and I have a puck on my work desk.
To me has a greater value as a break-in and conditioner for my boars.

There are many soaps that outperform MWF. Off the top of my head the list includes SV, MDC, PDP, GFT, Tabac, DR Harris, Sterling, no longer in production Valobra, Yardley, and my favorite - tallow AOS sandlewood are all preferred.
Taking scent out of the equation, I have a greater performance preference towards Tabac (T), SV, MdC, Floris, SdM, and T&H if we're only keeping to the harder stuff; Stirling (Mutton), PAA CK6, B&M Omnibus, DG Milksteak, and Blue Devil if we're including artisan.

Is Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap possibly the best all around shaving soap ever? Sure, there are some soaps that do one thing better, but Mitchell's seems to excel in every category. It has very good slickness, very good residual slickness, builds an amazing creamy lather, feels good on the face, leaves the face feeling fantastic after the shave and it is washed off, and smells very nice. It isn't perfumed and the scent is light and uncomplicated. Some might not like it because it doesn't smell strongly, but to me, that is a plus. I have a soap that is very slightly slicker, but it fails in the other areas in comparison. I don't know what more anyone could ask of a soap.
It may not be the best ever, but it is definitely very good value for the money and possibly best in it's price category.

Not my experiene at all with dried MWF. Cracked? Yes but malleable, especially with a bit of water added. I only use mine once every couple, three weeks (too many soaps and creams) and I have never experienced it crumbling under pressure or any need for grating! :eek2:
Yes with some water added the MWF and even Williams becomes malleable. My post was referring to a new never used out of the box puck. Those are rock hard for both MWF and Williams.

I had a puck of MWF and followed the directions to rehydrate buy soaking the puck so it would swell to fill out the container. Early on this worked well, but only using it once or twice a month the soap cracked worse each time until it finally fell apart. I would try it again, but this time I would not soak it and try to load off the dry puck. Because the puck diameter is smaller than the container diameter it will probably just spin when trying to load.

I like the soap but because I like a rotation and only use it 1-2 times a month it may not be a soap I can use. I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

I have gotten rid of most of my soaps. A couple I threw away, most I gave away to some folks I know who could never afford them. I kept MWF because I love it. I kept La Toja regular and sensitive because they are good soaps and creams. I kept one Barrister and Mann, and I have three Ariana & Evans varieties remaining. I also have a GFT Rose. The rest I got rid of, including MdC and Stirling.

I just had a fantastic shave with my MWF. It is very close, real close in fact. My face feels hydrated and is smooth as a glass plate. Even after shaving, I can still smell the light, clean smell. It doesn't go away easily. The nose just gets used to it. I will get occasional whiffs for a few hours. Yeah, I really like this stuff.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like the soap but because I like a rotation and only use it 1-2 times a month it may not be a soap I can use. I would appreciate any and all suggestions.
Another method to get your MWF to bloom nicely is just cut some slivers off the puck and press into a lather bowl(20 seconds task) and just add some water while getting ready and that way your are not changing anything in the main soap makeup from the Manufacture.
I find it a easy to master quickly, you do not have to bloom using this method but each for his own ways of doing things, it will not hurt anything to bloom in a lathering bowl.
This way is opposite of the Marco method,Next all I do is squeeze water from my brush and start to swirl until paste forms and add water by hand drops or mister only and swirl some more until you find the pastier lather ........ until lather desired (1-2 minutes & nice lather) and apply to a wet face works every time I have used it with my main puck like new for next rotation, very simple way!
I like it slightly thicker or slightly pastier lather and apply to wet face or mist face as needed would work also (to pasty and it will lack slickness possibly).
This should work for bowl lathers very well.
SOTD October 15 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I had a puck of MWF and followed the directions to rehydrate buy soaking the puck so it would swell to fill out the container. Early on this worked well, but only using it once or twice a month the soap cracked worse each time until it finally fell apart. I would try it again, but this time I would not soak it and try to load off the dry puck. Because the puck diameter is smaller than the container diameter it will probably just spin when trying to load.

Maybe the Marco method above, or that mentioned by Lane101. You could also try just covering in water while you shower until time to lather up. One thing, though, you have to load a lot of soap, it will seem like. Load longer, in other words. I use a synthetic brush with good backbone. I never use my boar any longer. I have no issues at all.

Note that if you still have your old puck you may be able to push it back together, perhaps in the bottom of a mug.

Here is my method mentioned by @Doc Dan in his above post. Adopted from my technique that works well with Williams Mug shaving soap:

I'm using my MWF roughly once a week entirely from a dry puck. I place the dry puck in a clear plastic container that is just over 3" wide and about 4" tall. Use a Razorock Blondie boar brush (renamed Zenith 80N, 26mm knot) that is soaked in warm water for about 2 minutes while I wash my face. I whip up a protolather directly on the puck for around a minute and than begin face lathering to generate great lather. After shaving I remove any excess lather from the puck and let it dry overnight before covering it in its container. Pictures of this set up and brush lather after a first pass of face lathering with MWF below.

Good luck, once you dial it in this is a great soap.

MWF Set Up:

Boar Brush with MWF Lather:

Mitchless' Wool Fat, or "The Fat" is a cool brand. For its history, the legacy, the pretty ceramic container. When dialed correctly it is objectively a very nice soap. A classic soap of yesteryear. Maybe ten or more years ago it was part of the elite of the best European hard soaps, but even then, Dr. Harris, Tabac, Valobra, Irisch Moos or MDC were superior. Then they were the shaving creams: ABC, Castle Forbes, Nuavia, Boellis, Xpac and others were head and shoulders above MWF.

Nowadays shaving soaps have evolved in so many ways. The complexity of the formulas, the richness of the ingredients, the refinement of the fragrances. I would hardly define MWF like the best soap ever, not even amongst the best. It sits in the "good-to-very-good old school shaving puck" category.

Discaimer: I 3007ed two pucks of MWF.

Top Bottom