What's new

Is Mitchell's Wool Fat the best ever shaving soap?

1. From my understanding, water to soap ratio is the only thing that matters when it comes to how a soap performs. If that's the case, would you suggest much less water than I'm currently using? I have to say that I've tried using MWF with a minimal amount of water, as that's when it seemed to perform best for me, it paled in comparison to the slickness I got when overhydrating Haslinger. I may try this again though, I still have some MWF left.

2. I thought MWF was performing "good" for me before I knew what a truly "good" lather was! With Haslinger, I can add much more water before the lather falls apart, resulting in much slicker shaves.
Haslinger has peanut in it and so it is a no no for some people. Weird they would use something that all allergies to it are serious. Any, try some Ariana & Evans Kaizen 2e base. It is seriously slick. MWF is not the best in every category, as I pointed out in the beginning. However, it is tops in most and well balanced, where other soaps excel in one area and flop in another.

1. From my understanding, water to soap ratio is the only thing that matters when it comes to how a soap performs. If that's the case, would you suggest much less water than I'm currently using? I have to say that I've tried using MWF with a minimal amount of water, as that's when it seemed to perform best for me, it paled in comparison to the slickness I got when overhydrating Haslinger. I may try this again though, I still have some MWF left.

2. I thought MWF was performing "good" for me before I knew what a truly "good" lather was! With Haslinger, I can add much more water before the lather falls apart, resulting in much slicker shaves.
Hi, There is a third ingredient in our lather, the air infused into it via our shaving brushes. Without enough soap one can build a desired volume of lather that appears good, based on visual inspection, while, in reality, is really thin and not protective. This can be especially true with today's highly effective synthetic brushes. Similar to the problem you have been experiencing with MWF.

I had this problem with my Tcheon Fung Sing "Ciotola Rossa" (Red Bowl) croap, could never load enough soap with a brush. Figured out the problem by allowing a dollop of the lather to dry out - almost no substance left over. Solved this by treating the croap like a cream and scooping out enough soap and then face lathering.

Since you still have some MWF left try lathering a significantly increased amount to the same lather volume as before - let us know how that works. If it still doesn't work, and since YMMV, just move on to your other soaps that work really well for you and continue enjoying the journey.

P.S. How has your new formula Tabac been working for you? I purchased some last fall and found it works well with my regular technique/synthetic brush. Curious if your excellent scientific approach was able to optimize it and if so what you found were the ideal ratios.

Shaved with my MWF yesterday. Really appreciate the rich and slick lather it produces - luxurious feeling. While my other shaving soaps tend to deliver maximum slickness when wetter the MWF does so at a much richer consistency that is enjoyable. Have others found that to be true?

The tallow/lanolin makes my post shave face a bit shiny. Best used during the colder winter months wnen my skin needs the extra moisturizer

Hi, There is a third ingredient in our lather, the air infused into it via our shaving brushes. Without enough soap one can build a desired volume of lather that appears good, based on visual inspection, while, in reality, is really thin and not protective. This can be especially true with today's highly effective synthetic brushes. Similar to the problem you have been experiencing with MWF.

I had this problem with my Tcheon Fung Sing "Ciotola Rossa" (Red Bowl) croap, could never load enough soap with a brush. Figured out the problem by allowing a dollop of the lather to dry out - almost no substance left over. Solved this by treating the croap like a cream and scooping out enough soap and then face lathering.

Since you still have some MWF left try lathering a significantly increased amount to the same lather volume as before - let us know how that works. If it still doesn't work, and since YMMV, just move on to your other soaps that work really well for you and continue enjoying the journey.

P.S. How has your new formula Tabac been working for you? I purchased some last fall and found it works well with my regular technique/synthetic brush. Curious if your excellent scientific approach was able to optimize it and if so what you found were the ideal ratios.

That's very true that air plays a big part in lather quality. I've experimented with minimizing and maximizing aeration, but haven't come to a conclusion yet on which performs better on average.

I've face lathered a couple times with it in the past few weeks. The performance is good, though not as good as Haslingers. All that may be beside the point for me, though, since after my last shave with it it left my face with what seems to be an allergic reaction, probably from the heavy perfume content. Though I love the scent, I may have to give up on it for now if my next shave with it gives me the same issue.

Haslinger has peanut in it and so it is a no no for some people. Weird they would use something that all allergies to it are serious. Any, try some Ariana & Evans Kaizen 2e base. It is seriously slick. MWF is not the best in every category, as I pointed out in the beginning. However, it is tops in most and well balanced, where other soaps excel in one area and flop in another.
What's great about Haslinger is they have a "Sensitiv" formula with no allergens whatsoever. I may have to try it sometime in the future when I finish my Schafmilch, I've heard it performs the same minus the post shave feel from the lanolin.

Shaved with my MWF yesterday. Really appreciate the rich and slick lather it produces - luxurious feeling. While my other shaving soaps tend to deliver maximum slickness when wetter the MWF does so at a much richer consistency that is enjoyable. Have others found that to be true?
I get a consistent rich, creamy lather, like yogurt or something. That is what I try for and The Fat delivers.

Do you mind sharing your lathering method? I would love to try it.
I always soak my MWF pucks overnight and let them swell to fill the container. I pour off any excess water not absorbed and use it for a preshave. I have fairly hard water, rusty a bit, too. I never ever have trouble getting a good, rich lather. I shave my brush out 3 times and then gently squeeze out any excess remaining. I load like a mad man for 45 seconds to a minute. I used to lather in a bowl, and now I lather on my face. If the lather does not develop properly, either my brush was too wet or I didn't load enough soap. In either case, load more soap. I have zero issues. I love this soap.

I need to add that I only soak the puck the first time and not afterwards.
I do the same. The only variation on this is that I load the (stiff badger or boar) brush heavily, then reduce pressure until the brush tips barely skim the surface of the soap to build the lather. Once the big bubbles are gone, I face lather.

Of course I have no idea how well this method transfers to the new palm oil formula MWF, and I'm well enough stocked up, that day will be long in coming, if ever.

I used real MWF this morning. Great shave. I used to be a soak-the-puck guy but with this one I have just been loading off the puck without any special prior treatment. Works fine...maybe I have just got better at lathering over the years.

I asked myself why a brand would be willing to sacrifice a reputation that has been decades in the making for the sake of...what? A bit more profit per unit? That doesn't mean anything when your sales plummet because your product no longer offers anything people want. I wonder if they know just how much goodwill and word of mouth amongst traditional wet shavers has contributed to their sales over the years. Let's hope they come to their senses and revert to "real" MWF.

I used real MWF this morning. Great shave. I used to be a soak-the-puck guy but with this one I have just been loading off the puck without any special prior treatment. Works fine...maybe I have just got better at lathering over the years.

I asked myself why a brand would be willing to sacrifice a reputation that has been decades in the making for the sake of...what? A bit more profit per unit? That doesn't mean anything when your sales plummet because your product no longer offers anything people want. I wonder if they know just how much goodwill and word of mouth amongst traditional wet shavers has contributed to their sales over the years. Let's hope they come to their senses and revert to "real" MWF.
Who knows what the shaving soap market is. We might represent a tiny fraction of a percent of their sales, and most of their customers just buy it because it’s what’s available at the right price and they know the brand. They probably never heard of tallow and they won’t realise there was a change, even if the soap seems a bit different from what they remember.

I’d like to think our opinions matter, though. Either way, it’s a great shame to lose another product that many shaving enthusiasts really cared about.

It’s weird to think that tallow will soon be a ‘premium’ ingredient only available in expensive artisan soaps. It’s hardly exotic.

Now that the tallow is gone, I wonder if it'll still be considered "the best ever shaving soap."
No. It will move up the ranks and be considered a 'legendary' soap. Unsurpassed in it's excellence.

Edit: the modern stuff? Probably not.
That is what will tip the scales. AOS Tallow, SIM, Palmolive Sticks, all moved up the ranks after they got discontinued.

Modern Williams, often regarded junk-soap on this forum for years, is now talked about with such praise. That one I can't figure out.
I love modern Williams. I have yet to find a better soap for rubbing on a linen strop. Kept a single puck for that purpose. Gave the others away as unfit for use. If I ever use up that puck (unlikely in the extreme), I'll buy a stick of Arko and relegate it to the same purpose. Unlike Williams, Arko (and Derby) both perform well. It's the 'slap you in the face' citronella scent I can't get past.

Top Bottom