What's new

Is Mappin and Webb razor a rebranded Frederick Reynolds?

So I purchased a Mappin and Webb razor set and the design on the blade looks awful close to the design on Frederick Reynolds The celebrated. I spoke with a friend across the pond and he says Mappin and Webb is a jeweler/silversmith that was in Sheffield and still have some stores today. I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility that they could have contracted with Frederick Reynolds to brand them a razor to sell in their stores?

The razors are still in transit but I was able to find some online pictures of my set and the Frederick Reynolds I'm comparing it to.
IMG_6996__35189.jpg
IMG_7005__48003.jpg
frederick-reynolds-the-celebrated-hollow-ground-1116-blade-fully-restored-original-scales-shef...jpg

As long as it shaves well I don't care whose name is on it, but it would be neat to be able to know the history of it.

Thanks for any input!

You will see the same razor made by different Sheffield makers. This is common.

I have five 7/8 near wedge square point razors from around 1860. One from Joseph Rodgers and four from Wade & Butcher - all with the same design. The only real difference between the razors is the location of the pivot hole/punch.

Based on what I have read, some work was farmed out to small workshops that people ran out of places like their homes. For all I know, the same person made all five :).

At the end of the day, razors stamped Sheffield without England prior to the McKinley Tariff act are of high quality with the caveat that each razor is unique and many of the razors have been through a lot over the years.

Mappin & Webb razors are highly valued. Based on the photo, looks like a beautiful pair. I assume the scales are ivory. Run this search on Google to learn more about Mappin & Webb:

site:strazors.com mappin webb

And please post some pics when your razors arrive.

You will see the same razor made by different Sheffield makers. This is common.

I have five 7/8 near wedge square point razors from around 1860. One from Joseph Rodgers and four from Wade & Butcher - all with the same design. The only real difference between the razors is the location of the pivot hole/punch.

Based on what I have read, some work was farmed out to small workshops that people ran out of places like their homes. For all I know, the same person made all five :).

At the end of the day, razors stamped Sheffield without England prior to the McKinley Tariff act are of high quality with the caveat that each razor is unique and many of the razors have been through a lot over the years.

Mappin & Webb razors are highly valued. Based on the photo, looks like a beautiful pair. I assume the scales are ivory. Run this search on Google to learn more about Mappin & Webb:

site:strazors.com mappin webb

And please post some pics when your razors arrive.

Thank you for the detailed response. I will send more pictures when available and I look forward to using them.

Mappin and Webb are far beyond the value of F.R. and as it's been said, many makers made razors look about the same and used the word Celebrated.

I won't put a value on this, but just to show off a Mappin and Webb 7-day set still original, never restored, dressed in Ivory, and in the original box...
You will have a hard time finding something like this anywhere.

Mappin & Webb Back.jpeg
Mappin & Webb. Boxed.JPG
Mappin & Webb. Front.jpeg

They are not perfect. A few dark spots and a crack in one scale but it makes me proud to own this set.

Attachments

• Mappin & Webb Back.jpeg
    Mappin & Webb Back.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
So I received my razors a while ago but I have been kinda busy and never got around to taking a good picture, or using them. I don't know what I'm waiting for but they seem like a wonderful pair of razors.IMG_20230124_195820275.jpg
IMG_20230124_195839286.jpg
IMG_20230124_195846160.jpg

Top Bottom