What's new

Is Kent worth it?

Like it says in the thread title - without getting into comparisons, if you own a Kent brush, was it worth the investment?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
My BLK8 cost me 90 bucks or so when I got it a few years back on Amazon UK. It’s a great brush at that price. For the US market pricing, I would buy a Shavemac or Thater. Both are honestly superior in my experience.

The ones I've seen and felt in hand were kinda thin. No way would I ever pay the prices B&M shops are selling these for. JMHO

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Only Kent I’ve kept of several is the B&B LE from 08’ . Shorter lofted than their standard offerings and denser. I guess in short my opinion is no.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Take what I say with a pinch of salt as I have only tried one Kent brush and that was a long while ago but when I think Kent I think cheap, low grade, low density, floppy brushes with no backbone in vulgar faux leather cases. I always assumed they were bought for shavers rather than by them, and built their reputation at a time when there were few alternatives. I could be being totally unfair here as many people love them but as an example I would rank Semogue as far superior to Kent. To my mind there are far better brushes for less money. No offence intended to the Kent owners. YMMV.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I really don't like Kent brushes. They are very floppy with very little backbone and I also hate the handle design.

I'd take EclipseRedRing as a fair review. I have four of these, from a small diameter to their 28mm and honestly, the thing I come away with is the idea these brushes were designed to be used with creams only. Pretty yes, but not out on my sink, working day in and out, helping me enjoy my shaves. If I had a significant other I'd think they'd be great for dusting whatever makeup gals use for ... ah... dusting.

The Kent badger brushes I've used felt lovely and soft on my face, but lacked backbone by the standard of most of their modern rivals. Possibly this is because they seem to be set to a high loft, which always makes brushes feel less dense and more floppy. Having said this, they could all whip up good lather from soap or cream, although perhaps with a bit more work than is required with others.
So, if you like a very soft and comfortable brush — "cloud-like" is the description sometimes used — then Kent could be the brand to go for.

I come from a family of truckers so every time this thread pops up in the forum I immediately have this in my mind

3F222AFA-524F-47F1-A9D9-E129C73A5C2F.png

My Kent BLK8 was well worth getting. As for claims of floppy, we all have different standards. Honestly the only brushes I could call floppy were a Mason Pearson in Super I had, and Vulfix 2233, 2234, and 2235. One thing that those brushes all could outdo any other brush in is in the lathering department. A decrease in density, and an increase in loft will alway lead to a brush that lathers better. The effects of this are more pronounced in 3-band, but it is also exhibited in 2-band as well. Denser, shorter brushes can still make lather, but it just takes more time to whip up the lather. Nothing too drastic.

I've had all the Kent range at one point. For how much I've been loving large brushes lately the BK12/BLK12 would probably be my preferred, but the BK8/BLK8 has been my optimal spot for many years, and still serves quite well there. The density isn't that of a Chubby by any means, but it is a touch more luxurious thanks to what seems to be a softer hair, and a longer loft. I believe it is the increased flexibility in the shaft of the hair that creates the illusion of it being softer, but it does play a part in it. Both are a wonderful experience, but I find the Kent to be more luxurious.

Ultimately whether the brush is worth it is up to you. If you like a more dense brush that has presence to it as others have expressed, then no, the brush wouldn't be for you. Even the LE 08, and 09, can take you so far with a reduced loft and slightly increased density. I don't recall if they packed it with extra but it does seem like they did. I say that having used both and still having an 08. The 4 and 8 sizes for the kents are both good sizes, and if you like a large brush the 12 is quite wonderful for luxurious shaves.

If you want to purchase one I suggest buying it directly from Kent and pay in British Pounds. The price you will pay is far less than what it would be stateside. Soon you won't be able to buy the badger brush if that's what you're looking at as Kent is going fully synthetic. If you feel like rolling the dice you can try waiting for Black Friday as Kent has had a 33% off sale then for many years running, but you would be taking a chance. As for the synthetic brush I haven't used it yet, but plan to get around to it someday. I have it, I just haven't gotten to it. If it was synthetic I would advocate for the Omega Evo though I suspect. That brush has been my favorite in regards to that category so far, and hasn't been toppled, and frankly don't see it being toppled. I agree with @IMightBeWrong in that for a price around that it is well worth it, and can say the prices for the same size won't be much more than what he paid if you buy now in Pounds.

Kent, will do all you need from face lathering to bowl, from soap to cream. It all depends on your budget, what you want to do with it etc, etc. Like other have said go for it but again buy from Kent direct its cheaper than from US vendors. If you want luxury but don't want to spend the money definitely ha e a look around. While not luxury both Omega and Semogue make great brushes. Others like Yaqi and Frank shaving also make great brushes.

Kent, will do all you need from face lathering to bowl, from soap to cream. It all depends on your budget, what you want to do with it etc, etc. Like other have said go for it but again buy from Kent direct its cheaper than from US vendors. If you want luxury but don't want to spend the money definitely ha e a look around. While not luxury both Omega and Semogue make great brushes. Others like Yaqi and Frank shaving also make great brushes.

Not sure if you are talking about silvertips when mentioning Omega and Semogue, but Omega in particular can be very luxurious. Semogue isn't bad either, but I'd have to give a nod to Omega badgers. In fact, I have a used Omega badger I bought just now I would say rivals my BLK8 in feel.

As others note it all depends on what you are looking for.

Kent is a well-established brand with a strong following. For me (a 100% face-latherer who prefers a fair bit of backbone), Simpsons, Shavemac or Thater are preferable to Kent. But that’s my taste.

I can understand why others prefer Kent!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
A Kent Infinity is my main brush, primarily used with Mitchell's Wool Fat. A Maggards synth is in secondary place, typically used for softer soap or cream samples, and an Omega Hi-Brush is in the travel washbag for use with Palmolive sticks. No complaints here.

Pretty clear from looking at that Face Book page that the majority of their customer base are women. They make brushes and combs and some shaving brushes.

Top Bottom