What's new

Is Kell's Original Aloe Shave Soap Still Made?

Wow, it's been a decade since I've been around here! I thought I had everything dialed in, so I was good to go... Well, I may be back to the drawing board now. I know that everyone's skin is different, and that everyone has a personal preference as to what works best for them. In fact, I started using the "your mileage may vary" phrase because of this place. I thought I had my routine set, but now I'm worried that my favorite soap is no more.

After much trial and error, I found that Kell's Original Aloe Ultra Shave Soap worked remarkably well for me and my sensitive skin. It became my preferred soap to all others. I loved the stuff. I also liked that a puck would last me for ages, so I'd order a couple of pucks and easily be good for a year or so. Now, as I'm almost out of my last puck, I can find no proof online that they're still around! I only see the odd add for other stores that may have a few pucks of the scents that I'm not after. The only other "kell's" I find is a different beast, altogether. Did the company go under? Are they gone, altogether? I'm really sad that I'm going to have to "trial and error" all over again, because it took me a while the first. Does anyone have a clue?

Kell's Original is a decent Glycerin based soap. Sadly many glycerin based shave soap that were around years back are no longer available. Picked up Energy and Dragon's Blood a while back but get a slight burning sensation from their soaps, not terrible but slightly uncomfortable. The shave properties are decent though. If either of these scents sound interesting to you shoot me a PM or some other Glycerin based soaps are: Mama Bears, Col. Conk, Ginger's Garden, Honeybee (Discontinued).

I was a real fan of Kell's Black Tea soap. After doing some research over the week, I ordered (and since received) a sample pack from Central Texas Soaps. The fact that the guy created his soaps based on needing a soap that can handle his eczema made me give it a try, as I have sensitive skin. Took my first shave with it this morning and was quite pleased. I'm going to see how it goes over the course of a week of daily shaving and reassess.

Hello all,

I've been lurking for years but thought it time to join and post.

Based on recommendations here I found my favorite shaving soap Kell's Original ultra aloe. I liked a bunch of their scents (Ancient Sedona and Juniper Sage were my faves), but the main thing I liked so much is how good my face feels after the shave. Well, Kell's is no more, and I'm down to my last puck. I'm looking for recommendations on a replacement soap. I tried a tub of Proraso red and found it fine, but not really for me (left my skin dry). I bought a sampler of humphrey's homemade pucks on ebay. The Ronin (kokum, shea, and mango butter based) smelled nice, but I found it a pain to lather, and left my face very dry. I also tried the boomstick (glycerine based) and it was very easy to lather and smelled really nice (like the Pinaud Clubman my first barber used after shaving my neck). It left my face feeling okay (certainly the best of the bunch that I've tried) but not nearly as good as Kell's. Before I place a Mama Bear's order or buy a puck of Conk I thought I'd ask here.

So I'm looking for any advice on other soaps to try, and I'd especially like to hear from others who had to make the switch from Kell's. If any of you have found a favorite, or are on the same search that I am and have thoughts on what to avoid, I'd love to know that too.

I think I'd prefer a vegan/glycerine soap, and I want something that doesn't dry me out.
I'm also planning to try melting down a humphrey's puck and adding a bit of aloe to it to see if that helps.

The rest of my set up is pretty well dialed (the Razorock Gamechanger 68 safety bar with persona blue blades is my weapon of choice; I face lather with either an omega boar brush or a zenith boar brush; I finish up with witch hazel and an alum block). All of this worked great with Kell's, and I'd love to find my replacement. Thanks!

Top Bottom