What's new

Is it wrong to use Ivory soap

I have tried actually shaving with Ivory soap in the shower...burns!!..not to mention the AS that didnt help improve a thing as it burned as well...case in point...having sensetive skin makes for an uncomfortable shave!

Don't give up on a good idea so easily. You've only got a single (borderline) negative experiment, and there are so many variables. While I haven't tried Ivory, I've have a fair amount of experience with another tallow-based bar soap: Dove. Based on my efforts, your results sound like too much water & not enough product. The process of producing a bar of soap seems likely to yield a product unsuited for use as a shave stick. I suspect it's too dry and hard to deposit enough soap on the beard. I've had the best luck grating the soap, adding a little moisture as water or KMF shave cream, and pressing it into a container, then lathering from the top of the container with a boar brush. It takes a bit of effort to really load the brush, and then a few minutes in the lathering bowl, slowly adding water until a nice rich lather is formed. It can be done.

Looks like that Ivory ad tacitly admits that their soap isn't really made for shaving.

Yep, and clearly that ad dates back to a time when a lot of folks didn't enjoy much disposable income and went to great lengths to get by on the cheap. When a bar of hand or bath soap became too small to use, in many households it found a new home in a shaving mug, mingled with the remnants of other shards of bar soap. That said, this hobby isn't necessarily about making rational choices-- if you get a charge out of shaving with Ivory, more power to you. Enjoy your shaves!

Yep, and clearly that ad dates back to a time when a lot of folks didn't enjoy much disposable income and went to great lengths to get by on the cheap. When a bar of hand or bath soap became too small to use, in many households it found a new home in a shaving mug, mingled with the remnants of other shards of bar soap. That said, this hobby isn't necessarily about making rational choices-- if you get a charge out of shaving with Ivory, more power to you. Enjoy your shaves!

Yep to all points... (And what didn't end up in the shave mug often ended up in the dish sink or the washing machine.) Plus Ivory wouldn't be the first (or last) manufacturer to suggest a semi plausible semi dodgy use for their product in hopes of drumming up a few extra sales.

Last edited:
Looks like that Ivory ad tacitly admits that their soap isn't really made for shaving.

Everyone already knew that, though they clearly outline a method by which you could use it for shaving.

Since the modern formulation of Ivory is different than the historical formulation of Ivory, shaving with it is likely passable at best.

I'm surprised to see many of you never hearing of this before.

My father used regular soap bars from the shower as his shaving soap all through my childhood.

This is most definitely not the first I've heard or seen of it.

Ivory,
I shave with ivory,
Good shaving rules
I want to flout them

Those fancy shaving pucks
I'll never use them
My epidermal layers
I live to abuse them

The lather's dry
The razor burn makes me cry
Just like I
Was shaving with Williams

Call me a dope
At least I don't use Zote
But I shave....with Ivory!

:a14:

Can't imagine why not, after the wonderful reception he got.

While they weren't greated like a long lost cousin I don't see anything wrong with the reception he got. He asked a question about shaving with Ivory and recevied answers that were along the lines of "Sure you can do it. But why would you want to?"

I don't think anything we said put him off. I checked his profile, and the OP hasn't been here since six minutes after he started this thread. So either he's just been too busy to read B&B or this was a troll post.

Nick

I don't know if he is a troll, but his first post is kind of poetic.

"I like things plain and simple. Ivory is like wonder bread. Does anyone know of a better option."

Except for the missing question mark and a letter that needs to be capitalized, it's totally Madison Avenue material.

Life is too short for cheap wine and also shaving with ivory soap.
i think about all the years i shaved with aerosol.
so many missed opportunities for comforting shaves.
yes, you can certainly shave with ivory.
it's just a shame.
and i don't mean to be arrogant.
just there are too many great shave soaps available for a fraction of the cost of blades.
maybe it's an age thing. oh well.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
proxy.php

That was probably 57 reformulations ago.

I have used it, and it works. It just isn't anything special.

I like things plain and simple. Ivory is like wonder bread. Does anyone know of a better option.

Yes it's wrong. Don't listen to the noise in this thread. Buy yourself a La Toja shave stick or Arko shave stick or Tabac or some Mke's Natural shavng soap samples and prepare to be amazed.

Yes. It is absolutely wrong. Before I became a fat old officer in the Army, I would use bar soap to shave when we'd go to the field. It works, but why do it when you have the time and ability to use something else. There are far to many excellent products that won't break the bank to use a bar of Ivory soap. Frankly, Ivory soap sucks as a soap anyway.

Top Bottom