What's new

Is it wrong to PIF?

If I hate an item, find it absolutely useless, and can't see how anyone would be able to use it, am I assuming too much? Should I PIF it and hope someone can find it useful or should I throw it out of the shaving universe?

On an unrelated note, does any like the synthetic brush sold by The Body Shop?

Any PIF is a good PIF. Whatever it is that doesn't work for you may be just the ticket for someone else here.

I've seen "It didn't work for me PIFs" before where people explain why they are giving stuff away.

For example, I PIF'd a soap recently and explained it irritated my skin a bit when using (warm, tingly sensation). I listed the ingredients in case others know they have issues with certain stuff and was very up front with why I was giving it away. The recipient had no issues, and liked it!

I've not used a Body Shop synthetic before. My favorite is Plisson. Check out my review here where I compare it against Muhle and Omega.

Personally I have been considering to get a synthetic brush once GRU-fall is over... so I have no experience with them but I like to hear others opinion.

If I hate an item, find it absolutely useless, and can't see how anyone would be able to use it, am I assuming too much? Should I PIF it and hope someone can find it useful or should I throw it out of the shaving universe?

On an unrelated note, does any like the synthetic brush sold by The Body Shop?

I think a PIF is always a good thing. One man's "junk" is another man's "treasure", as it has been said many times! If someone is not interested in an item, they will likely pass on entering the contest, so no harm - no foul.

BTW - Yes. I like the synthetic brush from The Body Shop. It was the first brush I ever purchased and was what I learned with. Even though I now have a couple of nice badger brushes (Simpsons and BSB), I still use my TBS synthetic more than any of my other brushes. I especially like it for bowl lathering. It is not very good for face lathering, however. It is too stiff to really splay for circular rotations and is too rough for comfortable exfoliation, so it is primarily a "whip up the lather and paint it on type of brush". Although, it dries almost instantly and is great for travel.

I guess I have averaged a PIF every couple of months since I joined.

I PIF things I sampled and didn't care for or duplicates or other excess. Or once, in a celebratory mood, a few items just for the fun of it.

I wouldn't PIF anything I considered defective.

I've owned a Body Shop synthetic. I'm using the past tense because I haven't seen it in a while and I may have given it away.

It's functional. That would be my rule of thumb for offering a PIF - for example, I wouldn't give away a shaving soap that I couldn't get to lather, a broken razor, etc.

We were even crazy enough at one time to dedicate a Brush Chronicle to it.

PIF's are a good thing. No opinion on the body shop synth as I have never tried a synthetic. What's the benefit of one?

As long as you are honest about the product and your feelings/experience with it then I see nothing wrong with a PIF.

Body shop synth is a decent brush. I would buy one in a pinch if I were traveling and needed one and a store was near by. I think it would be nice brush for a beginner. I would not recommend buying one, however, as you can get a WD synth brush for 3x the price that is 10x the quality

+3. I"m giving away a bottle of Aqua Velva in my PIF because the wife smelled it and said I smelled too much like her father, who apparently is also an Aqua Velva man (It's ok, I've switched to a Bay Rum AS that I like better).

So far, I haven't heard ANYONE saying, "Aqua Velva?!? EWWW!" when I offered it up, so I figure it'll go to someone who wants it or needs it. :thumbup1:

Don't buy a body shop synthetic. They're not horrible but I have a body shop, omega s and a whipped dog and the body shop is my least favourite of the three by a wide margin.

Top Bottom