What's new

Is it worth trying a Yaqi Tuxedo brush?

My daily brush is an Edwin Jagger Best Badger which I actually really like. Some time ago I decided I should give synthetics a try so I purchased a Razorock Bruce because I'd heard good things about their Plissoft brushes (and the price was right).

The truth is - I hate it. I generally face lather and I dislike how it flops around on my face and doesn't splay very naturally. It's ok for "painting" I guess but it seems lousy for swirling and building the actual lather. I've tried more water and less water but it doesn't matter - it's just not enjoyable for me.

It sort of turned me off ever trying a synthetic again but I suspect I'm not really being fair. So, I've been looking at the Yaqi Tuxedos but could anybody offer an opinion as to whether I should bother? Should I expect them to be a different experience compared to the Bruce or just more of the same/similar?

I know lots of people love their synthetic brushes! Open to any suggestions really.

If you want a face lathering synthetic, I recommend the Yaqi Sagrada Familia. Its got the most backbone of all the Yaqis that I have tried.

its only $11 at west coast shaving (if they ever get more in stock), or you can order from Aliexpress for $14.

If you are interested in some other handles, then I would try to keep the loft around 53mm or so. The lofts of 57mm and above are going to start getting floppy.

I think its well worth the money to give one a shot.

I just used a Black Wolf knot (which looks exactly like the Tuxedo knot) today, and I think it feels stellar on the face. While loading the brush, it had plenty of backbone, and the lather was great. I really like this knot.

I have a Plisson, and it is much more floppy. I also have an "Ubersoft" which is likely similar to the Plissoft. It does have more backbone compared to the Plisson but not as much as the Black Wolf/Tuxedo.

I’m a boar and silvertip guy, but I own one Yaqi tuxedo for traveling. It’s supposed to have a 53mm loft but I think the knot was glued a few mm short. Takes a little extra effort to splay but super soft with decent backbone. Been able to lather any soap effortlessly.

The bristles softened and performance increased after a few uses.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I think if you do not like the RR Plissoft Bruce synthetic brush stick with the Badger brushes. I prefer synthetic over natural. I have a Boar brush when I first started traditional wet shaving and bought a synthetic cheap Plissoft for around $10 dollars and it was like night and day. The RR Plissoft out performed the Boar brush in lathering,scrub, splaying and painting on lather IMO. I do use the that boar brush occasionally just to realize how spoiled I am with my synthetics. I have some Yaqi synthetic brushes and would suggest possibly a 24mm tuxedo knot or the 24mm timber wolf knot if you thinking Yaqi brushes.
Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo knots -I like both but favor the black handle one..............24mm Yaqi Timber wolf knot.
Yaqi Tuxedo knot (2).jpg
Yaqi Timberwolf 24 mm brush (2).jpg

I have some more great Yaqi brushes I bought last November 2019 sale.
Yaki 4 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

I really enjoy my Yaqi tuxedos but they are slightly harder to splay. They're definitely not floppy so it might suit you. Even if it doesn't, they're only 10-20 bucks so it's not a big purchase anyways.

I just used a Black Wolf knot (which looks exactly like the Tuxedo knot) today, and I think it feels stellar on the face. While loading the brush, it had plenty of backbone, and the lather was great. I really like this knot.

I have a Plisson, and it is much more floppy. I also have an "Ubersoft" which is likely similar to the Plissoft. It does have more backbone compared to the Plisson but not as much as the Black Wolf/Tuxedo.

I should add that I am a bowl latherer, so when I bring my brush to my face I want it to feel awesome while painting on the lather. I really don't build a lather on my face. I think the Black Wolf knot is great for painting on the lather.

I like natural hair brushes since they absorb water and hold more heat. A synthetic you have to add water bit by bit. Still, they have their place. A lot of people really prize their softness and efficiency in lathering.

The Sagrada Familia is a good face lathering brush. However, there are a few other Yaqis that are worth looking at. For instance one with the pony knot:
pony-1.jpgpony-2.jpg

Another good one is the mew brown knot:

phaze-1.jpg

I really enjoy my Yaqi tuxedos but they are slightly harder to splay. They're definitely not floppy so it might suit you. Even if it doesn't, they're only 10-20 bucks so it's not a big purchase anyways.

Here in Canada they're more in the $25 to $35 range - but yeah, still not really a very big purchase (and I realize of course that I'm being cheap about it). I'm just kind of torn between wanting to try another brush and yet really, really disliking the Plissoft that I already have.

I've had quite a few Yaqi brushes & they're OK for me. I was referred by a forum member to try the Turn N Shave Chess synthetic brush & it is one of my favorite synthetics. And it's only $15.

I have Butterscotch Yaqi Tuxedo with 24mm knot and 57mm loft is working so good. Even if I do not shave lately, I use it to clean my face with my face soap bar. Yes, it is hard to splay it on your face, but for that loft to first use your chin to splay, then cheeks :) Also syntetics need time to break in. Definitely worth it to purchase.

Last edited:
Top Bottom