What's new

Is it weird I find no enjoyment out of modern DE razors?

I just purchased a ‘60 Fat Boy. Any tips?
There was a good thread recently about cleaning and polishing a vintage razor.

Adjust with the doors partially open.

Setting 3 is where Gillette recommended people to start and then adjust from there depending on the blade you are using and personal preference. Setting 3 is similar to a Super Speed. Setting 5 is more similar to a Red Tip.

I don't think it's weird at all. What's weird is telling people what they can and can't enjoy and I'm not about to do that. Whether it's an aesthetic thing, a function thing, or just the cool factor of using old-school stuff for an old-school task I think it's all good. I for one enjoy new and old but each for different reasons. You found something that you like and I say rock on.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I'm with the mod kids. I want to love my vintage razors. I have a Fat Boy, slim and aristocrat adjustable, red tip, black beauty and a couple others. But I am about to sell or PIF them. I just don't get as good a shave from them as I do my modern razors-Muhle r89, EJ89, Merkur 34c, Rockwell 6c, Game .. It always comes down to YMMV.

I just purchased a ‘60 Fat Boy. Any tips?
Start low on the dial. Make sure to open the “barn doors” before adjusting. So you don’t torque your razor. If it’s a mild blade You might have to go up to notch 5-6. Ymmv ofc. If it’s a sharp blade start at about 3. Just make sure you have good technique. Get a good slick lather, and have some fun!

I'm with the mod kids. I want to love my vintage razors. I have a Fat Boy, slim and aristocrat adjustable, red tip, black beauty and a couple others. But I am about to sell or PIF them. I just don't get as good a shave from them as I do my modern razors-Muhle r89, EJ89, Merkur 34c, Rockwell 6c, Game .. It always comes down to YMMV.
Aristocrat adjustable? Got an offer?

There was a good thread recently about cleaning and polishing a vintage razor.

Adjust with the doors partially open.

Setting 3 is where Gillette recommended people to start and then adjust from there depending on the blade you are using and personal preference. Setting 3 is similar to a Super Speed. Setting 5 is more similar to a Red Tip.
Lol welp. You beat me to it. I went ahead and said the exact same thing without reading your post first 😂

Never owned a vintage Gillette but I can say my Razorock Game Changer JAWS is one smooth efficient modern beast. It covers the side tabs, is made of stainless steel, feels more like a weapon than a razor, and cost a whopping low price of $58. It's only my 3rd DE razor and very well may be my last. I don't get off on collecting razors, I just needed something that does the job for a good price. If your Gillette's works just use that, unless you are looking to spend money, then you are surely in the right place. It's not rocket science, it's ultimately just a blade holder.

Never owned a vintage Gillette but I can say my Razorock Game Changer JAWS is one smooth efficient modern beast. It covers the side tabs, is made of stainless steel, feels more like a weapon than a razor, and cost a whopping low price of $58. It's only my 3rd DE razor and very well may be my last. I don't get off on collecting razors, I just needed something that does the job for a good price. If your Gillette's works just use that, unless you are looking to spend money, then you are surely in the right place. It's not rocket science, it's ultimately just a blade holder.
Lol you’re not lying about the money. That’s for sure. I have a severe ASAD and SBAD thing going on lately. It’s to the point that I’m investing exclusively in Stirling “sheep” unscented soap, just so it will encourage me to use up/buy more aftershave’s. So yeah, I think I need an intervention to my addiction. 😂

Last edited:
I prefer vintage. Of my 40+ razors, I use about 15 regularly. Only one new manufacture razor is in those top 15, a Schone OC in gold. It shaves better for me than my Old Type, so I kept it.
My son is totally turned off by the idea of using some dead guy's razor. His tool of choice is a Futur clone.

It was a surprise to me that not only vintage razor, but a less aggressive razor worked better for me. I have gone from a 34 HD to a Fat Handle Tech and a Gillette New SC.
Close, smooth, comfortable

I have way more vintage razors than newer made ones. shaving with something 100 years old gives a wonderful experience. John

There is room in my den for both. The only pot metal razor I own is the Gillette Heritage and I bought that for the novelty more than anything else.

Top Bottom