What's new

Is it weird I find no enjoyment out of modern DE razors?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Hmmmm... Fat Boy looks to be going up for sale soon. For me it is not much more than a happily acquired hobby novelty. I don't get an amazing shave from it.

I’m thinking about buying a second fat boy already 😂 just Incase this world ends as we know it. This way of shaving will survive, as well as thrive. But in all seriousness I’d like a second to pass down to my future son one day, or just Incase my fat boy gets cocky and picks a fight with some tile.

Be careful, I decided to get my favorite vintage and modern razors for both of my boys (Currently aged 4 and 19 months respectively). It got pricey to say the least. My wife wants a third to be a girl. I hope my third is a girl also. Would give her a Lady Gillette and a Parker and call it a day.

Be careful, I decided to get my favorite vintage and modern razors for both of my boys (Currently aged 4 and 19 months respectively). It got pricey to say the least. My wife wants a third to be a girl. I hope my third is a girl also. Would give her a Lady Gillette and a Parker and call it a day.
I can relate lol I just got my wife a NOS lady Gillette. I have 2 daughters, so that would be 2 more lady Gillette’s and Atleast 1 extra fat boy. This rabbit hole is getting bigger. 🐇

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef

What, pray tell, did you get the young lads to pass on if I may ask. I gifted my 20 and 17 year olds a Merkur 34c and Merkur 30c respectively. A tuck of blades and a decent brush as well. I have shown them the way and await them forging their own paths.

Alas my daughter would not appreciate the Starburst. Good luck with that down the line.

What, pray tell, did you get the young lads to pass on if I may ask. I gifted my 20 and 17 year olds a Merkur 34c and Merkur 30c respectively. A tuck of blades and a decent brush as well. I have shown them the way and await them forging their own paths.

Alas my daughter would not appreciate the Starburst. Good luck with that down the line.
Yeah I totally agree. If I buy them a lady Gillette that means absolutely nothing to what they might use. However. Growing up and both parents only use DE razors? Between both girls, they will (more than likely) learn on a DE. Will they venture off that path? More than likely. But, they could find their way back. I just figure it’s nice to give them the option just in case. You just never know. 🤷‍♂️

edit: also DE shaving seems to be making a comeback with my generation. I can see it being even more common to shave the way we prefer.

I started out with an EJ, then years later ventured into vintage Gillettes, then into modern 3 piece designs and adjustables, some expensive some not so, etc.

What I’ve found owning all of those razors is that my consistent best shavers are the Old Type, Super 84 and the Gibbs adjustable. All of my razors get me BBS but these 3 are the smoothest, have zero irritation, leave my skin soft and are the easiest to use.

I discovered the Old Type toward the end of my buying. If I started with the Old Type, I’d probably own only 3 razors now as I sought out the Fatboy and Super Speed after my father died. Those were his razors.

I’m not saying modern razors aren’t as good as vintage, just in my case, the best shavers happen to be overall. I love my Timeless, a terrific shaver, it is a work of art and I would never sell it. I also have vintage razors that don’t compare with some of my modern ones.

There are too many variables to say that one group is better than the other. So many vintage and modern razors are so vastly different from one another. I can only say that my Old Type either beats hands down or equals the shave quality of all my vintage and modern razors.
I have several Old Types & they're without a doubt the best shaving razors I own. My Techs are a all a close 2nd, as are my 40's Super Speeds and even Super Adjustables. The Milord & even Sheraton shave nearly the same as my Super Speeds, too.

Razors, just like with guns, my favorite is the one I happen to be holding at the moment.

To start off, I’m not a rich man, but I’m very patient and had prior experience on the auction sites and antique stores when I had my watch addiction. I actually got incredible deals on all and started collecting for them over 4 years ago before my first son was born. Most of the NOS vintage I got dirt cheap from antique sellers whom have little knowledge of razors. If they sell only razors, skip, if they sell a lot of antiques, pay attention. This includes using keywords that a person that knows nothing about razors would use to describe what they have. Don’t mind sharing this now since I’m done buying vintage for the most part. Want a Gillette Fatboy, don’t search for 195 or Fatboy, search for “old Gillette” or “old razor“, I could go on all day. The SBS and Standard Razors were “Defects” that had no defects whatsoever, they just wanted to move them for whatever reason, again very low price. I waited a period of over 2 years to wait for 20 % off eBay days to get the Bronzes from the Timeless eBay store. I got the mint Old Type military kits for under 10 bucks a piece on the Goodwill site. Both were not listed as Gillette and one was listed as a Wilkinson Sword because of the blades.

So here is the list.

2 Mint Fatboys, 2 refurbished/refinished Fatboy collaborations by Delta Echo and Razorplate, 2 NOS Super 109s, 2 NOS Super Speeds, 2 NOS prewar Techs, 2 Timeless Bronzes SB, 2 mint Gibbs adjustables, 2 Parker Variants, 2 Ikon SBS Aluminums, 2 Fendrihan Mark IIs, 2 mint Old Type Military kits, 2 raw Aluminum Standard Razors, 2 NOS plastic Coopers, 2 Game Changer .84s, and will get them Slims and VB Emperor Meijis in the future at some point.

Also 2 chrome RR Plissoft brushes.

I got my wife an NOS Lady Gillette and landed a second one also at the same time. That second would go to a daughter or maybe a granddaughter if applicable.

I am planning on refurbishing an old wooden box at some point for them to store.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
But for some reason I’ve gotten to a point that I don’t even bother with anything that’s not a vintage Gillette. [...] Or can you guys relate?

I can see it. I have it in a slightly different form! I find it hard to get engaged with a razor that is "just a regular DE." I have a couple, but I have more examples that are Gem-ish, slants, lather catchers, Artist Club and other more-or-less idiosyncratic platforms.

O.H.

For me, it depends on the razor. Of the vintage razors, my favorites are the UK Aristocrat and FB. However, there are more modern razors that I prefer to vintage.

For me, it depends on the razor. Of the vintage razors, my favorites are the UK Aristocrat and FB. However, there are more modern razors that I prefer to vintage.
I want a British Gillette so bad. Are the generally pretty aggressive?

The Aristocrat on the left is the UK version. It is smooth but efficient. I don't find it overly aggressive.

1580151151782.png

Very true. I also have tried some modern razors, and have no interest in them. The new razors I have tried do not offer as good a shave as my vintage razors.

A good example of the YMMV motto here. What works well for some does not work well for others.

I wish I could get a "great" shave from a vintage Gillette... but I just can't. Modern razors easily trump my vintage ones all day long.

I still have a few Fatboy's for collection sake, but don't even bother using them anymore.

I wish I could get a "great" shave from a vintage Gillette... but I just can't. Modern razors easily trump my vintage ones all day long.

I still have a few Fatboy's for collection sake, but don't even bother using them anymore.
Ymmv, for sure. For me, my NOS fat boy is the perfect weight, and length. I can get a DFS with any blade I’ve ever tried in it by adjusting it correctly. I absolutely love this razor lol

R

romsitsa

All Gillettes are rather mild. If you look for something extremely efficient, try a LeCoq caged head. Or get a Gillette Old type, preferably a 102, and shorten the comb by ~1 mm per side.

Adam

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
All Gillettes are rather mild. If you look for something extremely efficient, try a LeCoq caged head. Or get a Gillette Old type, preferably a 102, and shorten the comb by ~1 mm per side.

Or track down a Wardonia. I looked at mine the first time and I went pale. Nothin' BUT blade feel. Well, nothin' but EDGE feel...:scared: But it was a pretty good shave. You can just about push your finger between the baseplate and the blade without cutting yourself, however.

O.H.

Top Bottom