What's new

Is it weird I find no enjoyment out of modern DE razors?

Alright gents. I know there’s a million DE razors out there. And, some much better razors than vintage Gillette’s. I’ve tried quite a few different “modern” razors. I get good shaves and everything. But for some reason I’ve gotten to a point that I don’t even bother with anything that’s not a vintage Gillette. I think the only “modern” razor that has me even the tiniest bit curious is the Muhle R41, and I suppose the timeless bronze razor. Other than that, I feel bad for my non vintage razors. Almost like Woody from Toy Story when Buzz Lightyear came into the picture, just in reverse. Is that weird? Or can you guys relate?

I can relate. Not sure if there are tangible reasons or not. Surely, there are profound heartfelt reasons. The only modern d/e currently owned is an inexpensive one but it shaves well.

I might feel differently had I a nicer new one, but I’ve no desire to get one. I’m largely a straight shaver.

Actually, I'm the other way. I get better, more comfortable shaves out of my modern razors. I still like my vintage Gillettes, just like my modern ones more. I lean towards very efficient razors and my Gillettes just don't give me what I want. I still get a notion to get one out from time to time, and I can get some really great shaves, but doesn't seem to give me the same caliber of shave as, say, my Timeless .95OC, or my Karve, Blackland trio of razors. Maybe it's the weight of the newer ones that work better for me.

Actually, I'm the other way. I get better, more comfortable shaves out of my modern razors. I still like my vintage Gillettes, just like my modern ones more. I lean towards very efficient razors and my Gillettes just don't give me what I want. I still get a notion to get one out from time to time, and I can get some really great shaves, but doesn't seem to give me the same caliber of shave as, say, my Timeless .95OC, or my Karve, Blackland trio of razors. Maybe it's the weight of the newer ones that work better for me.
It’s kind of weird lol I understand the weight factor though. That does make sense. Although for my face, the fat boy has the perfect weight for me. I also enjoy the shorter handles (which is weird because I’m 6’4 and a pretty big dude)

I got no love for modern razors, either. I probably have nearly too many vintage and love shaving with every one of them.

It’s fun to imagine someone older than my grandpa getting a BBS shave and going out for a night on the town with his sweetie, popping into the speakeasy for a nip. Now I’m doing the same thing (minus the speakeasy).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It's probably a good idea to have some modern and Vintage razors just to keep shaving challenging and interesting.
I have Gillette, Gem, Everready, Schick,Enders, Razorock also just recently bought a Oneblade Core that I'm really enjoying at the moment all using different blade systems. So nothing wrong with vintage IMO and the modern razors are OK, at the turn of the Century(1900's) when Safety razors were being introduced the razors went through a gantlet of tests from people shaving with them at the factory's to MFG blade perfection.
Have some great shaves!

...I’ve gotten to a point that I don’t even bother with anything that’s not a vintage Gillette... Is that weird? Or can you guys relate?
A lot of modern razors are based on vintage designs, so yes, you are kind of weird.
:lol1:
Actually, I think you are lucky to have found something that you really like, instead of having to keep chasing the latest thing.

My favorite razors at the moment are a pre-war Gillette Tech fat handle and a Fatip Grande. The Fatip is new, but basically a vintage design like an improved Gillette Old Type. I also like my German 37 which is a recreation of a mid-century Merkur slant design, and my SLOC which is a recreation of a fairly obscure mid-century design.

I get the same sorta thing I just think the older stuff is nicer to look at it was made by men for men I’m not tryna be sexist but it’s like anything that’s hand made you just know it’s quality

I only have vintage Gillette Techs...and a Wilkinson Sword Classic plastic that hasn't changed in design for 30+ years so that would be my newest razor. I see no need to bother to try anything else.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I used nothing but vintage for years ...tried various zamak new razors, finding them meh.

Then I upped my game to Timeless titaniums... Pretty hard now to pick up anything else.

AA

I have around 15 Gillettes. 2 Fatboys, (one being my Birth Year and Quarter in the Original case) the other the same, only a year later). 3 Adjustable Slims, H1, J4 and M3. I have TTOs before date codes and others. There was a time I wouldn't use anything else.
Then I received a Merkur 43c non adjustable. The weight felt twice as much as my Gillette adjustables. And what a fantastic shave! Effortlessly gave me an unconscious, consistent, smooth shave.
Never expected it.
THEN, I did some research and picked up the Merkur Progress 500 Short Handle Adjustable, Amazing! Then I got the Progress 510 Long Handle, ***! The weight! The feel, it effortlessly shaves my face. Maybe it's the weight, twice as much as my Gillettes but it feels Automatic.
So I bought the Merkur Futur which I still haven't taken out of the box because the 510 is simply, THE perfect razor in MY hand for MY needs.
And I'm an old school Gillette guy.
I rotate my Fatboys and Slims in, but for me, my Merkur 510 Adjustable Long Handle is perfection for me.
It was all a surprise to me.

It’s kind of weird lol I understand the weight factor though. That does make sense. Although for my face, the fat boy has the perfect weight for me. I also enjoy the shorter handles (which is weird because I’m 6’4 and a pretty big dude)
I prefer modern razors to vintage Gillettes. I like blade feel and the Gillettes I’ve tried don’t have that. I do like short handles though. There are modern razors with short handles, but they are getting more rare.

Upon finding and using my Pre-War (triangular lather slots) Fat Handle Tech, I have no need or desire to even consider another razor! My Tech and my GSBs are locked in and a constant for me. Now I have fun exploring soaps and perhaps a new brush or 2.

Alright gents. I know there’s a million DE razors out there. And, some much better razors than vintage Gillette’s. I’ve tried quite a few different “modern” razors. I get good shaves and everything. But for some reason I’ve gotten to a point that I don’t even bother with anything that’s not a vintage Gillette. I think the only “modern” razor that has me even the tiniest bit curious is the Muhle R41, and I suppose the timeless bronze razor. Other than that, I feel bad for my non vintage razors. Almost like Woody from Toy Story when Buzz Lightyear came into the picture, just in reverse. Is that weird? Or can you guys relate?
Brother Savage,

Lovingly and respectfully I say you are weird. You have little or no interest in some of the better razors from Merkur, Parker, Muhle, and Apollo, among others? Variety is one of the blessings of life itself.

Vintage Gillettes are definitely one of a kind. It's hard to find a smooth and efficient shaver like those. However, I do enjoy the modern razors as well. Some of them just don't work but I do have couple favorites like RR Mamba 53 and the Merkur 34C.

Top Bottom