What's new

Is it too early to buy pipe tobacco?

And that is probably due to the PG added to keep it moist FOREVER, which RLP-6 doesn't have.

I think you're right, I noticed the tobacco wasn't dry enough even after 5 days spread in the open air. What is RLP-6, please?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
All cellared. Haven’t tried any of it yet. Maybe later today.

7B34AD01-C1B4-473E-8488-D29AC3A6FCFB.jpeg

All cellared. Haven’t tried any of it yet. Maybe later today.

View attachment 1114356
Do it.
Start with the amphora! I’m halfway through my jars but I’ve been smoking a few other blends at the same time.
My favorite out of the pack is probably the Kentucky!

I started with burley, then Kentucky, then Virginia, then English,then cavendish. I start with burley because I only smoked PA before and wanted to compare. Then followed up burley with the Kentucky because some people place those two in the same category of “blend”. What order after that didn’t matter.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Do it.
Start with the amphora! I’m halfway through my jars but I’ve been smoking a few other blends at the same time.

I started with burley, then Kentucky, then Virginia, then English,then cavendish. I start with burley because I only smoked PA before and wanted to compare. Then followed up burley with the Kentucky because some people place those two in the same category of “blend”. What order after that didn’t matter.

If you want a good smooth Burley Virginia blend, give Half and Half a try. I know it is an old “codger” blend and still available in local stores but was first blended in the 19th century and still going strong. What do you think the reason might be?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I’m on the list for the 2020 B&B LE Pipe. My last pipe experience and tobacco purchase was back in 2013.

Is it too early to buy some pipe tobacco? Don’t answer....

So what (and where) would you recommend I start? Just a little background - I’m a cigar guy. I prefer a mild smoke. But when I’m drunk I don’t care so....

What would be a good starter? And where to order?

Thanks!

It is never too early to buy tobacco, especially when it is on sale!

Don’t waste your time and money on a $10/oz fancy blend right out of the gate. As a couple others have stated, re-start your piping with a mild burley drugstore brand, until you re-hone your skills and tastes from there. As long as it hasn’t been sitting in a hot drugstore case since the Carter era, you should be assured of a decent and reliable first few smokes. PA, CH, and SWR are the main ones. If you want to impress the wife, SWR Aromatic is ok.

Don’t invite the Captain aboard when just getting underway. If you are careless, he’ll burn your boat down and leave his ghost behind to torment future passengers.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Do it.

Velvet is a straight sun dried aged Kentucky lightly topped but the topping doesn’t come through the smoke. It is a very light smoke and should be lightly packed and sipped. If you go at it hard, you will miss it. (My recent experience).

It is never too early to buy tobacco, especially when it is on sale!

So true. Baccy doesn't get cheaper.

Don’t waste your time and money on a $10/oz fancy blend right out of the gate. As a couple others have stated, re-start your piping with a mild burley drugstore brand, until you re-hone your skills and tastes from there.

That's good advice. And if you like Burleys, explore the Danish ontake on these blends by smoking Mac Baren's Golden Extra. From there it's just a step forward to the already mentioned more Virginia driven Mixture Scottish.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Excellent smoking pipes all, although I'd ditch the filters if it were me...a soggy mess in my experience. I prefer cramming a pipe cleaner or two when things get gummed up.

... whereas I much prefer them with filters, specifically the 6mm Savinelli balsa ones. Those Medico ones are OK, but the balsa ones do a better job (give a drier smoke), and don't turn to mush.

Good choice on the Ozark Cherrywood, Jason. Despite adding various briars to the array, that remains one of my favourite smokes. Do note though, that the flavour of the first few smokes will be woodstain tinged. Once that burns off and settles down, it'll give you many fine smokes.

Top Bottom