What's new

Is it time for a scuttle forum?

If one is created, I will quickly join! I just took delivery of a Q-Shave scuttle, and love the results.
Q-Scuttle.jpg

x

@BobbyB, I definitely think a scuttle with a hot water reservoir makes a big difference. I also think there are other items (accessories) that can fit into this section, like razor stands, brush stands, etc. And I think vintage scuttles would be of interest. The one I show below allows for addition of water by dipping into the large lip.

il_340x270.2809532478_6ac9.jpg

linty1

My wallet cries.
I would also appreciate a section for bowls and scuttles, maybe not its own category, but like how its done with the razor subsections? Like where its "double/single/blades" you know? Or like put it at the bottom of the "general discussion" like that.

I’m not sure if a shave scuttle forum would be very active. I get the impression that most shavers face lather and of those that don’t, most of them use a bowl. So we are definitely in the minority.

95306240-BBA0-451C-ABEE-FBFCE7F04A2C.jpeg

Savanah Shave Scuttle

I recently purchased a Georgetown Scuttle and love it. I also have a brush scuttle which I also love. It depends on whether I will bowl lather for face lather. My vote (if anyone is asking) is yes for a separate forum (or sub-forum).

@BobbyB, I definitely think a scuttle with a hot water reservoir makes a big difference. I also think there are other items (accessories) that can fit into this section, like razor stands, brush stands, etc. And I think vintage scuttles would be of interest. The one I show below allows for addition of water by dipping into the large lip.

View attachment 1232760
I really like the vintage scuttles and they're easy to come by. Got all of mine in charity shops and I've never paid more than £2 for one. I don't use them but they make interesting display pieces. The one on the far left has my alum stored in which helps keeps it dry because of the drainage holes. I did have a plain blue one but dropped it.
_20210306_171301.JPG

Having "had my fun" in an earlier post, guess I should contribute something more substantial... My 2+1 bowls/scuttles:
PXL_20210306_171949513-01.jpegPXL_20210306_171922508-01.jpeg

The white/grey one is a rice bowl I used for the first two years of traditional shaving before I learned about scuttles. It still sees use for test lathers, but not for shaving.

The blue one is my daily use scuttle, probably 90% of the time. (The remaining 10% is face lathering for sticks and occasionally just because.) It came from an artist on Etsy and has held up remarkably well through 6 years of daily use.

The brown one is from a local potter. It's too small for my tastes, but has an interesting experimental feature. There's a hole in the inner bowl, just under the lip.
PXL_20210306_172051967-01~2.jpeg
In use one simply tips the scuttle toward the side with the hole and a small trickle of water from the hot water tank flows into the inner bowl to add water to the lather. I like the feature, but not the size of the scuttle. Unfortunately, soon after creating this experimental piece the artist hung up his apron.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Having "had my fun" in an earlier post, guess I should contribute something more substantial... My 2+1 bowls/scuttles:
View attachment 1232864View attachment 1232862

The white/grey one is a rice bowl I used for the first two years of traditional shaving before I learned about scuttles. It still sees use for test lathers, but not for shaving.

The blue one is my daily use scuttle, probably 90% of the time. (The remaining 10% is face lathering for sticks and occasionally just because.) It came from an artist on Etsy and has held up remarkably well through 6 years of daily use.

The brown one is from a local potter. It's too small for my tastes, but has an interesting experimental feature. There's a hole in the inner bowl, just under the lip.
View attachment 1232865
In use one simply tips the scuttle toward the side with the hole and a small trickle of water from the hot water tank flows into the inner bowl to add water to the lather. I like the feature, but not the size of the scuttle. Unfortunately, soon after creating this experimental piece the artist hung up his apron.
That is really ingenious! Sad that he stopped throwing pots...

I love the idea of this thread, but since I face lather nearly exclusively I will just look upon the lovely postings here with some jealousy...

Top Bottom