What's new

Is it possible to Not have a favorite blade?

Thanks for the feedback. I am halfway through a sampler. I have held off on the feather as everyone says they are wicked sharp. May try now that I kind of know what I am doing. My beard is not coarse so may be why I haven’t found one that does not cut. Kind of fun to keep switching it up. Kind of like drinking beer, I will drink about anything.

I'll admit that I like the blades that I like more for the branding and where they are made than for the fact that their performance is so superior to anything else out there.
IMO, other than Feathers or Kais, I dont notice a huge difference from 1 blade to another. Sure, some are sharper and some are smoother but they all kind of do the same thing.
For a long time, Ive been a Personna Lab Blue fan, mostly because they are a blade that I find performs well and they are the only DE blade that is made in the USA. If they were no longer made in the US, I doubt that Id still use them.

I haven't tried all that many blades (maybe around 15 total?). I have noticed that I liked some blades better than others. If anything, I've found that the coating on the blades makes a difference for me. In general, I found stainless steel blades and chrome coated blades don't work as well for me. In fact, some such blades that ended up in my "never again" pile. OTOH, I've found a preference for platinum (and titanium*) coated blades. Of course, YMMV.

While I do have a favorite blade (thus far), admittedly, I haven't tried enough blades to verify that it is my absolute favorite nonpareil. That said, I am very happy with this blade as well as with several other blades I have tried. I am in no rush to try other blades, though neither will I reject trying them out of hand.

Ultimately, with shaving being such a personal matter, whether you have a favorite blade, a number of favorite blades, or just blades you enjoy better than others is entirely up to you. That said, part of the fun of the hobby, for many, is trying out the various blades out there. Of course, for others, trying different blades pales in comparison to trying different razors, soaps, or aftershaves. Again, this is such a YMMV hobby, there really is no one single way to enjoy it. Instead, find what works for you or makes you happy about the hobby.

*At least the names and packaging include the use of the word titanium, whether the blades are actually coated in titanium, I have no idea.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am of a similar opinion as the OP, but I have found that blades fall into the "good" or "sucks" category for me (good = cuts the whiskers; sucks = doesn't cut the whiskers without excessive effort). Thankfully, most fall into the "good" category for me. There are other differences like longevity, cost, relative sharpness, smoothness, etc. Longevity, cost and "good"/"sucks" determine my future bulk restocking purchases.
Well put my friend.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Yes. Aside from some real stinkers, most blades perform well for me.

Let me point out that I've yet to try Kais or Feathers. Maybe one of these days when I do some ordering and need to boost my spending to qualify for free shipping, I'll give 'em a shot.

I'm in the same camp with @chuckd and @nemo - a blade either works for me or it doesn't. About 3 out of 4 I have tried don't, the rest do and I reorder (all) the cheapest when I run out. That being said, the sampler is only 4 manufacturers (out of at least 17 worldwide AFAIK)

It's possible you haven't yet found that one blade that's just "it". For me it's the BIC Chrome Platinum, which is still shocking to me because I always found their disposables to be on the level of shaving with the edge of a tin can lid, but their DE blades on the other hand just work perfectly for me, not overly sharp like Feathers are for me where any weepers I get stick around all day or the butter knife dull Derbys or the decent but very much "meh" performances of Rapira/Voskhod or Tiger/Tatra. At this point I just use different blades either because I have some I just wanna use up or just for the sake of variety 😅

Sometimes whatever blade is in my razor is my favorite. Next week it changes. I get along really well with at least a dozen blades, and passably well with dozens more.

That said for my birthday and Christmas I pull out a Super Iridium. I don't know that it is my favorite but because I only use 2-3 a year it seems special so my enjoyment of it is elevated.

I don’t really have a favorite blade.
I’ve stockpiled 1200 of 7 different brands. Almost all are Russian made. I don’t let their shave quality and performance influence me. I get good shaves from all of them. I like them all equally.

Top Bottom