What's new

Is it possible to be allergic to certain blades?

Hi all,
I was just looking for some feedback on something that has happened with a few different blades.
I have not been DE shaving for all that long. Under a year in fact, but have tried a good few blades thus far:
Chinese and Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword
Feather
Derby extra
Derby Premium
Bic Chrome platinum
Gillette 7 o'clock black
Voskhod
Astra Green
Persona blue
Sharp Star
Shark Super Chrome

However, when shaving with a few of these blades I get terrible red razor rash and bumps which is both unsightly and painful. It tends to last for up to 36 hours. The blades which gave me the nastiness are Feather, Derby extra, Gillette 7 o'clock black, and Shark Super Chrome.
Is it possible that I am having an allergic reaction to these blades?
Thank you in advance.
Lee

I've tried over 60 different blades, and when I test a new blade I try to keep the rest of the shaving set up as close as possible.

Only 2 blades have made my face react and that's a Derby Extra, and a Derby Premium.

It could well be possible you have an allergy to other things as well, I'd try to isolate as many variables to see what is the cause of the irritation.

I would like to thank you all very very much for the effort you have put into your responses. There certainly is a great number of variables to take into account.
I shall have a sit-down and think about a plan of attack.

Im glad you brought this up Badlee. I’ve been shaving for about 11 years now and it wasn’t until I switched to the Gillette Yellows that I started getting huge bumps where I’ve nicked myself. The last one I got was on my face below my chin and it resembled a tumor it was so big.

After a taking a closer look at the yellows it looks like they’re platinum coated. I’ve switched to Gillette Silver Blues which are teflon coated and a bit sharper however, I haven’t had any of those huge masses in awhile.

But in your case it’s kinda difficult to pinpoint what exactly is giving you your trouble. It could be your technique which improves the more you shave. It could be your lathering routine. I think I read someone else say in your search to pinpoint what is giving you your trouble to change only one variable at a time. That will help you along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the exact same preshave products you may use, soap/cream, ,brush, aftershave, and et cetera are used each and every time and the only variable is the blade, then it's possible that the coating on the blade is what bothers you. Otherwise, it could be a number of variables.

Add in whatever chemicals are used on the line while manufacturing. Also, it could be borderline sensitivities to multiple items so it's only when they all gang up.

I shall have a sit-down and think about a plan of attack.

Pick a setup of Soap, brush, razor and after shave if you use it.
If you use different towels or preshaves decide on one as well.

Now shave with different blades. Do full shaves each time. Watch out for deviations in technique (i. e. several touch up passes) and shaving interval (one day between shaves versus several).

Write down results after every shave and compare when enough data is acquired.

HTH
godek

Platinum is unreactive, and anything that expensive will be used in very small amounts.

On the other hand, it is famously a catalyst (a passive breeding ground for reactive molecules).

I would not be at all surprised if the cocktail of materials in a random hand of soaps, preshaves, aftershaves and balms turned up some nasty catalytic combination.

My bet would be to try a different blade, without platinum.

Top Bottom